Moving to the Cot ........

lisa31

Reaction score
At the moment Heidi is rapidly out-growing her moses basket :shock: .
(thats when she is actually in it and asleep lol :roll:)

I have her cot all set up but it just seems sooooo big and she wears a grobag for bed everynight. Do I just lie her on a sheet in just her grobag? That doesnt seem very cosy to me? or is it not safe to put a sheet over her cos of the temperature (her room is very hot).

I dont really want to use blankets cos she is in her own room. I do have a monitor but feel better with her in a grobag cos I know that cant go over her head.

What did you all do? and what age did you put them in their cot?

L x

Damien went in his cot in the moses basket for a week to get used to it and then after that he went in the cot with his sheets and blankets ( even though tiny him looked funny right at the bottom!) He was about 10 weeks old when he went in the cot I think ( corrected age 4 weeks old ), and took to it okie. He us still in my room though - I'm not ready to let him off in his own room yet!

I have a crib so Brody will fit in it for at least another couple of months.
If you are worried about blankets, I would just make she she has a long sleeved vest on under her babygro and then a grobag. It might not seem very cosy, but she will wake up if she gets cold, then you might have to consider a light blanket until the weather gets warmer.

Maybe at first put her in the cot in her moses basket to get her used to the new view, then take the moses basket away and she what she thinks!
Does she ever have daytime naps in the cot? Now might be a good time to start if she doesn't.

Kacy went into her cot at 2 half months old cos she got to big for her moses basket but i kept putting her in her cot before she went into her own room, i did everything in her room and she had a naps in her cot and played her cot. Try putting her in the cot to play with you next to her or that she can still hear you or try putting her in their for a nap.

Hi Lisa

We're doing this this weekend, I'm going to start with putting Olivia'a carrycot in the cot like Urchin suggests so that it's not all new to her.

At the moment I swaddle her in a blanket because she wakes herself up when her arms hit the side of the carrycot but after a few nights in her cot I'll remove the carrycot and then try her in a grobag again.

I put her in her cot for a nap the other day and she was swaddled and looked so diddy at the bottom of it!

Let us know how it goes

Lucy x

Hi i have the same worries as lisa about putting frankie in her cot to as she is also outgrowing her moses basket very quickly. I would like her to go into the cot soon but i have little niggles about doing this and weither its going to be so soon??

Lisa we did it at the begining of the week!
We have never had a stand for her moses basket, so it has always stood inside her cot. She isnt too big for her basket, but looks a bit restricted. so we decided to go for it. She has slept great in it.
She does look really diddy in it, cos she is in her gro-bag but she seems really content.
I put her in a short sleeve vest, a full sleep suit and her 2 tog grobag (i think) if its a bit of a cold night i sometimes put scratchmitts on cos her hands get a bit cold. Our room is now about 21 degrees. I wouldnt like to just use sheets cos she kicks sooooo much, when i lay her in it for a nap i put a blanket over her, and shes laid there laughing away whilst she kicks it off :doh:
She has some musical cot toys and her own CD player with a lullaby CD, all in all she enjoys it. She has taken to sleeping 10pm til 3am then through til about 8am now so were very happy.
Good Luck with it!

Thanks everyone!

Heidi's room is quite warm, but I do find her hands go cold - so I may try scratch mitts - but then I worry they will fall off and go in her mouth and then she wont be able to breath (total paranoia I know!!) :roll:

Think I will introduce daytime naps in the cot starting tommorow then move her from the moses basket to the cot next week (or sooner if I think she will benefit!)

The only reason I think I need to move her is that she keeps waking herself up because her arms bang into the side of the moses basket cos she is getting bigger!!

Hels - how did it go making the move??! did it work ok?

L x

Lisa it went wonderfully! She looks soooooo tiny in it, but she is very content. She slept from 8.30 til 11 (she only woke because her cot musical toy came on....spooky!) then from 11.30 til 4 then through til 8.30. Its getting better, keep smiling, good luck with trying her cot!

we moved matthew when he was about 3 weeks because he was so long and a fidget being in the moses basket wasnt that cozy and i think we woke him he woke us! but he settled fine he has a routine of bath bottle bed. He wears a sleepsuit, grobag and scratch mitts as he gets cold hands! And he has never pulled them off! But if you are that worried maybe you should invest in a movement moniter that detects breathing we have the angel care one and its given me total peace of mind

Quick question: if they are in grobags do you still need to put them "feet to end" of the cot?

Lisa - I put socks on Olivia instead of mitts, they stay on better

Hels, I'm oping Olivia is following Charlie's lead, last two nights she's slept from around 10-3 then 4-8.30 (it takes me an hour to give her both boobs and change dirty nappy).

Lucy x

i put bayley and sera in their cots from birth and im planning to do that with this baby too. i put them feet to end in a growbag and a sheet but its hotter here and its ages since ive been in britain lol ive forgotten how cold it is.
love braiana xoxox

Phoebe went straight into her cot when she was born. Couldn't see the point in a Moses Basket to be honest. Have heard loads of stories about them only lasting a few weeks.

Phoebe hates anything over her. Tried a Grobag for 3weeks but she was waking in the night and taking hours to settle at night. Hates blankets over her too so I just put her in the cot in her baby gro and once she is asleep I put a blanket over her.

She just lays on a sheet and I don't tuck the blanket in, just lay it over her. Ideally you should do the 'feet to foot' method with their blankets tucked in but this just didn't work for Phoebe. :lol:

Good Luck :lol:

Ashtyn went in his cotbed at 2 weeks, he didnt like his moses basket! The cotbed is by the side of our bed. We just put him in his growbag with a sheet under him but none on top, he still looks tiny in it lol but hes never had a problem sleeping in it!

Iv put Ella in a grobag tonight for the first time but she is still in her moses basket, she keeps kicking the blankets onto her head so grobag is a brilliant idea!

She is almost too big for her moses basket but we cant get the cot into our room,even took the doors off and it still doesnt fit trough. I dont want her to be in her own room so soon because I am used to having her next to me!might sleep on the floor for a few nights -if Ill fit, the room is quite small!

I think if you are only using a gro bag then you dont need to do the feet to foot thing as they dont have any covers to get under, Matthew is still near the bottom of the cot but not touching the bottom. In the morning he always has his feet against the bars

Hi everyone - sorry I havent replied.

Heidi has been keeping me busy with her crying and grizzling/ D/H has taken over so I can have some 'Me' time so I thought I would catch up on here.

Well the move to the cot is working well :D - until the other night when she was sick on her gro bag so I had to put sheets and blankets on - so I spent all night in my room panicking that she was going to suffocate :roll: - so I have ordered another gro bag so we have a spare!

But all in all its worked well I am pleased to say. Hope you all are getting on well too!

L x

we have 2 grobags too! but only one "original" one, got another one cheap from matalan as an emergency one whilst the other one is in the wash! ruben starts off at the top of the cot, by morning he's more towards the bottom the little wriggler!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back