Nothing important, just a rant.

Bexybun

Reaction score
Dear family, friends and acquaintances (note, not directed at anyone associated with this forum),

I am seriously SO F*CKING SICK of you people thinking I want to hear your negative opinions on mine and OH's baby name choices. Get half a sodding brain, what part of telling a hormonal, emotional pregnant woman "I HATE the name you so lovingly picked" sounds like a good idea?! I am your sister-in-law/daughter/colleague/friend, you're supposed to care about me, not intentionally upset me. Please keep your opinions to yourself, unless you want me to simultaneously throw something at your stupid, inconsiderate head and cry into a tub of ice cream. Now f*ck off. That is all.

:shakehead: :wall2: :roll: :mad: :dohh: :help: :wall: :slap: :gun: :trouble: :censored: :strangle:

Whew, thankyou for listening my lovelies, just had to get it out! :)

Last edited:
:shock: :lol: I know the feeling I felt like that loads of times last year when I told a few people what names I was thinking of.... in the end I just said "We have thought of a few names but not 100% decided yet, so will wait till he or she is born to see what best suits".

We did end up keeping with our original name, even though for a long time my mother kept saying you can't call her Esmé, my mates neighbours dog is called Esmé.

I just felt like screaming at that point who f***ing cares if your neighbours dog is called Esmé, our daughter is not a dog and its a name we both like for our daughter :lol:

Funny enough my mother actually likes the name now. Some people can be inconsiderate, just ignore them hun.

You like the names you like otherwise you wouldn't pick them xx

We did end up keeping with our original name, even though for a long time my mother kept saying you can't call her Esmé, my mates neighbours dog is called Esmé.

Oh my god, WHY DO THEY DO THIS?! Lol. Ages ago my SIL decided to tell me I couldn't use a girl's name I mentioned because it was the name of her elderly neighbour that just died. DID I ASK FOR YOUR F*CKING INPUT?! Grrr!
(Btw, I think Esme is a really lovely name :))

It's just that in the last week, SIX different people have told me or OH they hate the name Evan- not just dislike, they felt strong enough to use HATE. :shakehead: This is literally the only name we have settled on as a couple, we both absolutely love it, and I just don't understand why people think it's ok to be so rude when we're dead set on it- I'd never do that, it's not my place, you know? Grrr x2.

My nan openly turned her nose up at our boys name and said:" if it's a boy I dont see why you don't just name him after your dad"
And when people tend to ask these days I actually say: "we aren't telling. People always give their opinions on baby names, and the only opinions we are interested in are ours, sorry" lol x

Evan is a lovely name! Don't listen to people. They will like any name you choose once they meet the baby and associate it with him or her. Xx

I actually say: "we aren't telling. People always give their opinions on baby names, and the only opinions we are interested in are ours, sorry" lol x

Princess, you ROCK. I am so saying that next time.

My status on fb is about this, no doubt I'm about to start a status war with my SIL but tbh I don't give a sh*t- she spent all yesterday telling OH that Evan is "the worst name ever", she obviously doesn't care about upsetting me.

We have decided to keep names a secret. I let slip to my mum that I liked Rufus for a boy and she immediately said she didn't like it, and joked that if it came to stay with her she'd call it something else!!! We still aren't decided on a boy but we think we have a girls name and it's staying secret!!

And by the way, I think Evan is lovely!!!

Lol - people laugh when we say it, but they don't bother asking again! ;) x

Princess I really like your answer.

It's so rude isn't it? Fair enough if you're asking someones opinion, but if they're asking what you've chosen then it's just plain rude!!

xxx

Evan is a gorgeous name hon, don't let anyone convince you otherwise!!! We have kept our name choice a complete secret so noone can pass judgement until he is already here and it will be too late!!! I just don't understand why when it comes to pregnancy and our babies people feel like they have the right to an opinion, er unless you've carried & grown this baby for 9 mths or it is originated from your sperm then STFU and keep your opinions to yourself :)

^^^WSS

I also think Evan is a lovely name. It's your choice so anyone else can stick it in their pipe and smoke it.

Exactly! I never say "what do you think of this name?" because I know me and OH are set on it, so tbh I don't want to hear that they don't like it. And yesterday OH wasn't asking for any opinions- THEY asked "what names have you chosen?", then proceeded to berate him on it! SIL even said she will refuse to call him that if we have a boy. How rude?!

And it doesn't always change when baby grows up- MIL and SIL both said that they hated the name my other SIL chose for her daughter (Lois), and still do, even though Lo-lo is 3 now. Honestly, some people.

My nan openly turned her nose up at our boys name and said:" if it's a boy I dont see why you don't just name him after your dad"

cos its boring.
my uncle did that so he is Billy (william), his son is billy (william) and his other son is liam (irish william.
i think its a bit unimaginative to do that really. id hate to have the same name as my mum, nothing to be solely mine that way lol

Evan is a lovely name, everyone has an opinion on names and they should just learn to keep their traps shut and if they really hate a name then they should keep it to themselves - we do not need to know! Don't let anyone take the special-ness of your babies name away from you x

So sorry to hear that bexy. Some people are sooooo rude. My cousin's little boy is called Evan - i think its gorgeous.

So far we've been pretty lucky with responses to the boys name we had - although my aunt did ask why we were using the middle name instead of switching them round - we just pointed out that way would give unfortunate initials. lol.

Girls name might get a diff response though. lol.

Keep your chin up - they'll get over it - they just need to.
xxx

Im at the point where if someone called Mary for example turns around and says "I dont like that name" I turn around and make a joke out of it by saying "could be worse, we could be calling it Mary"

OH MY GOD ladies- I soooooooooooooooooooooo know where u are all coming from.
I was very much ' not telling' and then I was so set on, and excited about our names I started to spill n boy do I regret it.
We LOVE Valentine for a girl and people at work started saying 'ooo it'll get called valerie all her life'
Then one of my best froends told me (apparently cos she is a true friend and needs to tell me the truth?!?!) that valentine is too 'way out' and will get bullied at school!!!

FFS - her daughter is called Zaizy - a made up name that it not exactly - 'wall flower' name eh?!

Then when I said I liked Kurt or Curtis- she said she didnt like it as thewre was a fat bully at her school with them same name.

Why cnt people focus on the names from the list which they list rather than focus on the ones they dnt like.

So annoying - not telling close family- I know my MIL ans FIL will have something to say about not using thr Gregory tradition of having Craig as a middle name.

When my friends ask me about their baby names I would never dream of telling them I dont like one of their names as it a personal choice.....ppl seem to think they are doing u a favour by warning u off names!!!!

Rant over !!!! :) Feeling ur pain luvlies xx

I have to say, I'm a teacher and sometimes we do look at the list of names of kids we are getting the next year and have a little giggle, but the worst thing is, now I'm having a baby I want something a little bit different and way out as I get sick of all the run of the mill names that I use in class all day everyday!! So I guess my kid will be one that raises a giggle in someone elses school!!!

Plus as a teacher there are a load of names that I could just never use due to negative associations. But also ones that I would never have considered before that are actually in the running now - I had a really lovely girl in my class last year called Darcy and its made the name seem so much more attractive!

Oh my god, WHY DO THEY DO THIS?! Lol. Ages ago my SIL decided to tell me I couldn't use a girl's name I mentioned because it was the name of her elderly neighbour that just died. DID I ASK FOR YOUR F*CKING INPUT?! Grrr!
(Btw, I think Esme is a really lovely name :))

It's just that in the last week, SIX different people have told me or OH they hate the name Evan- not just dislike, they felt strong enough to use HATE. :shakehead: This is literally the only name we have settled on as a couple, we both absolutely love it, and I just don't understand why people think it's ok to be so rude when we're dead set on it- I'd never do that, it's not my place, you know? Grrr x2.

Sorry hun I've only just seen this reply.
Evan is a lovely name and alot of people here have also said the same thing. So thats final then! Evan is a lovely name and you are having it as you and OH are set on it :dance:
Tell everyone to stick it, you're not interested in their opinion you like the name and thats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back