OMG! My mother!

Sarah7

Reaction score
She does my head in at the best of times but she keeps calling and asking how I am and if i so much as say I feel sick she tells me it's not normal I should go to a doctor and demand scans and all sorts. Is entirely alarmist and very unhelpful. In an ideal world I'd never have had to tell her I'm pregnant lol.
Last week she told me that 'women are never actually sick with morning sickness' I dont know how the woman came out of 5 pregnancies with less knowledge than the average teenager. It's shocking and annoying and I'm fed up of being told that I shouldn't be so tired, I shouldn't be peeing every hour or 2 that I shouldn't be feeling sick or anything else!
Sorry for the rant just needed it out and shouldn't keep ranting to OH all the time... Anyone else got nightmarish family who are really stressful and frustrating?

God help your mother if she met me then, I vomit by the second!
Bless, how annoying but at least she cares x

She does my head in at the best of times but she keeps calling and asking how I am and if i so much as say I feel sick she tells me it's not normal I should go to a doctor and demand scans and all sorts. Is entirely alarmist and very unhelpful. In an ideal world I'd never have had to tell her I'm pregnant lol.
Last week she told me that 'women are never actually sick with morning sickness' I dont know how the woman came out of 5 pregnancies with less knowledge than the average teenager. It's shocking and annoying and I'm fed up of being told that I shouldn't be so tired, I shouldn't be peeing every hour or 2 that I shouldn't be feeling sick or anything else!
Sorry for the rant just needed it out and shouldn't keep ranting to OH all the time... Anyone else got nightmarish family who are really stressful and frustrating?

My mums the complete opposite ... wish she was more like yours. I spent most of yesterday lying on the bathroom floor and she keeps giving it ... "You're not sick, you're pregnant" .. I'm sorry mother but my vomit disagrees!

I think its lovely thats she's really caring, but I can see how it would be frustrating. Maybe you can get her a wee book, or point her in the direction of a website, or an app for her phone, so she knows whats normal and what isn't?

You're both right... Im behaving like a moody teenager when I should be grateful she's interested and cares. We've always had a somewhat tense relationship and feeling so crap today pushed me over the edge a bit in the frustration stakes. I think mostly it's the alarmist stuff, surely she should keep me a bit calm and tone it all down a bit. I've been prone to anxiety issues in the last so I don't need stressing out ( not that anyone does)
A book or a website might do the trick... Don't suppose anyone knows of any books that exist that are aimed at grandparents to be at all?

Last edited:
Oh dear bless you hun! it is nice she cares but she shouldn't be upsetting you. Hmm its a difficult one, hopefully she will calm down as the weeks go on.

My mum is fab but my mother in law is having a hard time keeping her mouth shut and keeps dropping massive hints in front of other people, argh! X

Last time my parents were like that, calling me 3 times per day, telling me to eat fruit, asking if i t ate my vegetables, throughing tantrums if I said i went to the supermarket imagininimg I was carrying a ton of groceries :shock: they drove me crazy lol. This time I didn't tell them yet and still debating if to tell them before the baby is here or so lol (they live in a different country)

Last edited:
My mum is quite annoying at times, but not as bad as yours, you poor thing! Mine remembers everything I say, from what I ate yesterday to if I'm constipated lol! And every time I speak to her recalls everything, I've even told little white lies about certain personal things, so she stops asking lol! I know its coz she cares but its still annoying! I definitely sympathise hun :) x x

Aww bless you, yep your mum sounds annoying but at least she cares. She probably doesn't realise how she is panicking you, sounds like she is the worried pregnant woman lol. Is this her first grandchild? xx

Sarah-my mum is another alarmist, the idea of exercise is "dangerous"!

I don't think it helps I haven't had a great track record having mc'd twice but when I had to go to a&e last weekend she was more doomful than me, I love her to pieces but for my sanity getting out of tri 1 will be such a help!xxx

awww poor you. can you and other half get away for a few days to chill out and enjoy each other? x

Thank you so much everyone, it's lovely to be able to rant and get such great responses.
It's a relief to know I'm not the only one with a mum who doesn't quite know where the boundary is. It's not her first grandchild but the first that will be local so her first chance to really fuss! Also I'm a lot younger than my siblings who have a different dad so I'm her 'baby' really. Just need her to back off and like others said, cannot wait to be out of tri1 lol. I need to convince her i know how to eat and that im not going to run marathons or carry bags of bricks. Me and oh are going away Friday to Sunday, so that might be the relief I need, although I have a few days to look forward to her telling me a long drive will be harmful!
Thank you again, and I hope the rest of your mums chill out a bit too! :)
xx

Gosh it does sound a bit annoying but it could be worse my mum is already disagreeing with every parental choice I say I believe in and being that she's a nursery nurse and previously a nanny she think her word is law!my mum is just negative all the time so at least your mum cares in her own way. I think your break will do good I went and stayed with my friend when my mum got too mum and she seemed to calm down a little now. Hope your doing okay though xx

Morning Sarah! If you're an anxious person like me somebody telling you what you're going through isn't normal is really not helpful! Like the other girls say it's nice to think that she cares but it's an unfortunate way of showing it!!!
I found this link on the NHS site that might be helpful to give to her or casually leave next to her cuppa!
She might accept it's a normal symptom if she sees it in black and white from an authority.
GOOD LUCK!!! :hugs:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Morning-sickness/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back