Pill contraception after birth.

R11

Reaction score
Hello all.

First post here and I'm turning to a forum as I need to get some advice.

I'm a new father and just wanted to check the validity of what I've been told about contraception. So, here goes.

My partner and myself (Well, my partner really) had a baby nearly 9 weeks ago now by c-section. Everything went to plan and no problems after the c-section and she has healed well.
I asked about when contraception can be used again and when we can start having sex again. I was told that as she has recently just had her first proper period since the birth she has to wait until her next period to start taking the pill and then have to wait another until her next period till the pill will start being effective.

The information above was told to me by my partner and part of me does believe her but I don't know what to believe tbh.

Now as I'm male I'm fully aware of how I might come across only thinking about sex etc etc but I just wanted other people opinions on this matter? And nearly 3 months without is a long time. :shock:

Also, please no posts along the lines of "Sit down and talk to your partner and discuss this" and I'm fully aware as to not pressurise my partner into anything she ain't ready to do, that's why I'm asking here.

I'm just curious as to other people's views.

Sex should go by when she feels ready- c section is major abdominal surgery so although they say a 6 week healing period after birth it differs from person to person.
I personally haven't heard of waiting until your period to take the pill unless your changing your pill. I thought you could start it where ever you are in your cycle and then use extra protection for a week? Maybe it depends on what pill she's taking.

No when starting a new pill after no contraceptives and like OP says she did have a period again, if you start the new pill on the first day of period it will be safe immediate after, you could wait an entire month but that is only necessary if you were to start the new pill during a cycle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back