Mother cutting babies cord??

pie&twink

Reaction score
Hello,

My partner is very squeamish & really doesn't want to cut the babies cord, he didn't cut it with our 1st child & doesn't want to this time neither, which I totally understand.

Do you think the midwife will let me cut the cord? Or will they be more focused on me & baby having skin to skin to bond?

Forgot to ask midwife yesterday.

Oh how funny you posted this. Its something i forgot to ask aswell. My OH does want to cut the cord but im not holding out much hope of him being conscious by the time the baby arrives. Im not sure if they would let us if we have been on any sort of pain relief?

Its definately something i would like to do aswell!

Claire x

my hubby is unsure if he wants to and i would like to cut it aswell if daryl doesnt so this would be interesting to find out.

I dont know for sure but I cant see why they should say no tbh!?
Though it is something I have no intention of doing lol! :lol:

I cut Cally's cord. OH had cut Seren's and I wanted to do Cally's. The midwife will ask if OH wants to cut the cord and he just said no, but that I did. I have the photos of me doing so :lol: It just felt right, we waited for her cord to stop pulsing and it was like me finishing the birth process. Next time we will ask the girls if they would like to do it.

Put it in your birth plan, I had that and that I wanted to see the sex for myself.

beanie said:
Put it in your birth plan, I had that and that I wanted to see the sex for myself.

I like that idea.. will write it in there now.

Claire x

yuk yuk and yuk if hubby wants to do it he can but i dont :puke:

when i had each of mine i was offered if i wanted to do it, but said no

I had written in my birth plan that OH was to be asked (he is terribly squeamish) but if not, I wanted to do it. When the MW asked him if he wanted to (he had done so well and even watched her head crowning!) he said "NO!" in a very squeaky voice and she gave me the scissors to do it :lol:

She said it was the first time a mum had asked to do this when she was on, though!

I cut Imogens cord, was a fab experience - albeit a bit gross but cool for me to tell people that i cut my babys cord - cant wait to do it again!

Great, thanks for replies girls :hug:

I'll write it in my Birth Plan. x

never even thought of the cord cutting thanks for the reminder :D

Me and OH went to our first Parents to Be Class last thurs and the m/w mentioned that they dont even allow dads to cut the cord anymore at our hospital

Something to do with hygiene and all that. Pretty gutted :(

xx

I put in my birth plan that OH was to be offered the chance but he's pretty squeamish so I didn't think he would. He did though, I was so proud of him! I said that if he didn't want to I wanted them to ask my mum if she wanted to. I'd not really thought of doing it myself :think:

I think I'll probably put the same thing this time round.

Just to warn you that I don't think they allow your partner to cut the cord anymore. I asked and the mw said no because of health and safety. When Tamzin was born she was the only one in the room so she let my dh do it because I'd asked :D I would ask but don't be surprised if they say no.

Strangeness said:
Just to warn you that I don't think they allow your partner to cut the cord anymore. I asked and the mw said no because of health and safety. When Tamzin was born she was the only one in the room so she let my dh do it because I'd asked :D I would ask but don't be surprised if they say no.

It must be different in different health authorities or hospitals. My OH was offered the opportunity and my friend's OH in a different health authority (he also chickened out :lol: ).

Best way to find out is to ask your MW before writing birth plans etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back