nursing in public :)

We went out for lunch today and I think the guy sitting on the next table kept looking at me with the corner of his eye, it was really annoying me! Is it "allowed" to feed in public like that or do you have to ask the restaurants permission? It's just that some places have a sticker on their door supporting bf and say it's welcome here as if they will allow it.

You're protected but only if your child is under 6 months! How bad is that?

no, you're protected whatever the age of the child - this was clarified by Government Equalities Office in 2008:

1) There is not, and never has been, any law that prohibits a woman from breastfeeding a child of any age in public, for example in a cafe.

There were new proposals limiting age but they were thrown out under the Sex Discrimination Act :)

Really? Our bf support woman told us that. Will tell her next week x

We've always been protected (well, since 1975 anyway!) under the Sex Discrimination Act (1975). Amendments to this law in 2008 meant to protect 'Maternity Rights' until the child is 6 months old caused some concern because it was thought some people might try to include breast feeding in the definition of 'Maternity'. That's why it was clarified by the Government Equalities Office that you can bf your child in any public place regardless of the age of the child. The Equality Act (2010) consolidates all of the Discrimination Acts (Sex, Race, Equal Pay etc) and is the law that protects us since 2010.

The only time you're not protected is when you're at work (ie you don't have the right to take your baby to work in order to ensure they are breast fed)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back