• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

On Demand or Set Feeding Times

Zodiac

Reaction score
How old should a baby be before you start bringing set feeding times versus being on demand.

At the moment I'm still doing demand feeding - but sometimes this means LO spends most of his time either feeding or asleep.

Should I be waking him up to play an hour or so before I think he needs feeding?

As I'm on demand - this sometimes messes up the time I put him to bed too as if he's crying for boob, I can't get him bathed beforehand and then the bedtime rouine goes tits-up!

Should I be more assertive???

I always fed Dylan on demand but around 10 weeks he got himself into a routine that meant bedtime was about 7pm....during the day feeds started to get into a routine(ish) about 14 weeks xx

i fed melissa on demand until she was 6 months old when i started solids properly, then the meals were set times but the BF was still demand.
i switched her to formula when she was 8 months, and since then her milk is set times too (altho afternoon bottle can vary between 2 and 4pm)

but some babies get on with set times right from the start. x

Ive fed Livvy every 3 hours from birth... with the exception of through the night, (shes been sleeping through since about 6 weeks). Recently shes extended to 4 hourly, with solids as well (when she can be tempted).

I found if I let her get too worked up wanting a feed, then it would just stress us all out.

Every family is different and all our babies are suited to different things. If you feel you need a bit of routine for yourself, try feeding every 3 and a half hours or so. See where that takes you.
Its just trial and error alot of the time I think!

Good luck xx

I personally dont agree with set feeding times. I fed on demand and let both my kids settle into their own feeding routine.

I always fed on demand but now have roughly the same time every day for solids (depends if we are out and about or at home)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back