NCT Antenatal Classes - Any Good?

Sarah7

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm just looking into antenatal classes and came across a local one run by the NTC. I was just wondering if anyone has previously been on one, is going on one, or knows anything about them?

The cost for the 18 hour course is (I think) around £150-£200. I was also wondering if that was a good price? (Edit: just found a better bit on the site, it'll be a bit over £200 I think, unless we're eligible for a discount which I think we would be...)

I think I've missed the boat on my midwife run course, and not sure I like her enough to go to a course run by her anyway to be honest.

Thanks in advance for an advice and info :) x

Last edited:
I did them mainly to get to meet other mums nearby with babies due around the same time. They were good for that. The actual course content didn't really teach me much over what I had read in books as I read a fair amount. So far as price is concerned they aren't cheap but for me it was worth it to produce the network of mums and babies for afterwards xxx

Thank you :) That's really good to know, I really liked the idea of a chance of meeting other people so nearby. We only moved to this village in February, we were local anyway, but it would be nice to know people who dont only live 10-15 minutes away who are also new parents.

I would second that, we've not learned anything we didn't already know, but it's nice to meet other local parents to be. We were eligible for the discount as my hubby was a full tme student and it onlycost us £79 x

Content wise I have learned a few things that I didn't before and the fact that I can talk through ideas with others has been brilliant. Hubby has found them absolutely brilliant, he says he feels more prepared and slight more confident. As the other ladies have mentioned meeting other couples in the area has been a God send and they are all lovely. x

We are going to start with them in august and the driving reason was that we wanted to meet other local parents. I have also done another NCT course (yoga) and I just generally like their ethos on pregnancy and becoming a parent so although its expensive, I think (hope!) it'll be worth it!X

I'm so glad I did our course. A big part of it was to meet people in the area with the same aged children (we didn't know anyone). And also the NHS classes were so amazingly rubbish!!

I love my NCT girls, even though I don't get to see them so often now I'm back at work full time, but three of them are relaly close and share childcare. And I know they're always there if I need them.

We did the 5 or so Saturdays course, so we got more of a bond with each other, but I know other people who have done the weekend courses and still had a good bond and stayed in touch.

We signed up for NCT for the meeting couples nearby, and we still see each other once a month, those that live closer/sahm see each other more often

Like others said I didnt really learn much more than what I had read - but there were a few things I hadnt thought about /prepared for. Of course ill prepared hubby had to learn it all there :D. The NHS one was appalling in comparison.

Thanks so much everyone! Think we'll be signing up for these, I feel quite excited having read all your positive experiences of them :D Only 6 weeks until they start too! x

Yes after I did my post I meant to add that it is the only way hubby was going to learn it all as he wouldn't have read all the stuff I did so I was pleased that he got to understand it all x

Yes I dd them they were fab. I certainly learnt things but tbh I think hubby benefitted the most.

They went they lots of things but quite simply so the men weren't overloaded

I also made 6 good friends which I met up with at least every other week-which was fab for me as I'd just moved to a new town when I fell pregnant so knew no one x

I really enjoyed our classes and I have made some wonderful friends.

They were really informative too :)

I can't wait to start antenatal classes, you've all had such good experiences :D

Sorry. Newbie question here:

Are antenatal classes all about labour?

I'd love to meet other new mums in the area and go to classes. But I'll probably need a c-section so don't know if the classes would be suitable to DH and me?

The NCT ones are about whatever you want them to be about. Our class leader talked to us at the first session and got us to discuss in groups what concerned us and what we wanted to find out about. I don't know how this is done at other classes, but I gathered there's a general focus overall but it's guided by the the participants.

We've covered:
Pain relief
Baby Care (inc nappies, bathing, dressing, etc)
Labour (and c-sections)
Things that go wrong
Baby illnesses
The first 24 hours at home
Car seats and prams
and other little bits and bobs

Tomorrow is breastfeeding.

This has all been over 6 weeks xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.