obstetric cholestasis, induction???

sarahk

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about obstetric cholestasis?? My midwife called me on Friday telling me to go to the hospital the next day, apparently they have had some test results back to say I have this. It means they may have to induce baby early.

I'd be interested to see if anyone knows anything about this??

Thanks

Sorry to hear that you have this but there is a "sticky" at the top of the 27-42 forum, this should give you all the information you are going to need

:hug:

Just seen the sticky...cant believe I missed that!!!!!!!! lol :lol: :lol:

i had this with my first (and diagnosed at around the same stage).

i had to have traces done on alice daily, weekly blood tests and weekly scans (the scans where the best bit about having OC) - its a good thing i can see the hospital from my house!!!

i was induced at 37 weeks, so you have a while yet. You should be put on meds to control your levels, have steriod (sp) jabs for baby a bit later on, and vit K to prevent any bleeding that can sometimes occur after birth.

I think that was everything! at least they have dignosed it and can now monitor you and bubs.

there are plenty of mums on here that had this, and now have happy healthy babies.

feel free to PM if you need to :)

Take care and let us know how you get on hun :hug:

all the info is on the sticky (which i'm sure you've read by now) but wanted to give you :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: and to say that it'll all be ok as they know to monitor you now :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The hospital monitered the baby and all was well. They confirmed my blood levels were rising and I have to go back on Wedsnesday for further tests. Ive been given some tablets too.

I was told not to 'google' it, but I did and it scared me a bit!

At least they have detected it early I guess, they seem pretty on the ball.

Bit scared though :(

From what I've heard about it, it seems it's only usually a problem when it's not detected soon enough. At least now your midwife knows about it, it can be controlled :hug: :hug: :hug:

sarahk said:
I was told not to 'google' it, but I did and it scared me a bit!

I had to.. they had bugger all info to give me! My Gp had never heard of it! said he would have given me cream for the itching and sent me home.

You are right though. Now they have detected it they can monitor it.

As is said, there are a few of us on here that have happy healthy babies and suffered this.

Is the itching bad? Mine was worse on the inside of my wrists and used to keep me awake at night. Cold damp flannel use to help loads! i was also given piriton as well to help.

Thats for the responses! :hug:

I'm not itching as much as I was, it was mainly on my chest and legs. I kept itching and came up in a rash, but creams seem to have sorted it. I have been a bit itchy on my fingers and fronts of my feet, but not on my palms or souls.

For those who had babies after having OC, did you have to stay in hospital after for any length of time??

Thanks again for getting back. Ive sailed through most of my pregnancy, so this came as a bit of a shock, especially as I didnt know much about it.

xx

sarahk said:
For those who had babies after having OC, did you have to stay in hospital after for any length of time??

nope. was out the following day.

i can't say anything about the hospital/etc at your end, but they where fantastic after i was diagnosed.

Make sure you keep us update. Let us know what their plan of action is for you.

If they do offer weekly scans enjoy them! it was great to see alice grow week by week.

take care of yourself :hug: :hug:

Isnt that what G3M had, and baby was born at 34 weeks?

no I think she had HELP - a variation on preeclampsia

My friend had OC in both her pregnancies (having had it once I think it is more likely in subsequent pregnancies) she was closely monitored and both babies were a few weeks early but fine - as has been said before it really causes problems when the diagnosis is missed but now that you are diagnosed and monitored all should be fine :)

Thanks again and yes, i'll keep you posted!

I'm hoping to know more on Wednesday, they dont tend to tell you too much which is quite frustrating!!

I'll post back here on weds evening/thurs morning and let you know!

xx

I had bad itching last week and had the blood tests for OC. My bile levels were high and I have had another set of tests today which showed that the levels have come back down again. I'm not on any medication and have been told that I will continue to have blood tests every week, and even if the results continue to be normal they will just keep an eye on me but will let me go full term. If the levels start to rise, I'll probably be induced early.

The main thing is you will now get the extra monitoring, really hope the itching stops soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back