Not settling at 4am-ish feed.

Nicky_Jones

Reaction score
Help - what am I doing wrong?

Ellena will not settle after her feed at around 4am. We are trying to follow a routine which for the most part she seems happy with. I start the day at 7:30, feed her every 3hrs unless she demands it more often which she does occasionally around 12:30 (2hrs from the previous feed), and she almost always wants and extra feed around 6 - 6:30 in between her 4:30 and 7:30pm feeds. I put her down in the cot after her 7:30 feed and she normally (only twice so far she hasn't) goes straight down and sleeps on her own. I wake her at 11:30 for another feed (a nappy change is normally enough to wake her enough to feed), and again she normally goes straight down. She then wakes me for the next feed, this morning it was 4:10, yesterday was 4:30 but I have a lot of trouble settling her after that feed. I put her down, she starts grunting every few seconds within a few minutes of going down, these then start turning to a cry every few seconds, and then to full on screaming. I burp her for a good amount of time before putting her down and when I go and pick her up I try and burp her again but nothing is coming up. She behaves as if she is unconfortable / has tummy pains BUT I feed her lying down and night (on a sofa bed in the nursery) and after the feed she lies on her side very relaxed and comfortable and starting to drop of to sleep. Last night I couldn't get her settled so I ended up lying with her on the sofa bed and she went to sleep like that, after about 20mins I put her back in the cot, 5mins later she was screaming her head of. I ended up back on the couch with her after ignoring her crying for nearly 10mins (enough to wake my OH!!!!) and left her there, with a cushion position to prevent her rolling off, in case she suddenly learnt how to at 6:45 so I could get 30mins in my own bed. I put her back in the cot and then went in and woke her a minute later. She can sleep on her own but not at that time in the morning. What am I doing wrong, what can I do differently?

i had this problem with Ellis... but he stopped doing it after a week or so!

The grunting think he does too and i have to pick him back up and keep winding, no burps come up but it seems to settle him??!! maybe we are moving the wind to a more comfy position?

Bare with her it might just be a faze! xxxx

That is good to here. I try burbing her, try bending knees up and rubbing her tummy as well, but it only seems to give a few mins relieve.... except she can settle quite happily if I lay there with her!

yep ellis can settle on me fine, but when i put him down he act like he has wind.... maybe we are going to have little actors on our hands!! haha xxxx

Hi

Kiara did this all the time but she stopped after a short amount of time... maybe its just a faze?
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back