My poor husband

SunnyGirl

Reaction score
I'm really struggling at the moment with fear for my baby. I worry all the time that he's ok and that we're doing things the right way eg feeding, winding, holding, keeping at the right temperature. I feel like he's going to come a cropper because we've done something wrong unknowingly. It's all the conflicting advice on websites, books, friends, family. And the strict instructions on everything you buy like formula etc.

This leads to my criticising my poor husband. He can't do a thing right. He's a loving daddy and a brilliant husband but I'm constantly on his back - you're winding baby too roughly, you dropped the dummy, you didn't wash your hands 3 million times before preparing the feed. I'm sapping his confidence and I'm sure ruining this magical time with his son. I'm in tears writing this. He's amazing. Baby is fine. Why am I being so f***ing neurotic. Anyone else relate to this?

I know how u feel i was the same! But just try to relax and let him get on with it, he will do u proud! Xx

Thanks ladies xxx

It's a nightmare. I just want to relax. I'm one of those people who knows the way I'm being is OTT but yet can't let that knowledge help me stop. Ugh. I hope this passes. I mean, baby will be fine won't he? The human race lives in a dirty world with germs ffs. I'm so neurotic. It's just ruining this whole time :(

I've bit my tongue a few times with my hubby, esp as Kynons his first but my second. I just try and let him learn hard way as he feels like he's doing it all wrong when I'm constantly moaning! The thing that does make me mad tho and I nag him for is not washing his hands when he's been for a smoke, I hate hate hate it cos LO ends up stinking too, I'm hoping my constant moaning will make him give up!

I think as well you can be too OTT with cleanliness & germs etc Wait til he starts putting his hands and muslins in his mouth, germ central but they need it a little bit I think. Sent you a text too Hun x

Thank you so much, girls. It's so good to hear that a) I'm not the only one and b) all will be fine when the daddies just get on with it.

I agree with the smoke thing!! And I agree with the needing germs thing. I think we've been marketed at so much by so many that we've all forgotten how to be human...and how hardy we are and need to get used to being. I've started biting my tongue today and also lightening up re: germs. All is fine & the world didn't end :)

Piglet's Mama - I got your lovely text xxx I cried like a girl ha (am I getting my period maybe?! All this emotion!) - ill text you back tomorrow. Loadsa love xxx

Hun remember all the rules are just 'guildlines'. We were pretty clean around everything to do with Jack when he was newborn e.g washing hands all the time, steralizing everything etc but now we're alot more relaxed. He's constantly dribbling and shoving everything he can grab in his mouth and we can't possibly clean EVERYTHING! He's never been poorly so I guess we're doing a good enough job! x

You're right - I've been way more relaxed today and feel so, so much better for it. They're just guidelines, like you say, and also to cover their backs. Was worrying I'd tipped into OCD.
Thank you xx

Glad you're feeling a bit more relaxed hun, it's hard isn't it when you don't know if you're doing everything right!

The germs thing is hard, I've got hand sanitizer etc, but Caleb likes to suck people's fingers to calm down and sometimes I just don't have time to quickly put some on!!! Also, you can't really tell what they're sucking can you, sometimes he sucks my arm without me even noticing, and his hands, clothes, anything that passes by his mouth!!!

A little bit of germiness doesn't harm them, as long as you're washing your hands after nappy changes haha! xxx

ClaireBear22 is right, its all guidelines.

I am a dad by the way and I feel for your husband. It was tough for me the first time round because I didn't want to crowd my wife with our new baby. I just made sure I was making the tea, bringing her what she needed and telling her to rest when she could. I just gave her space.

The first few times I took care of Sophia when she was just a little baby were so weird. I was worried that I wasn't doing it right but she just sat there gurgling away at me so she must have been happy!

Back to the guideline thing... We had our second baby 4 months ago and I was amazed that compared to the amount of visits and advice we had the first time around, this time we had two visits for weighing and that was it! I kept asking my wife when the midwife or health visitor was coming next and I couldn't believe we were just left to our own devices like that.

I think most of the advice and guidance is aimed at those who cannot take care of themselves, or maybe need that extra bit of monitoring (i'm sure you know the kind of person I am talking about). Most of us actually know how to do it, we just need to feel our way a little bit as we go.

You will try to clean everything, wash everything and worry about what goes near your baby but eventually you will probably tire of it and not bother. The obvious things like dogs licking faces and stuff still stands but they will touch things, dribble over things and put fingers in their mouth. Its all good for them as it builds up their immune systems.

Something that I read the other day will freak you out - parents actually arrange Pox Parties. They get their children together with other children with Chicken Pox so they all get it early on and it over and done with. I had no idea, how worrying it that???! :shock:

The key to this is that no child is the same and no parent is the same. Follow the guidelines you get from your surgery or health visitors. There are so many different website out there that tell you to do different things that contradict themselves. All you need to do is find out what works for you.

From how my wife often feels and how I feel as well, if you find yourself getting so upset by it all, remember you are not on your own and there is always someone who can help. I would talk to my GP just to make sure I was feeling all the same things that everyone does in your position.

Babies are tough little things. Don't think any less of us but one time ours rolled off the sofa on to the floor :oooo: . No tears, no fuss but a lot of disappointment in us for letting it happen.

Then the usual things happen. You will be used to your baby not reaching out for things or grabbing stuff but all of a sudden one day they will and it'll be a cup of tea or bowl of hot soup. There will be tears and there will be holding a hand under the cold tap for a while (theirs, not yours...) but its all part of growing up and learning.

Sorry this was such a long post and the over use of smileys, I bet it made you forget about washing stuff for 5 minutes!! :)

Despite all my advice above I still worry and now our eldest is off to nursery twice a week I worry even more. Is she being looked after? Will she fall over? Will another child hurt her? Its perfectly natural.

Take care

Stu

babe you need to relax your mind.. if you keep snapping off at him he'll automatically loose interest..men takes time to get things right,,, show to him and see this is how things works, and have trust in him or else the day when he says " am not good enough and cant do things right and walk off" you'll regret,,, hes human, please give him the confident and let him try and enjoy the father and son bonding..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back