• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

need some help RE weaning/routines

Jynann

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I'm a bit stuck with weaning at the mo and a little confused and was after a bit of help. This is Kayleighs routine:

5am/6am/7am - 240ml of formula and back to sleep for maybe 1-2 hours, depending on when she woke up
9am/10am - baby cerial and 240ml bottle
12pm/1pm - some pureed veg and 2 little stars fromage fray things and a few sips of water from a cup
3pm/4pm - 240ml bottle
6pm/7pmish - 240 bottle.

I know she should be on 3 meals a day now (she is 6 months) but i'm stuck as to when to fit this in, most of the time she wont finish her evening bottle and cos she is due a feed at 3 after dinner I don't know if to give her a bit of food before that bottle or give food instead? I'm concerned, if I do that (give food instead of a bottle) she will be going to long in between bottles and will be thirsty and also if I give food as well as a bottle she wont want her supper till really late and then wont finish it. :roll:

I have considered giving her less milk at each feed or maybe just some feeds? I'm really confused and any help/ suggestions would be great.

Also, should I start finger foods yet? she has no teeth but is teething so think it will help with that and also get her used to chewing but i'm scared of her choking :cry:

Sorry for so many questions :hug:

thanx xx

This is almost identical to what we do except she has milk at lunchtime, dinner at 5.30pm and goes to bed at 7 after a bottle. She doesn't take anywhere near 240ml though- usually between 150ml and 180ml.

It couldn't hurt to try finger foods - you'd be surprised with what they can manage - I was amazed!

Keep an eye on LO but yeah, give finger food!!

My DS has been shoveling stuff in his mouth for the last 6 weeks atleast... He'll eat anything, lumps, no lumps, whatever. Gums off bits of banana, chews it with his gums and swallows, its funny to watch.
I wouldnt drop any milk feeds yet!! They say... food before 1 is just for fun! SO dont get hung up on it, let LO enjoy it, get all the tastes and textures etc. If their hungry, they will let you know!!

Finger foods are fine from that age - we started them just before 6 months and LO coped with lots. Rice cakes are a good thing to start with as they pretty much disintegrate in their mouths.

Our routine is:

6-7ish: 5oz bottle
8-9ish: Brekkie - finger foods (toast, shreddies) yoghurt
10-11ish: 5oz bottle
12-1ish: Lunch - finger foods (sandwich, fruit etc), fruitapura
2-3ish: 5oz bottle
4-5ish: Tea - finger foods, yoghurt/fruit
6-7ish: 9oz bottle

She generally sleeps after each bottle, but this varies every day! Basically we feed food or milk every 2 hours, which is a bit manic!

This is what we do:

7/8am - 8oz bottle (recently upped the amount)
10/11am - hipp-a-bisc, HIPP banana porridge and 6oz bottle ( other 2 oz make up his porridge)
1/2pm - 8ox bottle
4/5/6pm - pureed veg (2 different ones mixed) and fruit puree (2 different ones mixed) for pudding and 6oz bottle (doesn't always drink all the bottle)
8/9pm - 8oz bottle and some ready brek then bed

I'm using up all the veg and fruit in the freezer then moving onto BLW route rather than purees but tbh his purees are lumpy as he doesn't like smooth things :lol:

Also adding in lunch soon - rice cakes, banana to hold. He has had toast at lunch a few times. His dinner will be meals that I am going to make up and freeze and pudding will be fruit that he can feed himself.

So Finlay isn't on 3 meals a day yet but I'm not so worried since technically he isn't supposed to be having solids till 6 months. I aim for him to be having 3 meals a day and followin more of the BLW route by 7 months ;)

I wouldn't worry about 3 meals a day - we didn't start weaning until 5.5 months and she wasn't interested in supper for a good couple of months.
You could try offering food before a bottle.
I would definatley go with finger foods now - there is less chance that they will choke as they are in control and have a reflex which brings food which is too big to be swallowed back to the front of their mouths. They may "gag" to acheive this but this is not the same as choking - just a natural reflex. We did BLW on the main and I think it is fab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back