• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MW Complaint

dannii87

Reaction score
I was PMd earlier by a lovely lady in Tri3 who lives very close to me because of the care she has received by our local MW Health Centre.

She said she had seen a post about my MW and wondered if we were using the same MW team - We are!!

After exchanging horrible and really terrible experiences, it has got me soooo angry about the care over here and I really really want to complain. These are my points;

- MW very rarely calls me back when I ring.

- MW is ONLY in the clinic Thurs & Fri afternoons.

- MW switches her phone off after 5pm Mon-Fri and it is off during the weekends.

- When MW goes on holiday, I am given no contact details of another MW to contact if I need to.

- I texted my MW worried about baby moving and never received a reply and it was never mentioned since.

- MW has got me confused with someone else on numerous occasions.

- I've NEVER had my fundal height measured.

- I've never had my weight done.

- I didn't even know we had to have an HIV test.

- When I told MW about finding out she's a girl, she said "Hmm, I still think boy" all due to the heartbeat sounding like a train - Way to go lady! Make me feel nervous why don't you.. :wall:

- I was never offered any bloods at 16 weeks for the Downs screening (I only knew about it from this forum) even though I didn't want one, that's not the point!

- I had pretty bad blood test results and only found out how bad it actually was because I chased for them. They said they'd call me if they were bad - They never did! And they were bad :wall:

- MW tries to get us in and out ready for the next lady so we feel rushed and on edge all the time.

- I was measuring quite big for my dates at 13 weeks and phoned her. She said she'll call me back, I went to work and Mum was at home so she called my house phone and told my mum that due to my 3 previous miscarriages and the bleeding I was experiencing (which I wasn't!) she wants me to go in for an emergency scan the next day. So my mum called me to let me know and said "Dannii, be honest with me, have you had any miscarriages that you haven't told me about?" and I said that this was my first pregnancy and she knows that (really confused at this point) and she told me that my MW had called and told her I had 3 miscarriages (which I haven't lol)...

...So, I arrive at Bedford hospital the next day and there are 5 sonographers (which scared the hell out of me, why did they need 5? Was something wrong with my baby?) anyway, they told me that it was because I had 3 previous miscarriages and was bleeding (again, I wasn't bloody bleeding!!) they needed to be certain everything was ok :wall: I HAVEN'T HAD ANY MISCARRIAGES!! I was so annoyed! So I explained that my MW had gotten me mixed up with someone else and they tutted about her and my MW phoned me the next day to apologise.

Not good enough :shakehead: Some poor woman who had been bleeding never got her scan that day.

Who would I speak to? I'd rather not speak to my MW because I'm a bit worried my care will decrease (lol! Even worse than it already is? Surely not!) just because I've complained? :think:

Blimey Dannii :shock: That's awful, especially about confusing you with other people! I think you can request another midwife without having to give them a reason, so if you didn't want to make a formal complaint you wouldn't have to. But obviously if you don't disclose details it doesn't help the next poor lady in your position if you don't give details. I'm not sure what or who you'd have to speak to about this, but good luck with whatever you chose to do anyway :hug:

C xxx

i'd ask for someone else! :hug:

I'm feeling it with mine, 4 appointments now 4 different midwifes so we spend most of the time going over old ground as no one has written anything down in the notes :wall:

When was your last appointment, only had my fundal height measured last week for the first time!

That is awful Dannii. It seems they do things SOOOO differently depending on where you live. All my bloods, HIV/Rubella/Downs/Siphillis etc etc where done at the Liverpool Womens Hospital alongside my first scan. Then at that appointment they book you in for your 20 week scan, you are then given the results of the tests at this appointment.

You don't actually get to see a midwife until your 24 weeks in my area. I had my first appointment last week. I was not given a number for my midwife or anything. But I think it's because Liverpool has a Womens hospital with an emergency room for geanocology only, so if there was a problem I could go straight there.

I think you should complain because it will only make you more and more anxious as you get closer to labour, if you feel there isn't a competent midwife at hand. In my first pregnancy I had an undiagnosed breech, due to the midwife not listening to me. I told her I knew my baby had turned and was no longer engaged, but she didn't listen, which resulted in an emergency section 2 days later. You should get together with the other lady and make a complaint. Good luck xxx

Hi Dannii,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing these problems given this is your first, theres no excuse forgive me for the pun of you were on your 4th!

My MW is a scatty cow and I know its no comfort but me and my husband have discussed changing my MW too.

She has lost bloods for me! my husband retook my blood and comfimed that they ok but she is that lazy she insists that she still has not got these results.

I like you have been called someone else on numerious occassions yet she knows me from me having my son and the mess she left me in over him... thats another story!

We have decided to let her carry on, but due to her past record we are on the ball with her and basically will not take any crap and she knows it.. I am having an elective C-section if all goes to plan and her comment was "well im not surprised after last time" well it was alot of her fault and she knows it! :wall:

I would say Dannii bear with her if you can, your notes are your notes and they are your bible for you and Evie and the chances are she will not be even at the birth.. if she is you know you can refuse her any contact with your care during labour if you feel uncomfortable her near you and let another MW take over on the Maternity Unit.

But if you do have future children and you still feel that strongly or still do now speak to your GP as I think you will still be referred to another MW's surgery or even possibly your ante-natal clinic at your hospital.

Try not to let it get you down from a fellow mum and someone who can't stand there MW and phones there husband in a complete tiss every time I see her so please dont let it stress you hun think of you and Evie.

Sorry its early so hope this does not confuse the hell out of you.

Take care :hug:
Kathy xx

Hello, I'm the lovely lady in Tri 3 :)

First off, Danni I've PMd you again - I'm back at MW next wk so may drop a letter of complaint in to the practice manager and post one to the Biggles HC too as that is where they all stem from! As we said, god knows what the antenatal classes will be like, can you imagine???

I've experienced a lot of smiliar stuff to Danni, not being told info about bloods I have had taken, never being weighed or having FH checked (despite bubs measuring 2 wks ahead in scans), not being able to get hold of any MWs and never get any responses as most of them are part time and have their phones switched off, etc, etc, etc. I am lucky if I get 10 mins per appt, which just doesn't cut the mustard when it's your first baby!!!! A friend of mine recently had a baby and her care with MWs was much better (yet only just down the road in Cambridge). The only real info I have had is when I have had my scans at Rosie Maternity, but the community MWs suck!

OK, rant over - it's a good job there's good forums and websites to do research otherwise women in Bedfordshire would be up shit creek by the sounds of it!!!!

x

Just to pick up on a couple of points:

- MW is ONLY in the clinic Thurs & Fri afternoons. - This is normal, my midwife only does her antenatal clinic on a wednesday afternoon

- MW switches her phone off after 5pm Mon-Fri and it is off during the weekends. - normal also, there will be someone who covers out of hours. My midwife told me her phone is only on between 8 and 4 mon to fri.

Everything else is a bit off.

I thought measuring fundal height is something that should be done as routine for each appointment after 22 weeks.

She should have told you fully about all the bloods so that you can give informed consent.

Is there another midwife you could transfer to?

OMG i thought mine were bad here. but thats awful! cant believe they keep mistaking you for someone else and telling ur mum you've had miscarriages when you havent :shock:

:hug: :hug: :hug:
That's awful! Go you for complaining!

My midwife is only at the surgery on a Tuesday but she is generally reachable by mobile.

And i've been given the times of a srop-in clinic which runs every weekday near me where you can just turn up and see a midwife - so in that way i know where to go if i need anything.

You are doing the right thing by complaining xxx

Dannii,

Sorry i've only had a quick read as i'm at work but get in contact with PALS, think this is your local group http://www.bedfordshirepct.nhs.uk/pals.php

Explain everything to them (and the lovely lady in tri 3!) they will then take up the case on your behalf, this is also then used to shape up the service in your area. (this is what happens in my area anyway)

Good Luck with it all and i'll pop back later for a proper read!

Claire&Jack said:
OMG i thought mine were bad here. but thats awful! cant believe they keep mistaking you for someone else and telling ur mum you've had miscarriages when you havent :shock:

Not only that, but if Dannii'd had previous miscarriages, it shouldn't be discussed with her Mum. What about patient confidentiality? If a complaint is going to be made then that should definately be highlighted!

Jesus Danni didnt know it was this bad !!! And to think ive bean moaning and moaning about my scan bruis your and i never have to see her again !! Surely MW's meant to make you feel relaxed and comfortable around her, i spose they see lots fo people so fair enough if they get you confused a bit, but to the point where there ringing you telling you family intimate details that dont even exist !! Madness !!! Definately complain your MW sounds really really unprofessional, that poor lady she didnt get back to about her bleeding !!! So when you txt her about babs not moving, she probs got back to someone else !!! Grrr

:hug: :hug: :hug: Try and move !!

OMG thats terrible. I don't really have any advice but didn't want to read and run :hug:
Would it be possible for you to change to another doctors and then get another M/W? I'm sorry I don't really know what else to suggest :oops:
hope you get it sorted soon

And i thought my midwife was bad!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Like you i was not told what any of my bloods were being taken for, my results were only put in when i went in cos she wasnt moving and the other midwife thought it was wierd and found them for me. No'one mentioned HIV tests and noone discussed the resutls of my bloods. My urine sample that was sent off was highly contaminated but again they didnt think to send another sample off.

My 28 week bloods still arnt in my notes even though it've seen them since, i looked up resutls and i was borderline anemic and had raised white blood cells indicating an infection but again noone rang me.

They didnt measure my fundal last time, and i've got them again this week where i'm pretty sure they wont mention anything new, i doubt they'll try and involve me in a birth plan and if i hadnt have gone to antenatal i woudlnt even know where to go if i go in to labour!

I know they see lots of women but i always feel rushed, and when i asked to quickly pop in and see midwife about a mat b1 form reception were so rude and no-one would let me near them, even though they're meant to be there to help me.

I would complain tbh, i think i will after i've had Tally, i was left waiting for over an hour for my appointment at 15 weeks cos they'd tripple booked it and no-one knew i was there.

You should definately complain Dannii. Its not fair that you've been treated so badly and your mw is a complete nutter- i remember you telling us about her in 1st tri- You can't have someone whos lost their marbles looking after you!
I guess the healthcare system really is different all around the country though cos I don't even know who my actual midwife is! I think its the woman I saw at my surgery a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not even sure :think: :oops:
I've seen different people for everything and have just been given a number on my notes for the hospital if theres anything wrong and (touch wood) so far I haven't had any need to call it. If I have any probs with a midwife then I will be the first to complain though and ask for someone else as this is stressful enough.

Aww chica :hug: I definately think you should bring up these issues.

It's not like you are in early days anymore and just being picky, you have put up with it and things haven't improved.

If I were you I'd say something now so I wouldn't regret it later, and to ensure service is improved for you and everyone else.

It may not just be your midwife, it could be the others there too and all be overstretched, so you could be helping to improve things for a lot of people.

Without feedback, they would not be able to move forward, so don't feel like you are doing anything wrong by putting your word forward :hug: xx

I made a complaint about my midwife in my first pregnancy. I was so unhappy with the care I was been given and I could hear others moaning about her after their ante natal appointments too.

I went to my GP and raised it with her and she was really appreciative that I had the courage to speak up. I was assigned to a different midwife in a different clinic, she was fabulous although she got reassigned to a different area soon after. They made sure my appointments weren't going to clash with when my original midwife was around to avoid any awkward situations.

They took my complaint very seriously.

I don't know how your midwife care is managed but I used to see mine at my local doctors surgery which is why I raised it with my GP.

I would urge you to put a complain in and ask to be switched to another midwife, it's your right to receive good quality care.

You go girl especially if someone else is making a similar compliant.

I think you have some very valid points esp the potential breech of confidentiality, waste of hospital time at the scan farce and lack of proper care, as for what others have said about the hours she is in and switching mobiles off this is normal, she needs a break and doesnt work 24/7 but you should be told of what to do in an emergency and have someone call you back! I would still add these points so in the future others are given clear information on who to go to and when etc as well as you finding out.

ask at your surgery their compliants procedure, (usually a letter to the surgery manager) but dont leave it there CC the primary care trust and seek advice from Patient Advisory Srevice /PALS regarding anyone else you can complain to.

where I live there is a head of midwifery for the whole of the county and I have had a friend advised to write to them too regarding a complaint.

good luck with it and what you are oth doing will help lots of women in the future.

Aww Dannii (and Jules) :hug: She sounds rubbish, i just read your first post out to my OH who was horrified. Midwives are there to help, end of story, if they aren't then they are in the wrong job.

Well done both of you for making complaints - you deserve much better! It makes me realise how lucky I am with my Midwives team. I hope you both get reassigned to someone just as good :D

Thank you ladies!! :hug: Wow you're all so supportive. I can't believe I STILL get overwhelmed with your loveliness after all the care you're given me since tri 1!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your advice and messages, and jollypops, thank you for the link! That's super, thanks :D

I'm going to write my letter of complaint now :D xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back