• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Olan Mills Rant

Amanda

Reaction score
This is going to be quite a long rant, so please bear with me!

We booked in at the local Olan Mills studio for 5pm Thursday evening. They are advertising a Family Pack on their website where for £40 you get 3 photo sessions over the year, and a 10x8 print from each, and obviously the option to buy more prints each time. I called their c/s line as this is normally bought as a gift box, and I wanted to know if I had to buy the gift for myself and then call to book, or if I could do it direct. I was told that I could book the session with them, and then pay £40 for the pack when I got there. So, off we went.

We got there, and Charlie pooed straight away. :roll: So I asked them where I could change him. They don’t have changing facilities! :shock: So I was directed through to a carpeted area at the back and told I could change him on the floor. Okay, you may say, but there was a woman in there in her underwear getting zipped into a wedding dress!!!! :shock: Their photos had gone wrong on the big day so their photographers had paid for the suit hire and hair and makeup artist, and were also paying for the photos, so they could have new photos. Charlie’s poo smells like rotten eggs!! I kept apologising to the poor woman, and felt sooo embarrassed. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, so then we were called in and the photographer asked what we wanted. I said we had never done this before so had no idea, but loved the modern, natural looking photos on the white background. He said we would start with some traditional poses to start with, so I said to him that they were the one thing I didn’t want as I hated traditional family portrait poses. He then said that he wanted to do a couple like that as we may actually like them. So we went along with it. He said then we would do lots of ‘funky’ poses. Well, he was putting us in different poses and I kept thinking that none of them seemed particularly ‘funky’, but he must know what he’s doing. He wanted one of me and Stu together, and that was the worse out the lot! I’m 4 inches taller than him, but that’s how we are and it doesn’t bother either of us. But the photographer insisted that Stu stood on a box!!! :rotfl: So it looked sooo un-natural. At the end, he did one pose with us all on the floor, and then one of Kayleigh on her own. Then we finished.

We waited outside for 20 minutes, then were called in for viewing. They were horrible. We looked like a Victorian very stiff family!!! :shock: They were all posed, and not natural. Some of them even had the mottled grey background!!!!! :shock: The only 2 half-decent were the last 2 ones.

So I told her that I wanted the one of all of us as the freeby one, and asked how much the one of Kayleigh would be. She had no idea what I meant by the Family Pack! I explained what it was, but she just said that they didn’t sell that in-store, and the photos would be £110 for the two!! :shock: So I got up to walk out, and she said she would go and talk to the manager. She came back and said that on this occasion they would do it as a special offer to us for £25 for the Family Pack, and another £25 for the extra portrait. So I agreed and paid them £50, knowing full well that next time we went I would be better prepared and do some research into the types of poses we wanted.

Well, the MIL has called me this morning to show me this:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/northernireland ... _page.html

So after all that, I’m not getting my photos, and it’s cost us £50 for 2 wasted hours!!!!!! :twisted: I’ve rang the phone number, but it’s Olan Mills c/s line and is shut. I now feel soooo sorry for the people we were talking to who worked there. :( They have just been sacked 10 days before Xmas. :cry: Also there was the poor couple with the wedding photos. :cry: I actually feel kinda lucky that the photos were so crap that we only gave them £50.

I am just so mad that companies can get away with things like this. If you go to olanmills.co.uk they have a message saying that they appointed administrators in the High Court on the 14th December. I paid them £50 at 6pm on the 14th when they were already in liquidation, but have no chance of getting that money back!! Grrr!!!! :evil:

Rant over, thanks for reading!!
:D

ARGH I am fuming for you!!!

Cant believe they made stu stand on a box!!!!!!! .......... :lol:

xxxxx

Why do companies do this to people!!!!

I am sorry that you have lost your £50 and like you said the people who were there getting their wedding snaps done must be mortified..

it really makes you not want to trust anyone!!

:roll: OMG, I used to work for Olan Mills as a makeup artist 6 years ago. I was thinking of going freelance now I have passed my driving test and maybe working with them in the elegance studio again but I def wont be now! :shock:
Im sorry you had such a crap experiance Amanda. Literally with Charlie pooing!!! They train their staff up to do these traditional poses and the photographers have to stick to these which are pretty corny. :shhh:

A similar thing happened to me last year when I booked to go on an egyptian cruice from The Sun paper and Cruice Control went into liquidation and I had to wait 8 months to get my money back :evil: eventhough I paid on my creditcard and had insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apparently it doesnt caver this :roll: I was the last one to know about it and my friend at work told me that they were on crimewatch so I was gutted and felt so cheated :oops:

I really hope you get your money back Amanda as you dont need this at Christmas and as far as the Watch me Grow package, they have done that for years to get people to sign up and then sell them ridiculous prices and pay the staff peanuts! :evil: Im surprized that the staff didnt know anything about the package but then there always was a high turnover of staff there so he may have been new!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the long post but i hope it enlightens you more. x :hug:

Hope you get the photos you want done in the new year. things happen for a reason and you have to go through shit sometimes to get what you want!!!!!!!! x

Oh my god I am so worried now :shock: ! We ordered an amazing wooden block with 5 pictures of us in black and white on it a couple of months ago, when it came in it had a chip in it so we complained and they reordered it, they have had the new one in the store for the last couple of weeks and we haven't got round to picking it up and now I've read this.... I want my pics and I'm so worried now, what do you think will happen?

Not sure hun. The stores are all closed now. If you check their website, there is a number that you can call. I'll keep everything crossed for you. :hug:

I was talking to my dad about this post and he told me that if Olan Mills knew that they were going into liquidation ( which they must have done when you had your pics taken as this process can often take weeks) And they were still trading then you can take them to court and you will be able to get your money back from their insyrance company.. something about recievership ....... I didn't fully understand it but it did sound positive.. You could ring up one of these solicitors that offer free advice for the first appointment if you wanted.

I imagine if I was the couple who had had their wedding pics done I would be more than happy with the negatives rather than the money back.. but as you weren't too keen on yours maybe a refund would be better! lol

Lucy

I really hope they can do something for you. The one in our town is completely closed down - there's a sign on the door from KPMG (the Administrators) stating they will not be fulfilling any orders, and don't foresee that any money will be available to unsecured creditors (i.e. all the poor customers who have paid for their photos but not going to receive them)

The below message is on their website: -

14 December 2006

Olan Mills Holdings Ltd

Olan Mills Ltd (both in administration) (“the Companies”)

Richard Philpott and Myles Halley both of KPMG LLP were appointed in the High Court as Joint Administrators to the Companies on Thursday 14 December 2006.

Following an initial review of the business and its finances, the administrators regret to inform you that the Companies are unfortunately no longer able to continue trading. All stores have now closed and we are unable to fulfil any outstanding orders or appointments.

The administrators are also unable to make any refunds of monies paid. If you are owed money by either of the companies you will need to register your claim by writing to the administrators at 2 Cornwall Street, Birmingham, B3 2DL giving details of the amount you have paid.

At this stage we do not anticipate that any funds will be available to enable a distribution to unsecured creditors.

Customers requiring any further information should call customer services on 08457 585351.

There are also some Q&As - see the link: - http://www.olanmills.co.uk/

I feel very lucky - we were due to take Maddie in on Thursday for her final 'watch me grow' photo and I had to work in the end so cancelled it. I'm so pleased because we've never managed to walk away just with the free photo and have always ended up buying more. But it's not just that - it's knowing those lovely pictures of your baby have been taken and you can't access them.

I would get in touch anyway and register your claim. The picture is probably done, just cannot be distributed - I'm not sure what they will do with these.

I'm so sorry for everyone caught up in this - especially the staff.

LBxx

Lyndsey said:
I was talking to my dad about this post and he told me that if Olan Mills knew that they were going into liquidation ( which they must have done when you had your pics taken as this process can often take weeks) And they were still trading then you can take them to court and you will be able to get your money back from their insyrance company.. something about recievership ....... I didn't fully understand it but it did sound positive.. You could ring up one of these solicitors that offer free advice for the first appointment if you wanted.

I imagine if I was the couple who had had their wedding pics done I would be more than happy with the negatives rather than the money back.. but as you weren't too keen on yours maybe a refund would be better! lol

Thanks Lyndsey, but it seems very unlikely that we'll get our money back. This is on their website:
Question. I have paid a deposit/paid in full and I have not yet received my photographs. Can I have a refund?
Answer. Regrettably Olan Mills is in Administration and we cannot offer to refund money. Your claim is classed as an unsecured creditor claim and you will need to register your claim. This can be done by writing to the administrators at 2 Cornwall Street, Birmingham, B3 2DL giving details of the amount you have paid. We do not anticipate funds being available to pay any dividends to unsecured creditors.

Question. I have a “club plan” with Olan Mills, can I get a refund?
Answer. Olan Mills is in Administration and we cannot offer to refund money. Your claim is classed as an unsecured creditor claim and you will need to register your claim. Register your claim by writing to the administrators at 2 Cornwall Street, Birmingham, B3 2DL giving details of the amount you have paid.

We do not anticipate funds being available to pay any dividends to unsecured creditors.

So looks like we'll get nothing. The other annoying thing is that the money hasn't come out of my bank acount until today. I did ring the bank on Saturday, but they said that as it was paid with a debit card, they must honour it by law. I have to leave it 31 days to see if they'll put the money back, phone Barclays back and get them to try and claim it for me. Not a chance in hell really. :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back