• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mums who use breastshields......

Laur_250

Reaction score
Hello, need some tips..............

I use breastshields when i breastfeed during the night as my baby had to be bottle fed due to being prem and now wont latch onto nipple but will to the breastshields as he likes the teat-like feel.................

My question is: when i clean them using hot water and then sterilise them they always still seem to have a milky residue left over them and never seem completely clean?! Any one know any tips on cleaning them??

Also, to anyone who uses them alot like me, do you use one for each feed and then clean/sterilise it before each next one?

Thanks xx

I cant answer the first part hun as I have never used them but I would think you would sterilise them after each feed like you would a bottle! :hug:

me and purple13 have both used them if you ever need advice :D

they do get like that with the milk - I find that if you use the small end of a bottle brush and clean the inside of them with that it does the job :D

I had 2 packs (ended up dropping them or losing them at night, and I had to use them for every feed not just night time so I never wanted to be short..!) and used them one feed each and then cleaned+sterilised ready for the next feed. I know you said you only use them at night, but if for whatever reason you want to transport them or take them out anywhere with you, a 4 oz bottle/avent type weaning food pot is fab to keep them in if the pot and the shields have all been sterilised, then you just close the pot and take them away with you :D

i love the nipple shields, they were the only way I could feed, so I know allllll about them :D I've converted many a lady on here :D

x

Thanks leckershell thats good to know as i can only breastfeed using them too. I have only just started going a whole night breastfeeding without giving a bottle thanks to them :D so may start introducing more feeds in the day eventually so good to know about transporting them. I've bought another pack too now so if i cant be bothererd to get up and clean them i can use the others for the next feed as i keep them all next to bed. I'll try using the bottle brush to clean them more, they just seem really hard to get clean! I agree they are lifesavers though I'd be getting up a night to express every 4 hours without them.xx

My breastfeeding was hell until I tried them and then I never looked back. Used them with every feed (much against the midwife and HV's wishes) and contrary to what they say, there is nothing wrong with Ryan, we fed for 7 months (his choice to stop, kinda..lol) and he put on weight perfectly well. After all it is breastfeeding it's just not the baby touching your nipple and does that really matter? lol :) Can you tell I had to defend myself using them.. lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back