New mortgage and mat leave

candymycandy

Reaction score
Not sure if this board gets many visitors but will give it a go!
So, DH and I are relocating this year to be closer to my family. The house is going on market in a few weeks time. We are going to be looking at applying for mortgages in the next month. The issue is I am currently on mat leave. My pay drops to smp in May (i think) and then 3m after I get nothing and then my year is up in October. I haven’t got a job lined up in New location yet nor will my employer (government) offer a transfer. So my question is - will mortgage lenders still take my current salary into account when offering a quote or will they disregard since it’ll be zero in a few months and I haven’t got a job secured (even though I will be getting one in new location). Also, Really struggling with the logistics of applying for new jobs when we can’t guarantee a move date?!

Thanks and sorry for ramble! x

probably not, they would know that maternity pay is temporary. i was in the same position with my first child and had my boss write a letter saying i would be welcome back after maternity leave (even though he knew i wasnt coming back he kindly saved our mortgage!). Can you get your emplyer to do that or do they know you are definitely moving?

The thing is it’s tricky. I’ve told them I’m moving as had asked for a transfer (refused). If i said I was going back in July after 9m then I guess they’d write a letter as there’s a chance we won’t have moved by then. We will be at such a disadvantage if my salary isn’t included :(

if you are friendly enough with HR ask them to word a letter saying you are welcome back after mat leave i.e there is still a job for you, which wouldnt be a lie i presume. Or could you could even actually go back to work for a couple of months cos chances are as you say you wouldnt have moved by then anyway. you could say change of plan cos of not gettinga transfer, and then leave once you have the mortgage sorted....

Thanks liz that’s an idea.

Just as an aside, I asked on money saving expert forum at same time and got the most unfriendly/condescending responses - makes me grateful for the lovely ladies on this forum!

I think they will take yours as zero if they know you've no job. Other than that you might need 3months payslips. Problem with going back to your own job to get the payslips I imagine would be that they would realise you can't work there and live in the house you would be looking to buy (if the distance is too great) so they may query that? Would be worth contacting an independent mortgage advisor though to make sure. Some are free. Goodluck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back