Not being given a seat on the train!

Springbaby4me

Reaction score
Hi there girls

Well not sure how you all feel about this but I think people should have some common curtisy and give their seat up to pregnant ladies.

I have a 1.5 hour communte to work and back every day. Car, train & underground its so horrible. The other night I was on my way home and not feeling very well as I have yet another cold. I was standing on the train all the way home and felt very faint. The chap who was sitting down next to me checked out my large bump at least 5 times. He was even brushing his paper next to it. I was like eh hello sorry is my unborn child in the way of you reading your newspaper arrogant arse!

I wasnt going to say anything but as I got off I asked him if he enjoyed his seat and was he proud of himself. I would not normally do this but I fell over twice into him as the train was so juddery. He was like I didnt see, yeah right sure you didnt. Anyway just thought I would mention that there are some really rude and ignorant people out there and dont be afriad to question them on it. He was highly embaressesd heehee.

After ranting away now I have to add that generally people are really nice and I do get a seat.

Anyone else got any travel to work nightmare stories?

im still getting elbowed out of the way in supermarkets by old ladies

im still waiting for my bump so that people will stop bashing me about!

but if you're obviously pregnant and he didnt give up his seat- that sucks :evil:

I never get a seat on the bus or in the bus shelter. One woman wouldnt even move her shopping so I could sit down.
One man pushed pasted me on the bus and I kinda lost it and shouted "Does it make you feel big pushing a pregnant woman around you b*stard" My OH looked like this :shock: It just made me so mad that he would risk my babies safety to get on the bus first. You have every right to have a seat and healthy none pregnant people should stand for you IMO. Maybe we just have manners. I was always made to stand for old people as a child.

I was only ever offered a seat once, by a lady who had actually paid to reserve her seat but she couldn't believe the other passengers made me stand. It was last May/June too, which was really warm and the trains had broken air conditioning and the likes.

I think DebbieM posted a link saying that pregnant women are entitled to seats..?

A couple of times I actually asked the station attendants to get me seats and they were really helpful. If you don't mind looking silly, definately ask them or the driver/conductor and they should be seen to at least try and get you a seat. Or aim for the seats in the disability bit.

gymbabeliz said:
im still getting elbowed out of the way in supermarkets by old ladies

Same here :x My brumps pretty huge now, but if i go shopping or anywhere i tend to keep my hands over my bump to try and shield it from the ignorant gits who are rushing about shoving trolly's into me :evil: No one ever seems to actually look where theyre going :( Ive had a few times where someones nearly knocked beth flying too.

I dont take the bus or anything, but i definitely think people should give up seats if they can. Its just rude not to.

I popped in to the shop this morning and a silly old lady knocked into my basket with her trolly and I when I looked round she was busy looking at the potatoes and kept pushing her trolly, so I said "excuse me" and she just did a stupid giggle!!!!!!!!! :wall: :shakehead:

I've heard that if you are preggers you can sit in First Class on British Rail for free!

hile i was in asda about a month ago there were these big cage trolly things 4 moving food around they were empty and some lady was pushing it to get a look at some chicken and kept pushing an pushing while i was blatenly being knocked over really annoyed me :x :x :x :x :x :x

i dont get on trains much anymore cos i just am so lazy lool but i would ask someone to move for me if i had a long ride on the train i dont care these people get right up my bum...!!! i was allways made to stand when i was little for other people who needed a seat :)

:wall: :x

i bet that was annoying.

i went shopping a few weeks ago and was paying at the till when i tipped my purse upside down by accident and a load of change fell on the floor.

i had a huge bump and no one in the queue helped me :( :( :( i must have looked a right state!

if it was pennies i would have left it, but it was pounds so i wern't gonna leave them!! lol

in have always been brought up to give up a seat to someone else who will need it....many a times iv given up my seats for women with children and elderly people. the thing that annoys me is when they dont say thanks...i dont do it for the gratitude of people but even a smille of thanks would be nice!

wow, some of you have had some bad experiences, some people are just rude.
My own SIL and her fiance are just as ignorant, if there are no seats left when I come into the room, any body else will offer a chair but not them two. My hubby ends up asking her to move. It is awkward and embarrassing...just wait till she gets pregnant!!! (I would love to be as rude, but I am not sure I have it in me!)

I don't use the bus / train but the supermarket is one of the worst places for people being rude.

Asda is usually the worst place for some reason - full of old biddies who won't give an inch. I usually try to keep the trolley handle well away from my bump because you can guarantee they'll try to lay you out if you dare get in their way.

:x

I do it online now now arrogant, rude, impatient people to annoy me.

I was on the tube yesterday on way back from drs and it was packed. There was one seat left at the other end of the train and people happily watched me scrambling all the way down the carriage with my big bump tripping at every jolt of the train. It's funny how everyone overts their eyes though when you try to glare at them in disgust! People are soooooo rude! In france they have these big signs inside the trains which lists which types of people you should give your seat up to...I think it was 1. Woman with baby/toddler, 2. The elderly, 3. Pregnant woman and 4. Injured war veterens. I think a lot of people here just don't realise that they should give up their seats to the elderly or pregnant.

I've given up even expecting a seat, in fact I've now gone a little opposite. I have noticed that people have started staring at my bump when on the bus and train. Not me, my bump! I look at them as if to say "What?" Have they never seen a pregnant woman before? :roll:

I would always offer my seat to a pregnant woman...some people are very ignorant :evil:

I was brought up to think of others and have often given up my seat on the bus to the elderly and I would for a pregnant women too! Some people are so thoughtless and rude! I don't have to use public transport now thank god.

Just after christmas I was in M&S and was busting for the toilet, When I went in there was a huge cue! Some of the ladies was talking about how busy it was and there were never enough toliets in the ladies and at that one became free. The women at the front of the cue had seen me and my huge bump and asked if I would like to go first :D I said I would if no one else mind...... nobody objected! I was touched at how thoughtful they were :D

I remember commuting a lot when I was pregnant with Tia... It got to the point I'd just sit on the floor of the train or bus if no one would give up their seat... eventually someone would feel ashamed enough to give up their seat but it took drastic measures.

This time round I haven't had to commute and Spaniards are a bit more old fashioned where pregnant ladies are concerned and I've had plenty of people move for me.

Although during a meal at New Years, I was waiting to go to the bathroom, and was leaning against the wall near the door way and this woman wanted to barge past so she put her hand on my bump and started pushing it in to get past... I had a major go at her in the bathroom screaming that I was pregnant, and couldn't pull my belly in as there was another human being in my tummy but what was her excuse for being so fat and ignorant she couldn't get past... to which several little old Spanish women had to get involved too and started telling her off... and she ended up leaving very quickly. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

thats awful, I got pushed today in tescos and rammed with a trolley

When I found out I was pregnant, OH started taking me to and from work, he knows how ignorant people on buses and trains can be so I haven't been on them in a while. Now I'm not at work he will leave me the car and get the train to work.
I've had good experiences when it comes to Supermarkets and things, nobody's bashed into me..but at Christmas, trying to do my shopping was a nightmare, but I'm sure you can all relate to that. People didn't even have the courtesy to hold a door open..one time I opened a door to walk through and a stream of people walked out as soon as I opened it, so there was me and my bump, holding this door open while 10 or so people walked out..it's really ignorant :roll:

Some one kicked a plastic bottle at me at leeds festival when i was 34 weeks, he soon appologised when i turned round with a face like thunder :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back