My birthing story

JoS

Reaction score
I've finally got round to writing my birthing story.
I started getting contractions on the Tuesday lunch time, the day after my due date. Assuming that everything was starting I felt excited that I would soon be meeting my baby, how wrong I was!!!
My contractions carried on into Tuesday night, I had a bath, used my tens machine and as they got to 5 mins apart I phoned the labour ward. They advised me to stay at home as I seemed to be coping ok, which I was, I managed a few hours sleep and when I woke up I was disappointed that my contractions had stopped.
This carried on all week, I went from having contractions that were anything from 2 mins to 10 mins apart. Every time I phoned the labour ward I was told to have a bath and take paracetamol and not to go in until I was having three contractions in ten mins. So I followed their advice, I can honestly say I have never been so clean in all my life from so many baths!!!!
When it got to Saturday and still my contractions were not regular enough I just lost the plot! I was so tired from lack of sleep and just desperate for something to happen as I was convinced I would not be able to push my baby out as I was so exhausted!
I phoned the labour ward again and was really assertive, saying I was coming in as they at least needed to examine me and do a sweep, although the midwife wasn't happy I didn'y care!
So I got to labour ward, was finally examined and was told I was already 6 cm dilated! I was so relieved and the midwife was so shocked that I had got that far at home with no pain relief!
So from there thing went pretty quickly, the midwife broke my waters and I got in the birthing pool, still feeing pretty relaxed as my contractions were speeding up. I had gas and air but to be honest didn't really feel like it did anything.
After 2 hours I was examined again and was 8cm, after asking for more pain relief I was given half a dose of pethodine, as I really didn't want to have much but felt like I needed something!
An hour later I felt a massive urge to push, after another examination I was 10 cm and was told I could push, yay!
So this is where the fun began, started pushing and was going ok, not really noticing the time I was told I was I had been pushing for nealry three hours. If I'm honest I was tired, but as this was my first baby I thought it was going ok and the time was normal!
I was soon told it wasn't and that I needed some asistance, so they suggested forceps and c-section, which was my worst nightmare :( as originally I was determined to have a natural birth.
At this point there was prob about 10 people in the room, I started to panic as I was unsure what was happening and was asked to sign forms. My husband stepped in at this point and was fantastic, he could see I was worried and asked all the right questions. We were told the staff were changing shifts, which explained why there were so many! and were told really clearly exactly what was going to happen, that I would be taken to theatre, given a spinal block and then my husband could go in for the delivery.
So feeling more in control I felt much better as I went into theatre.
As they put the spinal block in I was still having contractions so they couldn't get it in I ended up with ten holes in my back!
Eventually it was in and husband came in to hold my hand. Seeing my legs in stirrups and not feeling them was very strange, as was being told to push with the forceps as I couldn't feel anything. So the forceps didn't work so they went ahead with the c-section, at this point I didn't care I just wanted to have my baby.
The c-section was fine and eventually I my baby was handed to my husband and we were told he had very big feet! We had to ask if he was a boy or girl as I think they assumed we already knew!
So thats it, five days of contractions and a birth that was completely what I didn't want my baby was here!
He weighed 8lb 7 and was back to back which was why I struggled to deliver natuarally. I spent the rest of the night starring at my baby boy in disbelief that he was so perfect and worth every minute of pain :)

Congratulations, I had two days of contractions and turned out the little one was back to back so ended up with a section aswell. So worth it when that little face looks up at you, enjoy every moment with your baby boy.

very well done hunni very proud of you for trying so hard and come out so well with your son hope your both doing fine x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back