My dog has three weeks...

*Star*

Reaction score
before were going to have to rehome him.
Basically, were really struggling with him.
We got him before we got pregnant with this baby, and with me being so sick with hyperemesis, we missed a lot of time in the early days to train him.

Basically, he is just so hyper. He's a collie crossed with jack russel, (not sure how that worked tbh!).

He will jump up all the time, knocks my eldest over. We can't go in the back garden with the boys cause he wont leave them alone, and if we shut him in the kitchen he will bark and scratch ALL the time were outside.

He's chewed things up in the kitchen (where he stays at night), even though he has LOTS of toys and chew things in there for him to have.

This may sound petty, but he just wont chase a ball, I really wanted a dog that would chase a ball!

He's awful for 'going' in the kitchen, even though he is fed and then let out, and let out regulary during the day he will still pee on the floor and crap.

We've said that were going to spend the next three weeks working 200% with him, and if we can't make a significant improvement then he'll have to be rehomed.

My main problem is the fact that he can't be around the boys. I have to keep hold of him all the time when he is upstairs with the boys because he will jump up and lick their faces etc.

We really don't want to rehome him, but the children take priority. Especially now we have number 3 on the way.

If he would just do as he is told and lies down when we ask him, or stops jumping up onto the couch, and leaves the kids alone pretty much then there wouldn't be a problem.

I asked Benjamin if he liked Milo, and he said 'No mummy, he jumps up on me and scares me'

I think that sums it up really doesn't it :(

I'm sorry things have not worked out for you with this dog.

TBH though he does sound like the wrong kind of cross breed to have with young children. Collies need lots of time and energy regardless or else become bored and destructive. They are still pretty much only a few generations (if that) removed from pure working stock and they are just not suitable pets for most people. Cross that with a JRT and you are looking at one hyper kind of dog and certainly not one that is going to be easy to cope with when you have children around. Not really the kind of dog for your family I feel.

I think you would be better off handing him over to a rehoming centre where they can find him a home where he won't be around children and will have more one on one care and training. From the sounds of it, this is what he needs. Plus loads of exercise.

FWIW if you want a great family pet and one that chases a ball, something like a Springer spaniel would be good. But maybe wait a few years before getting another as they take work also but are much more biddable. Just need exericse, but are very good with kids. We got a 6 month old Whippet when I was 34 weeks PG. He's been wonderful and although a bit put out by the baby has been gentle and very well behaved. He has coped well with not having such long walks and does not have many accidents and if he does, its usually because we missed seeing him standing by the door looking to go out.

Good luck with your dog, but I really do feel for all that rehoming him is best.

Thanks Sherlock, I thought he would be so easy to train and the place we got him from basically said he would be perfect for us. My parents have a Springer and she is just the best. She would be perfect in our house.

Yes I've said that if we do rehome him then we wont get another one. Not until the kids are older and we have more time.

What food is he on? A lot of hyperactivity can be linked to food (though exercise and training are still really important, obviously) - a high protein diet can mean that a dog which is excitable anyway will go off the walls!

Take a look at what you're feeding him - in the ingredients everything should be listed. You want to be aiming at a protein level of below 20% - Chappie complete (dry food) is really good as it's low in protein and kind on tummies.

Those dog chews that can be bought from pet stores that are vibrant colours are also high in protein - as are things like pigs ears, etc.

An option for the destructive chewing and for the toilet issues is crate training - but it's likely to take more than 3 weeks for him to get used to, and I know some people find it controversial.

Basically, the dog goes in a big crate with water, chew toys, bedding. The crate becomes the dogs private space - when you're out, at bedtime, etc, the dog goes in the crate. This goes back to instinctive pack behaviour where when the pack leader (you!) goes out the rest of the pack returns to the den and they go to sleep. The crate has to be a welcoming place, with positive reinforcement - never punishment for bad behaviour.

Because it's the dog's private space, they are less likely to go to the toilet in it - so on your return you let them straight out in the garden/take them for a walk, and they go in the "right" place.

Our dogs get on really well with this method of training - particularly my young and rambunctious staffy. Both dogs were crated whilst we were at work, and now that I'm on maternity leave they still sleep all day - the staffy even sometimes puts herself to bed in the day rather than sleeping on the settee.

They also get treats for going in their crate that keep them entertained whilst we are out - stuffed kongs (stuffed with peanut butter, or some of their portion of dog food) are a real treat which last fior ages, and you can get loads of recipes off the internet.

Im sorry you have to rehome. I dont know many people with this type of dog that dont have some problems with regards to hyperness. Collies are working dogs, even my friend who had one from pup had real bother getting her to settle down. I must stress though that this dog did not bite. and none of the people I am thinking of had bitey dogs.

But if you do proceed to rehome, its not selfish, :hug: :hug: :hug:

I've just posted on a thread of sweetcheeks but if you are serious about giving training a go I really recommend The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. The training techniques are excellent - its not just about training the behaviour you want to alter but its about how you interact with the dog ALL the time. It will mean that the whole family would have to partake in the training (boys inc) so don't know if this would work.

You would see results after three weeks but it would take longer to completely retrain your dog.

Good luck (if it worked on my beast of a dog it will work on any! :lol: ) :D

I dont think theres many dogs that cant be trained if people try to train him, byt he sounds of it its not that you tried to train him and hes not taken to it very well, but that you had so much going on you just didnt have the time to do it !!
I think with a bit on cosistent training you'll be able to see results within 3 weeks, but obviously itll take longer for him to get into the habit of doing things properly.
Some simple things can make a hell of a difference though !!

Eg.. praising the hell out of doggie for doing their business outside,we started off by having her outside with us while we were doing the gardening, and at first she was a right pain the bum n kept trying to go inside to have a wee ! But once she realised she HAS to go outside, and would get loads of praise and treats for her trouble she started scratching at the backdoor once indoor weneva she needed the loo !!
Took loads of times of doing it but they get there !
I think we may have overdone it a bit with our dog because she now wees on command, can go for a whole walk without going and then you say * go for a wee wee tills * and away she goes lol and if she goes by herself does a little victory lap around the spot lol

Also our dog was never a fetcher, or ball chaser either, but weve started taking her round MILs whos got dogs who fetch and fetch and are totally tennis ball obsessed and since playing with them and nicking the ball evrytime they try n fetch it, shes started fetching at home, so i thin most dogs can be fetchers too :) !!!

:hug: good luck with the training if u decide to go for that instead :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back