Planning permission for a sky dish?

nickilubs

Reaction score
We got a Sky dish fitted a few weeks ago. Mainly because of the digital switch over down here in the new year and the fact that with out a dish you can only get itv and sometimes c4! (We still have to pay tv license even though no BBC channels :wall: ) Anyway this morning we had a letter come through saying they have come out and inspected the property and that we should of got planning permission to have a dish put up? Every house around here has a dish because with out one you don't have tv. I have tried to look up the conditions of being allowed one and unless where we live is classed as a "area of outstanding natural beauty" which I know its not then we haven't breached any rules? The dish is under 95cm it is on the front of the house but is certainly not imposing or blocking any ones views and it isn't obstructing or anything it was professionally fitted too.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen?

They have said that because its not too big a problem then we can keep it but if we don't get permission then the landlord may have problems selling in the future. And if someone has reported it in the first place then someone must have a problem which means if we apply then we wont get it anyway:?

In the place where we lived previously it was a listed building in a conservation area (it was an old mill) and just as we were leaving residents were putting in a joint planning application to have a communal dish fitted. Someone who just went and got one installed without permission was told to remove it.

Do you know any of your neighbours? Could you ask them what the deal was with theirs? Even if they hadn't let you keep it the chances are you would have been able to appeal on the basis that others in the area have them too.

Can you answer yes to any of these questions?

In England and Wales? Answer these questions:

1. Is the property a house (ie not a flat or commercial building) and is there an existing dish (e.g. Sky dish), on the house or in the garden?
Yes No

2. Is the property a house and located in a National Park or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or a designated Conservation Area or Norfolk Broads; and does it have a south facing wall or roof which faces onto a road or Norfolk Broad waterway? (Also answer yes if you can fix a dish at the side of the property facing south but it can still be seen from the road/waterway).
Yes No

3. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats, taller than 15 metres high and with two or more satellite dishes?
Yes No

4. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats, less than 15 metres high and with an existing dish, eg. Sky dish?
Yes No

5. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats and located in a National Park or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or a designated Conservation Area or Norfolk Broads?
Yes No

6. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats, less than 15 metres high, or the dish is to be located 15 metres or less on a taller building ; and the property has a south facing wall or roof which faces onto a road or Norfolk Broad waterway? (Also answer yes if you can fix a dish at the side of the property facing south but it can still be seen from the road/waterway.)
Yes No

Remember: all parts of each question must be true for a 'Yes' answer. If any answer to any question is 'Yes', then planning permission's likely to be needed and we suggest you download our Planning Pack.

But tbh - if everyone else has one then I don't think they could rightly deny you.

Tadpole said:
Can you answer yes to any of these questions?

In England and Wales? Answer these questions:

1. Is the property a house (ie not a flat or commercial building) and is there an existing dish (e.g. Sky dish), on the house or in the garden?
Yes No

2. Is the property a house and located in a National Park or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or a designated Conservation Area or Norfolk Broads; and does it have a south facing wall or roof which faces onto a road or Norfolk Broad waterway? (Also answer yes if you can fix a dish at the side of the property facing south but it can still be seen from the road/waterway).
Yes No

3. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats, taller than 15 metres high and with two or more satellite dishes?
Yes No

4. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats, less than 15 metres high and with an existing dish, eg. Sky dish?
Yes No

5. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats and located in a National Park or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or a designated Conservation Area or Norfolk Broads?
Yes No

6. Is the property a commercial building or a block of flats, less than 15 metres high, or the dish is to be located 15 metres or less on a taller building ; and the property has a south facing wall or roof which faces onto a road or Norfolk Broad waterway? (Also answer yes if you can fix a dish at the side of the property facing south but it can still be seen from the road/waterway.)
Yes No

Remember: all parts of each question must be true for a 'Yes' answer. If any answer to any question is 'Yes', then planning permission's likely to be needed and we suggest you download our Planning Pack.

But tbh - if everyone else has one then I don't think they could rightly deny you.

No to all the questions. Hummm in some ways I do want to call the council and ask why they are saying it. But at the same time I know that would be acknowledging the problem and then they may try and force the planning permission on us. I will talk to the landlord and show him the letter and ask what he would like us to do. I'm pretty sure he will just say to remove it when we move out.

We've just moved to a new house on a brand new estate, and we were told that if we wanted a Sky dish we had to ask Midas Homes and they will tell us where to put it, because they don't want the estate looking like 'Sky Dish City' (Their words, not ours!). We didn't take any notice, we put one up anyway. It's on the front of the house, which is the only place they can put it because it's too dangerous to go round the side of the house and put one at the back.

To be honest, if there's no law against it then why shouldn't you have one? It's ridiculous if you ask me :shakehead:

When we were in rented accommodation, it said in our tenancy agreement that we were not allowed to attach anything to the exterior of the house (which included sky dishes and even aerials!) However, we lived in a little court and nobody had even an earial on their roof (luckily with a booster we could just about get the aerial to receive most channels with it in the loft!) - one house had a sky dish installed and it didn't stay there long so I'm guessing they were told to get rid of it. We all received a letter shortly after from the people that owned the land (all properties were leasehold) stating that nothing should be attached to the exterior.

My very long winded point is, if you are renting (or own the proprty but it is leasehold) it is worth gettnig in touch with your landlord just to check they are okay with it.

Who was your letter from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back