Nursing Bras, Tops, and sleeping bras - do I need all 3?

CatzEyez

Reaction score
Hey everyone - wondered if anyone could shed some light on what actual nursing underwear is best to use? I've been looking at Mothercare and they do nursing tops (which are just vests with drop clips - which are probably great for sleeping in too), they do normal nursing bras (which I'll get) and then they also do sleeping nursing bras - which are a bit like the vests but more like just the top half of the vest, and look comfy - bit like a crop top bra - is it best to get a few of each or is it not worth bothering with the crop top thing and just getting vests instead?

You will definitely need some sort of bra to sleep in as you'll need to wear breast pads - even if you don't choose to breastfeed you'll still leak for a while. I had the Mothercare sleep bras which I found really comfy, the straps are softer than the normal feeding bra's. If breastfeeding, its best to get nursing bras, you won't want to faff around with a normal bra - you'd literally have to take it off (certainly unclip it at the back). I did have a feeding top but just found it too many layers.... I would have gotten too hot in it if I'd of slept in it. Personal choice though.

I suppose if you were feeding in public then the tops are good, but I wasn't really comfortable doing that.

I would suggest getting plenty of sleep ones though as you'll end up washing them loads. Hope that helps.

Many Thanks - I've just ordered a couple of the sleep ones and a nursing vest to get me started!!

Nursing bras are a must have, it's best for your boobs not to have underwire and whipping them out of a maternity bra would be a pain in the ass. I just wanted to add that maternity tops aren't all that. I was dying for one, was bought one for Christmas and it's rubbish, it still shows off my belly, just as much as if I had a normal top pulled up!

I just used to have clip-down style nursing bra's for when I was feeding (day and night) and wore suitable tops that I already had (strap tops etc). If you do want some feeding tops they do some cheap discreet ones in H&M.
For sleeping in late pregnancy I admit I did use a sports bra type top but I didnt waste my money on a 'maternity' bra.
I agree with whoever posted before me though, anything thats not underwired cos it can block your ducts etc and that hurts like... well it hurts a lot and is generally not a good idea :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back