• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nature Vs Nurture - what do you think?

SarahB

Reaction score
I remember answering this question when I was doing my A levels, but since having Emma I have been thinking about it alot. I watch her personality develop and wonder why she does the things she does. My parents make me laugh because if she does something good or clever then it is in her genes but if she does something naughty or unacceptable then it is my fault :roll:

I personally think that both factors play a role, our genes form alot of who we are, but children learn by copying and immitating, so I think it is mostly nurture and outside factors.

So what do you think, is your personality formed by your genes or by outside factors and your upbringing?

outside factors definitely!! or else i will be a pretty bad mother to Jam which i never intend on being!!!
some things like bein left or right handed is obv genes but anythin like not likin veggies is outside factors me thinks!!

I think that it's a bit of both. genes can determine some aspects of our personalities and character traits e.g. my mum and I are very similar: we both like to have the last say, we've both got strong opinions and we clash all the time! and i know for a fact i got that from her. however nurture also does play a big role because the way you bring up your child will be reflected in his/her actions. what you teach your children will have an effect upon their behaviour. also some of the things they watch on TV or see at school can have an effect on how they act. it's a mixture of both, but i do think that nurture takes over genes. hope im making sense Gosh!

I agree with Laetitia and coudn't have said it any better. I have a lot of similarities with my Mum, a few charachteristics that are most certinally Dad's fault but in general I think the way in which I was raised played the biggest role, I copied mum like it was going out of fashion, I loved doing what she done and think I learned a lot that way. Plus things like playgroups, schooling etc.

Both nurture and nature have a big part to play in a child's development. We certainly do get some traits and personalities from our folks and nurture reinforces those. However, I am a BIG believer that nurture is the biggest shaper of our children's destinies (have to, or I would be out of a job :D ). My friend was adopted at birth. Her natural parents were not academic, they were in trouble with the law frequently and all round bad eggs. Her adoptive family were very loving and placed a big importance on academia (both were universtiy professors). She grew up to become a very loving young lady who got a first class degree and became an academic herself. I am sceptical that that would have happened with different nurturing.

i think mostly nurture but we do sometimes inherit tendencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back