Not eating when with people..

jazzmum2be

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me, or if its just me being odd lol.
I cant eat infront of people.
I hate it.
Im ok with my close familly, like my mum and stuff.
But if the whole familly get together or im with a group of friends, I could sit there starving, but id rather not eat.
I get so self concious incase i drop the plate, or scared Ill look greedy if i eat or get food down me.
Once when i have plucked up the courage to eat in front of people, i was so nervous i dropped ketchup all down my front and felt so embarsed.
At my auntys bbq a few months ago I didnt have anything to eat and in the end i went upstairs into her bedroom and she bought me some food up.
Does anyone else get this? and if so do you have any techneaques to deal with it?
Thanks guys :)

I used to have a huge thing about this too, I would never eat in front of people, if at a party or something I would choose not to eat. I was fine in front of close people though.

TBH I don't know how or why it changed but I've been fine since, probably the last few years around about when I turned 20 I think, I think I just 'grew out of it' :think:

So sorry no real tips but I'm sure it wont last forever, having a baby will probably help alot as you'll be so busy you will just be glad you can at all and not care where you are or what you are doing at the time!! hehe.

:hug: xx

My mom is 45 and is still like it. :( No real advice mate, just.... I hope it leaves you.

I do get embarrassed about eating infront of people, but I just laugh it off when I've got ketchup on my nose :shakehead:

Yup I was very self conscious and also couldnt eat in the street etc I think I also grew out of it.

i had this problem and it was a huge problem, and to some extent still have it today at the age 27!!

When I first met hubby he would come round and bless him as he had come straight from work be starving but have to wait till he went home 4 or 5 hrs later as I couldnt eat, just the thought made me feel ill!!

I never even ate at my wedding, luckily that was a buffet and no one noticed!!

I do eat now in front of hubby, and his family but it took time, one thing I was taught was to get over the fear was to step into the fear, it was hard but slowly i started just to eat lil bits in a restuarant, I would go out with a friend who understood, we would get coffee and toasted tea cake, and slowly I built up to a bigger meal,
when it came to hubby, I started with toast and once he understood, he learnt when I eat dont look at me, even now if he looks at me, i stop eating!!
As for family meals, hubby knows to let me sit in the corner and dont make a fuss, his family have got used to it now, and once we explained they understood!!

Its hard but you can get over it, it jsut takes time, and your certainly not alone with this, :hug: :hug:

Thanks guys :hug:
Hopefully I should just grow out of it then :)
If say I get a greggs sausage roll, I wont eat it while walking through town, id rather get home and it be cold, then eat it. :wall:

jazzmum2be said:
If say I get a greggs sausage roll, I wont eat it while walking through town, id rather get home and it be cold, then eat it. :wall:

I remember that! I used to feel like if I ate in public people would stare and think I was disgusting, which was silly as no-one knew me or cared :wall:

I am fine now though, though I'm still very careful about how I eat and try not to look too 'greedy'

I'm sure you will get better also.

:hug: xx

I used to be quite self concious about eating in public as a teenager. I think I got over it as I got older and started going out for meals in restaurants with friends.....the alcohol helped to relax me too :)

jazzmum2be said:

have you thought about, when you buy the sausage roll, maybe find a quiet bench somewere not totally in public but were theres people round and jsut have a nibble or to, does that make sense?

I found it easier when I had a child tbh, as it was a fear I didnt want to put it onto them, so knew I had to get over it, but when he wasnt around, I went right back to how I used to be!!

Yeah Ill try that hun :)
Im not as bad if I get a sausage roll when Im with my mum and we sit down and eat it, but if its just me on my own I cant do it lol.
Wierrd.

I used to be exactly the same. I would stay over at friends houses and never eat a thing. My belly would be grumbling away and I would be lying through my teeth saying I wasn't hungry! If I bought a mcdonalds I would take it away in the bag and microwave it at home or eat it cold. If I went to my OH's mums house for tea she would let me and OH eat in the kitchen on our own as she knew it made me feel uneasy. I tried to refuse her food over and over but she always insisted I ate in the next room! I could think of hundreds of weird things I did to avoid having to eat infront of people but I don't want to bore you any more!

I'm not sure what happened but as soon as I got pregnant I overcame it, as I did with alot of things. I had real bad morning sickness and would have to carry haribo tangfastics every where with me so I guess one thing led to another and I would then be eating chrisps and then a chocolate bar and then a sandwich!

I hope you manage to get over it too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back