Newborns with colds

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

Both myself and Ollie have a cold. Hes had his for almost a week. I'm assuming that because newborn babies immune systems are probably weak that it takes them a while to get over them? Also is it wise to keep him in doors when hes got a cold or would a walk do him good?

Finally.. is it ok for me to use olbas oil or vicks vapour rub cos he may get the fumes from me when im holding him?

Claire x

hi isaac has a cold also hes had his for about a week, he lost his voice and he has bad cough with snotty nose.. ive kept him in as we live quite high up and its freezing outside i only rtake him out when i have to take my daughter to school..but i dont know if u have to keep them in..
Iknow with the vicks etc.. that you cant put them on a baby but i think ive herd u can have it on a tissue in your room or something so they can slightly smell it..but im not sure about u having it on incase he rubs his face on you,,,im not much help lol, :lol:

hope ollie gets better soon.

I'd keep him inside and snuggly warm. I'd also invest in a nose deblocker for newborns as they can't breathe through their mouths very well and tend to get anxious when their nose gets blocked. I called my midwife when lily was 10 days old with a blocked nose and, as I didn't have a nasal unblocking thingy, she told me to suck the baby's nose! urghth - worked though!

Now I use carvol drops when she gets sniffly but they say for 2 months and above. I think it depends more on the weight of your baby. A larger than average baby could use the drops much earlier.

Hope this helps a bit and little one gets better soon.

CorrieFan said:
I called my midwife when lily was 10 days old with a blocked nose and, as I didn't have a nasal unblocking thingy, she told me to suck the baby's nose! urghth - worked though!

Do you know where id get a nasal unblocking thingy from? i have saline drops but theres so much snot that needs to come out and i dont fancy sucking!!

Claire x

I got one of those decongesters from boots.. geat idea! ive sucked out a fair bit of snot! thanks for the advice!!

Claire x

Aimee got her first cold at a week old! My HV told us to put some books under the legs of the head part of the moses basket to tilt it so she was sleeping raised slightly. I didn't know about the nasal tube thing at the time but I got a vapour plug in which was good. It even helped me as I have difficulty breathing through my nose when lying down and end up sleeping with my mouth open. With the vapour plug in I was breathing better! Definately a good investment for when baby gets a cold!

CorrieFan said:
she told me to suck the baby's nose! urghth - worked though!

I nearly had to do that the other day with Lola-Mae! But she sneezed most of it out!
My HV told me to get some snuffle baby but then I didnt need to because she was fine the next morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back