peeeed off with maternity pay! anyone else?

Im gonna feel the pinch too. I'm self employed so I get maternity allowance only which is the same as smp and is considerably less than what I earn. Knew this would be the case so plan to manage on hubbies earnings for six months so that I can take that time off with baby. It seems v frustrating that I pay tax the same as anyone employed yet I don't get anywhere near what I earn when on maternity leave not even for a few weeks! x

Last edited:
I really worry about this too ......... not preg yet but desp trying !!! I dont understand why you dont get full pay for at least a couple of weeks and only get 90% because as i understood it you arent actually allowed to work for a few weeks after baby born due to medical reasons so surely you should have full pay to cover you while you cant work !!!! RANT OVER....... come on government sort it out !!!!!!!!!! so not fair !!! xx

Just looked it up now....... you should take compulsary maternity leave for 2 weeks following childbirth !!! So why oh why do we not get paid 100% of our wages while we arent 'allowed' to work ??

In the states, at least where I am at, we can take up to 12 weeks off - pay is based on the amount of "sick time" and "paid time off" I've accumulated. By the time this baby comes I will probably get paid out at approx 75% (max) of my full pay - that is assuming no one gets really sick and I have to use up more time than I'm planning! But - I did sign up for short term disability, so that will def. help out. I don't believe we can take more than 12 weeks off without losing our job? No one does it anyway...not that I wouldn't LOVE to!

13 weeks at full pay??? Your company are being generous!

All I am getting is what my company have the pay me by law - 6 weeks at 90% pay and then 33 weeks at £124.

I to am used to alot more to live on per month to but I we were well aware what the maternity pay was before I got pregnant! x

Thats wot I am on, the 6weeks 90% pay and then £124 a week there after for 33weeks. Its not a lot, but its better than nothing and I get to spend time with Alfie rather than paying someone to have him for the first few months. Me and OH looked into it and made sure we could still cover our expenses x

Last edited:
I'm starting to put some away each month now, just because I know I won't manage to pay everything otherwise. I'm also saving up my annual leave entitlement for this year (29 days) so thats a month of there, full pay. It's not good though is it xx

Im gonna feel the pinch too. I'm self employed so I get maternity allowance only which is the same as smp and is considerably less than what I earn. Knew this would be the case so plan to manage on hubbies earnings for six months so that I can take that time off with baby. It seems v frustrating that I pay tax the same as anyone employed yet I don't get anywhere near what I earn when on maternity leave not even for a few weeks! x

Im self employed to an in the same position OH self employed to so fingers crossed he can keep busy:wall2:

There is something called 'keep in touch' days...... you can work up to 10 days during your maternity leave and get paid for the days you work on top of your maternity ..... i was thinking of maybe doing 2 days a week for the last 5 weeks of my maternity......... thats if i ever get pregnant lol xxxxxx !!!!

Constantstar you are very lucky hun, Esp as I'm pretty sure I do the same job as you from a prev post of yours (albeit a diff county) & all I get is:
6 weeks at 90% pay and then 9 weeks at half pay, then stat after that, & thats if I get it, due to budget cuts I may be out of a job just before I took mat leave x

I was made redundant on xmas eve so I am no longer entitled to SMP, I need to apply to see if I can get maternity allowance which starts off at £124 per week, suppose its better than the £65 per week I'm getting at the moment on job seekers allowance

I'm only going to get the £124 too :(

It is a shame because obviously I'd like to spend more time with baby before going back to work but can't afford to. I should get 6 months with her but it depends how we are doing for money as if we are struggling I will have to go back early. I appreciate that some people don't even get 6 months though, so still think I'm lucky with that.

im going to do 4 months off but go back to work term time only, so every six weeks or so il have 1 or 2 weeks off with my little one which is perfect. Id love 6 months off but just can live on £124 a week. Im getting 13 weeks full pay and gpoing to take 3 weeks a/l to bring me to 4 months- think my first week back would be half term so that would mean an extra week :)

Constantstar you are very lucky hun, Esp as I'm pretty sure I do the same job as you from a prev post of yours (albeit a diff county) & all I get is:
6 weeks at 90% pay and then 9 weeks at half pay, then stat after that, & thats if I get it, due to budget cuts I may be out of a job just before I took mat leave x

really, if you do the same job as me apparently we cant get made redundant??!! PM me!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back