newbie dad, need 2 know what to buy :)

Reaction score
Hi there

My gf is 12 weeks pregnant, having a tough time of it 2.

Anyway, I'm getting together a list of stuff to buy for the baby that I can get before its born. I would really appreciate if people can add to my list as I'm pretty clueless about all this. Just the bare essentials for now really, I'm pretty strapped for cash but working as much as I can to provide for the new arrival.

Oh, my gf is going to breast feed btw.

List so far (yes its poor, told u im rubbish lol)

Cot
Pram
Moses basket + stand
muslin squares (are these worth getting ?)
Baby bath

Can you also explain what its for if you recommend something, sorry, I'm trying to learn but don't know much in this area.

Many Thanks for any suggestions :D

Ok

Talcum powder - this is a must right ?

Change mat

Reusable nappies - are these worth getting or should i just get disposable ?

Cleaning wipes

Is it worth getting any toys or mobiles etc yet ?

ahh what a great daddy your going to be, thats lovely that your so into the pregnancy, my advice would be to get a pregnancy and birth book, i got the dr mirriam stoppard book ( might have spelt the name wrong :oops: ) but its really good for what to get and how to prepare for your little bundle of joy. good luck. hope the pregnancy goes well. :dance:

I think the fact you have a list proves your far from rubbish honey.
To add to your growing list I would put on
plain baby grows
vests
a pair of baby nail clippers
nappy rash cream (sudocrem or another alternative)
cotton wool.

I would take off talc as it has been linked with possible breathing difficulties in small babys because they inhale the particles. I didnt know this till my antenatal classes which you and gf will attend nearer the end of the pg.

The nappies bit is really up to yourself, but who will be cleaning them?? I personally dont have the time or inclination to do it but there are girls on here who will post as im sure one of them is quite active in reuseables and will have a bit more info.

Hope this helps, a list for a baby could go on and on.

aww im so glad to hear shes going to breast feed.

are you just wanting a list for baby or mum too?
you;ll have to make a list for your labour bag too you know :wink:

Aww you sound like a complete sweetheart. Word of advice on the baby bath particularly the sets, they cost a fortune and personally on my first I barely used it as it was too much hastle and when full you couldnt lift it. Now I'm pregnant with my second I'll be using either the sink or a washing up bowl (bought mine for 98p in tesco's)or even bathing with my little one - lovely for bonding and both my hubby and myself took turns so its a great way to have skin to skin contact. As for top and tail bowls - lol use an ordinary bowl and just remember to wash their face first :lol:
I'd also add a cheap bouncy chair to the list - they have them in Argos for £12 after all you really need to be able to put the little one down at times and they don't always want to be flat on their back bless them, does them good to be able to look around.

Sounds like you are going to be a fab dad, your gf is very lucky to have such a supportive other half!

xx
Stace

You are a sweetie :wink:

I think the mothercare website has a list of things you need for a newborn and for Mum to take in her bag to hospital. You will find a lot of the stuff cheaper to buy on-line though, especially ebay. :D

remember to get fragrance free wipes
bottle steriliser
changing bag
the list goes on, i suggest going on the MC website and ordering their mum/dad to be magazine (join the baby club). I did and i got a magazine through yesterday with a checklist of things needed for bathing, playing, sleeping, travelling etc. but dont rush..you have plenty of time :D

You sound so sweet!!

If you are planning on using disposable nappies I would suggest start buying them - most supermarkets have specials on like 2 for 1 or something.

Obviously babygrow etc. but dont go silly on clothes as you get so much as gifts when the little one arrives.

If your gf is breast feeding a breast pump maybe handy - I just got mine last week from Asda at about £15 for a set which includes 2 bottles (by Avent)

Crib/Cot and some blankets.

If possible get your gf to go to Boots and pick up a leaflet for the parents to be club - they post through loads of vouchers each month - stuff for the baby and for herself!
Also I joined the Toys r Us baby club - they do the same! You get a tear out slip at the front of there book.

Hope this helps!

S. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back