Nappies - Re-useable or not?

Charmed

Reaction score
I'm really interested in going for re-useable as they are environmentally friendly as well as being cheaper in the long run.

I'm not sure how many I would need to start off with, what kind or what else I might need? :think:

Has anyone else given any thought to what nappies you will use when your little ones arrive?

just to let you know they are not more environmentally friendly and it is questionable wether they are cheaper in the long run with as they take alot of cleaning and sterilising so your always washing (using electricity which is using energy and money) the only reason disposable ones are called bad for the environment is it takes a long time to decompose in the waste sites.

We're thinking of trying re-usables at least part time (i.e. at home, but using disposables when out and about), as that's how my partner's sister is doing it and she seems to cope well. When I started researching them I was stunned by the variety of options, so we decided to go to see someone who sells the different systems for a demo, which hopefully will help us make a decision. I'm still a bit worried as we don't have a tumble dryer and Horatio is due in January, so it's not really the time of your to hang the nappies outside to dry.I'm also a bit worried about the extra work especially after maternity leave ends. That nappy woman told me by email already that there are some quick dry systems out there, which probably would help. We'll have to see I guess.

One plus is that the local council is subsidising the purchase of a real nappy system with 30 quid. The initial cost of buying them seems quite high, so any help is welcome.

I only know that my mum is very much against them, but wants to let me make my own choice. She remembers them as pretty horrid from when I and my siblings were little, but I guess they've improved in the meantime, too.

Widowadman - thats interesting about the council - thanks - I'll have to look into it. :D I was plannning a similar thing to what your partners sister does in regard of using disposables when out and about and reusables when at home.

Theres a link HERE if you or anyone else is interested about using and washing reusable nappies.

Emmie - your right, I would use more electricity was reusable nappies, I was more thinking about how long it takes for a disposable nappy to degrade which is between 200 and 500 years. I am interested in hearing all views so thanks for your input. :)

Theres a link HERE debating reusable and disposable nappies which is quite interesting. :)

emmie said:
just to let you know they are not more environmentally friendly and it is questionable wether they are cheaper in the long run with as they take alot of cleaning and sterilising so your always washing (using electricity which is using energy and money) the only reason disposable ones are called bad for the environment is it takes a long time to decompose in the waste sites.

With a young baby the washing machine is always on regardless of whether or not you are using reusables. To add a few nappies to the mix is nothing. There is no need to wash them on a boil wash, either, so overall you are not using much more energy than you would otherwise. They don't take a lot of cleaning or sterilising at all - I just put some Napisan in with my normal non-bio and they come out white and sparkling.

This link shows you how much money you could save - http://www.realnappycampaign.com/for_mu ... ppies.html. Even with washing they can save you at least £500.

www.realnappycampaign.com

The UK alone throws 8 million disposables into landfill each year and these take up to 500 years to decompose - how is that possibly more environmentally friendly?

I wasn't convinced initially - we used eco disposables (www.naty.com) before we decided cloth was the way to go. Now she isn't without her cloth bum!

daftscotslass said:
emmie said:

With a young baby the washing machine is always on regardless of whether or not you are using reusables. To add a few nappies to the mix is nothing. There is no need to wash them on a boil wash, either, so overall you are not using much more energy than you would otherwise. They don't take a lot of cleaning or sterilising at all - I just put some Napisan in with my normal non-bio and they come out white and sparkling.

This link shows you how much money you could save - http://www.realnappycampaign.com/for_mu ... ppies.html. Even with washing they can save you at least £500.

http://www.realnappycampaign.com

The UK alone throws 8 million disposables into landfill each year and these take up to 500 years to decompose - how is that possibly more environmentally friendly?

I wasn't convinced initially - we used eco disposables (http://www.naty.com) before we decided cloth was the way to go. Now she isn't without her cloth bum!

completely agree. I do two extra washes a week. It really depends on a number of things as to how green they are , washing temp (30 degrees is perfectly adequate in today's machines), getting an energy efficent washer, drying on line, only using a small amountof washing powder. There are nappies made from old towels and old clothes, bamboo nappies which are more environmentally friendly to grow.

As for cost, I am using the same nappies I used for Seren on Cally.I have bought a few more but that was because I wanted to as opposed to needed to. Can't do that with sposies (and again its greener as I am not using any more raw materials to make new nappies). I used sposies when we went away for a few days - could not get over how expensive they were. Plus the cost is set to rise,it takes one cupful of oil to make one disposible nappy, and the cost of oil is shooting up. Electricity is also shooting up but TBH I have not noticed any major rise since using cloth apart from the rise in electricity prices that everyone is experiencing.

I decided to use cloth more for health reasons, I just don't like the thought of that gel next to their skins (have read differeing reports about concerns over it) and have never regretted my decision. Cloth also looks so much cuter. And the main thing for me is the smell - when Cally was in paper nappiesfor those few days I couldn't believe how bad she smelt - all chemically and bleurgh. I will always use cloth.

beanie said:
I decided to use cloth more for health reasons, I just don't like the thought of that gel next to their skins (have read differeing reports about concerns over it) and have never regretted my decision. Cloth also looks so much cuter. And the main thing for me is the smell - when Cally was in paper nappiesfor those few days I couldn't believe how bad she smelt - all chemically and bleurgh. I will always use cloth.

Oh this is so true. Someone gave us a packet of pampers and she was very uncomfortable in comparison. If you think a cloth nappy is big that is nothing compared to pampers full of pee. I'd hate to think what sort of chemicals are required to keep a baby with a nappy the size of a globe feeling dry! There's also evidence to suggest that children in cloth nappies are toilet trained earlier because they understand the concept of being wet and dry. Disposables now are maybe a bit TOO effective in that department!

I don't have a drier, either, and am line drying the nappies no problem. If it's wet they are dried inside and are usually dry overnight.

Edit: I should read all the posts before replying. I've read about the toilet-training thing too, which I think is also a great incentive to me. Weirdly some people seem to find that "cruel".

Anyway, thanks for all the links.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back