New user (grandmother to be) asking for advice

Angela

Reaction score
As a grandmother to be (my first grandchild due early August), I find I am probably worrying myself unnecessarily and seem to be more anxious than my daughter is (maybe it's her calming pregnancy hormones kicking in!)

She is 3 months pregnant and has only had two medical checks.
The first was to have the pregnancy confirmed by her G.P. at 6 weeks, when her blood pressure was taken, nothing else was done. She has last week paid to have a nuchal test done because she is an older mum (37) and the results were good.
Apart from that, she has no ante-natal appointments made, either at her doctors, or in the hospital. I know it varies from area to area and what facilities are available, but I would have thought they would have kept her in the picture as to what she should have done next and when.
Could someone give me a rough guide as to what should happen?
Many thanks

Your daughter should have another date to go back and see her midwife, i am 13 weeks pregnant and have only seen my midwife once since i found out i was pregnant, i have a date to see her again in 15th feb 05.
Your daughter should phone up her midwife and see what is happening regarding her seeing her again.

Many thanks Nicky for answering me. Melanie contacted her G.P. and was told the midwife was off for 3 weeks - some service !! She has an appointment at the hospital around the same time as yours, but we have no idea what this is for - I would hope it would be for blood pressure, weight, etc. etc.

My daughter will also be moving house soon, so hopefully the care there will be a bit more helpful than where she is now.

One more thing, as you are at the same stage as my daughter - do you get headaches ? I can't remember having them when I was pregnant.

I wish you a very healthy pregnancy and birth. :)

Angela

Hi Angela, I'm Shannon and I'm 28 weeks now and I had many headaches and extreame tiredness in my first trimester and was assured by my GP it was entirely normal and due to hormone levels. Also at 11weeks I had a dating ultrasound and a heap of blood tests. From memory they were checking for iron and folate levels,blood type,liver and kidney functions(i think) and they routinely check Hep A,B and C and HIV in australia in all pregnant women and check your urine as well. In my second trimester I was feeling alot more energetic however the headaches did continue occasionly. Tell your daughter to drink plenty of water and take paracetamol if the headache is really bad. It is very safe to take during pregnancy. Good luck and congratulations!

:wink:

Shannon - thanks for answering my posting. That is reassuring what you have said. In 2 week's time Melanie goes to hospital where she will have blood tests. Have you seen your little one on ultrasound yet ?
I have my first pictrue of my granddaughter or grand-son to be and have bored the pants of people showing it !!

I wish you all the luck for the remainder of your pregnancy.

By the way, I am researching my family tree and have Australian ancestors from Melbourne. What part do you come from ?

Angela

Hi Angela, Yes I have seen my lil bub on ultrasound....tis so beautiful!!!! I saw him/her at 11 weeks and again at 18 weeks and get another look next week at 29 weeks as well! This time I am going to have a 3D computerised image scan and try again to find out the sex of the baby. They need to scan again to check the position of my placenta, last time it was abit low and hopefully it has moved up by now. The baby wouldnt show us wether or not it was a boy or girl last time so fingers crossed next week! I am from Cairns, Nth Qld although I did live in Melbourne for a few months last year. Its a wonderful city, I would love to live there again.:) Good luck with your family tree!
-Shannon

Hello again Shannon

Thanks for answering. Aren't those ulstrasounds amazing ? Please keep me posted regarding your future scans and whether it shows it's a "him or her".

I have another question to ask please - for first 3 months my Melanie has suffered the usual fatigue and dropping off in the early evening. Now she is nearly 14 weeks, she has gone the other way and can't sleep at night now properly. Did you have this and if so, how long does it last ?

I hope I am not pestering you too much. I will leave your alone for a month or so now, but please keep me posted on your pregnancy.

Many thanks
Angela :roll:

Hi Angela :D I dont recall being unable to sleep at 14 weeks altho my tiredness had certainly worn off and I felt like I was myself again. Around 24 weeks tho I started to have problems sleeping and now at 28 weeks I have MAJOR problems sleeping. I lie awake for ages before eventually giving in and getting up and reading or surfing the net. I have just given up work and I'm sure the sleeplessness was part of the reason I wasn't coping at work. My partner is having to go to bed very early atm so we are on different time zones and since we live in an open plan apartment it makes it very difficult when I'm up late. I have to be very quiet and keep the lights to a minimum which is driving me a little nuts! We are moving in about a month into a large house which will make every much easier! The baby kicks alot between 11pm and 3am and when you get bigger its really hard to get comfortable. Most pregnancy books/websites warn you of this and offer many practical tips to minimise the stressful effects of the 3rd trimester and sleeplessness. I hope Melanie has a better designed house than me! Best wishes to you both :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back