Peed off with nursery over Rubys lunch....

Rubys mummy

Reaction score
Ruby is at stage 2 weaning now-mashed and lumpy. She is at nursery 2 full days a week....they give her lunch only as I give her brekkie and her tea as she likes to eat late and throws a strop if they try to feed her @ 4.30pm with the other kids :roll:

Anyway, we dont eat red meat at all-OH and I only eat chicken, bit of fish and mainly Quorn. Not for any reason other than thats what we like....

I asked nursery not to give her any red meat, I dont mind her having chicken and fish, and their cook also offers a vegetarian option which is what I would prefer her to have, and have stated this on her food chart

Dropped her at nursery yesterday, and rang after lunch to see how she was....one of the nursery nurses came on and said "Oh Zoe, I need to apologise, I accidently gave Ruby scouse for lunch (its a traditonal liverpool stew made with beef and veg)...I reacted well on the phone-I was glad she was honest with me but now I have had time to reflect I am really annoyed that she was given this when I specifically asked for no meat, and its on her food chart too....

Should I have a word with the nursery manager? I dont want the girl to get in trouble, she couldnt apologise enough when I picked Ruby up, but I still feel a bit peed off over it.

I have a serious nut allergy and have to be so carefull with what I eat, imagine if a child there also had an allergy and was given something they shouldnt?? :think:

Am I just over reacting???

BY the way, she ate every mouthful of the scouse, and loved it :roll: :rotfl:

Personally, i'd probably mention that you don't want it happening again, but I wouldn't go all guns blazing. As you say, its not for religious or allergy reasons, just your preference (and if she ate it all.....my word.....she'll be a red meat rebel to you when she's older :wink: )

Perhaps, just a little word with manager and say, you understand the girl is very apologetic, and you are thankful that she had the courtesy (& courage!) to be honest, specifically request that no disciplinary action is taken (if you feel that way) but that you wanted to mention it for the reasons you've told us above (allergies etc).

Emmylou said:
Personally, i'd probably mention that you don't want it happening again, but I wouldn't go all guns blazing. As you say, its not for religious or allergy reasons, just your preference (and if she ate it all.....my word.....she'll be a red meat rebel to you when she's older :wink: )

Perhaps, just a little word with manager and say, you understand the girl is very apologetic, and you are thankful that she had the courtesy (& courage!) to be honest, specifically request that no disciplinary action is taken (if you feel that way) but that you wanted to mention it for the reasons you've told us above (allergies etc).

Thats EXACTLY what I want to say :hug: I really like the girl, and the nursery and I couldnt bear for her to get into trouble over it...she was nearly crying when I saw her...oh God, now I feel like a right cow bag!!! :oops: :oops:

No, I still feel I should mention it but defo request it doesnt come back badly on the girl..I told her I had admired her honesty.

I would mention it because I think it's quite a big issue personally, fair enough it's not for religious or allergy reasons, but it's YOUR family preferences all the same, but if it was for allergy reasons, then there's no room for apology, so mentioning it now will stop any future re-occurence. It's out of order seeing as it was also on her food chart :shakehead: I'd not want to get anyone into trouble either but you're not going to be having a word for no reason, you have every right to tell them, and I hope it doesn't happen again as it sounds like a lovely nursery which Ruby loves, from your previous posts, very best wishes :hug:

Ahhh Zoe, bet there wasn't much meat in the scouse, mostly potatoes and veg :wink: I do understand though, you feel a bit miffed as you'd specifically asked for her not to have red meat.

Don't shout at me ......but having a long history of working with kids, it is sooo easy to be demented and for something that means sooo much to a parent to slip your mind!!! I'm a Mum myself now so can identify more with a parent's point of view so do know why you're pee'd off.

Any serious allergies are taken VERY seriously. Food preferences might not take priority in a busy nursery setting ....... and the girl was very apologetic and had the guts to come clean, that says a lot as Ruby wouldn't have told you she'd had scouse, would she?!

Sorry, just playing devil's advocate. I'd say it sounds like a good nursery. :hug:

Certainly a difficult call. :think: Part of me says let it slide, you dont want to get the nurse into trouble. But the other part is telling me that, although you dont want to make a huge issue of this, you do want to mention it, as if you dont, your preferences may be taken even less seriously - you know:

"Mary, we seem to have fixed less fish than we need today"
"Ah, dont worry, we can give Ruby meat, her mom doesnt REALLY mind, it is only preference, not an allergy"...

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa[/i]

I would have a quiet word in the managers ear and say you have already spoken to th girl and dont want her to get ino any kind of troubl but you dont want it happeneing again either as you and th family dont eat red meat.
Like you said no need for all guns blazing as you dont want to create a atmosphere abd spoil the relationship you have with your daughters nursery.[/b]

I was a nursery manager and to be honest i would have wanted to know like you say this could have been an allergy thing? on the other hand i would also be happy that she was honest i've met a few that wouldn't have been :x just mention it she may even know

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back