My method of tracking my ovulation

Nancey.Sheetz

Reaction score
Thought I haven’t been a member for a long time on this forum, I do see a lot of fellow TTC having a lot of questions and doubts about tracking ovulation. I have been tracking my ovulation for a few years now, with great success. My husband and I always check my ovulation calendar before we start trying. I hope this will give you some good information about tracking your ovulation, since it’s a vital part of TTC. So here we go:

For ovulation tracking you need 3 things: a Basal Body Thermometer, an Ovulation Calendar and dedication. I’ll start with the Basal Body Thermometer. A Basal Body Thermometer is required to measure your temperature every day. You can just get a basic one at your local pharmacy or order one at Amazon. It is advised to take one that will show you the temperature of the day before, just in case you forget to write it down or you’re not sure if you’ve written down the correct temperature. When you have your thermometer simply measure your temperature at the same time everyday! Please put some thought in this, because there are days that you get out of bed earlier than other days. If you get out of bed to go to work at 7am but you wake up at 12am in the weekend, set your alarm for 7am in the weekend and measure your temperature and go to sleep after that. When measuring your Basal Body Temperature, make sure you do this first thing in the morning. If you get up before measuring your temperature it is an invalid temperature. When your alarm goes off simply turn it off and measure your temperature.

So now you are ready to measure your temperature every day. The next step is to chart your temperature every day. This is important because by this you can calculate when you ovulate. It is important to know when you ovulate because that’s when your chance of getting pregnant is. When you chart your Basal Body Temperature there are two things you can do: Chart it yourself, which is quite hard because it takes some knowledge in math. You can also use an online fertility chart. A fertility chart is a tool which will help you to find out when you ovulate. There are some good fertility chart tools online. The one I like to use is MyFertilityChart. You can sign up for a free trial here: http://www.myfertilitycharts.com/trial/ . I used it the free trial for a while and found that the predicted ovulation dates are more accurate than on FertilityFriend. I know FertilityFriend is one of the most known ovulation tracking tools, but for me it was not accurate enough. The predictions were usually 2 days too late which caused no pregnancy that month. MyFertilityChart was correct 9/10 months. I also found it very easy to fill in my temperatures.

Besides those two there’s a third important part of ovulation tracking: dedication. Tracking ovulation will only be useful if you are willing to take your temperature every day. If you skip a day it will already affect the outcome. If you really want a good outcome you should take your temperature every morning around the same time before doing anything else. As soon as you have calculated on what day you are ovulating, I would advise you to have intercourse daily on the five days before ovulating.

This is what I did: I have to wake up for work at 7:30 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. So I set my alarm on 7:30 every day, also during the weekends. On Saturday we usually go out at night and come back home at 4am. I will sleep for a few hours and my alarm will go at 7:30, I take my temperature and go back to sleep. Because I have a thermometer that also shows the last temperature I can write it down when I wake up later.
I hope this helped some of you because I had trouble tracking my ovulation too in the beginning. I have successfully tracked my ovulation for a few years now and have conceived already. I wish you all good luck ;) xx

Thanks for this Nancey. I've just started doing this for the first time this month as after 9 years on the pill I don't know my body at all so hopefully this will help.

Thanks for this Nancey. I've just started doing this for the first time this month as after 9 years on the pill I don't know my body at all so hopefully this will help.

No problem, trying to help a few people here. Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back