Nystatin for Oral Thrush?

jennywren

Reaction score
girls if anyone has used Nystatin for Oral thrush can you tell me how long it took for it to make a difference?

Os it in a small brown bottle with a pipette in the lid? ? Thin yellowy colour liquid? If so, we used that one and it was really effective for Ella. Good luck :hug:

poppy160 said:
Os it in a small brown bottle with a pipette in the lid? ? Thin yellowy colour liquid? If so, we used that one and it was really effective for Ella. Good luck :hug:

Thats the one yes hun, how long did it take to work, 24 hours so far and not a jot of difference!

I would say about 48 hours, it will go in patches. Give it after drinks/food because you don't want it to was away (Ella was a newborn when she had it so gave it after a feed) and it doesn't matter if he doesn't swallow it, as long as it coats the mouth it will still work. Poor Oran :( Is he affected badly by it? The medicine for it is nasty isn't it?

yeh he is really bad with it (see my thread here)

he is in so much pain with it (I am questioning if it is thrush or not as its not supposed to be painfull) but it started out as tonsillitus & a viral infection which was a mouth full of ulcers and the penacillin for the tonsillitus turned the ulcers in to thrush supposedly. Maybe he does have thrush as at the back it is white and furry but at the front it is still ulcers and when you peel back his lips its ulcers there as well.

Awww poor baby!! I hope it clears up soon for him :( Ella didn't have it that bad, it didn't really affect her. The meds should work pretty quickly, if not then take him back to the docs sharpish. I was prescribed Daktarin for my nipples cause I caught it there and that was very effective, cleared up after a few days. Daktarin can be used in babies' mouths, you have to massage it because it's thicker so it may be more painful for him when applying it :hug: :hug: :hug:

jennywren said:
the penacillin for the tonsillitus turned the ulcers in to thrush supposedly.

just for info - this is how i discovered that i had an allergy to penicillin, it gave me thrush, so perhaps your lo has a slight allergy to it too?
poor baby - i have daktacort for me and daktarin for my baby for our thrush outbreak which has cleared his mouth within one day

aww hun i just read your other post poor oran :hug:

all antibiotics can take 48 - 72 hours to kick in i'm afraid, sounds like he had it very bad too :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

jills10uk said:
jennywren said:
the penacillin for the tonsillitus turned the ulcers in to thrush supposedly.

just for info - this is how i discovered that i had an allergy to penicillin, it gave me thrush, so perhaps your lo has a slight allergy to it too?
poor baby - i have daktacort for me and daktarin for my baby for our thrush outbreak which has cleared his mouth within one day

do you know what this is just what my mum said, she said to write in his baby book exactly the medacine he has been give and that he got thrush and if he ever gets penacillin again, I can double check (my memory is shit so in 2 years all of forgotten lol) and if he gets thrush while on it again we will know he has a slight algeric reaction to it!

i always get thrush when i take antibiotics, its quite common cos the antibiotics kill the friendly bacteria too, doesn't necessarily mean theres an allergy there at all hun :hug:

Aaliyah had oral thrush a few times when she was very young and I was prescribed Daktarin and you noticed it started clearing a couple of hours after 1st application.

me and baby tempy were diagnosed yesterday with thrush. she's got white spots in her mouth and i have a lovly stinging rash on my nipples (i'm breastfeeding). she's been given orage flavoured daktarin gel for her mouth, and i've been given canesten for my boobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back