Mums who went back to work full time

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
Does it feel like you hardly get to spend any time with your LO?

Im considering going back full time at the end of January. I just cant stand relying on OH for money- im too financially independant. I just feel like I would hardly get to see Jake, especially with the amount of milestones I might miss which will be coming up in the next year.

I have gone back part time. 26hrs over 4 days to start with, then increased to 32hrs over 5 days. I find that a nice balance. I drop her off at nursery at 8am, and I am home with her about 4pm. I then get the afternoon / evening with her, and weekends.

Can you ask you employer to consider you going back part time?

I work 33hrs over 4.5 days and yes I feel that I hardly ever spend time with him anymore but I also enjoy my independence and having conversations with other women and when I do see him his face really lights up and we enjoy our time together playing with toys and going out places, I wouldn't work as much if I didn't have to! Do what feels right for you!!

I went back to uni after Tia (she was just six weeks old) but it was a condensed course which was 25 hours a week, plus extra studying that I did in the library.

I then went back to work 40 hours a week when she was 2 years old. Although it's hard... I have to admit I really enjoyed my freedom and independence. Plus I spent quality time with my daughter rather than just time and I managed to breast feed her till she was a year old.

I didn't really have much choice as I needed to work to keep a roof over my head and food on the table... this time around the baby will be 3 months old when I go back and it will have to be a minimum of 35 hours a week according to Spanish law, where I will be allowed just one hour off a day to breast feed (pretty crappy if you ask me). You shouldn't feel guilty about going back to work if you really have no choice. At the end of the day, if you need money to survive, then you have to work, thats not your fault.

Also I think it helped Tia ten fold to have time away from me, to be with other people... She was a clingy child (and still is) from the moment she was born, but at least whenever she has started a new school or nursery she has always been happy to go, knowing full well that I will come back for her. I always have so she is confident that mummy will not abandon her. :D She also has a great knot of friends and can easily flit between groups of them, or play on her own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back