Monday BBC1 'one born every 40 seconds' Panorama...

almeria

Reaction score

BBC1 8.30pm One Born Every 40 Seconds. Monday 25th July.

A panorama special revealing that some parts of the UK are facing a shortage of midwives, and asks if the NHS is providing appropriate maternity care.

I am definitely going to watch this!
Should be very interesting, maybe a bit worrying too....:eh:

I owuld absolutely love to train to be a midwife :( but the course involves overnight shifts while on training at the hospital...soo impossible with my 3 year old and soon to be newborn :( x

I would love to train too, i am looking into it, but also worry about the training/work schedule, as I will be a single mum in 3 weeks!
I was going to apply next year. Not sure how to get around it...

I know...the only way to get around it is if you could do it all in the daytime?? Im pretty sure as single parents we would get help with costs for the actual course?? what you reckon?? x

I know...the only way to get around it is if you could do it all in the daytime?? Im pretty sure as single parents we would get help with costs for the actual course?? what you reckon?? x

i looked into an NHS bursary, which i think is around 10 grand a year... so that would pay for expenses, but not overnight baby care!
i am sure there must be a way to study during the day whilst training...
saying that, most babies are born during the night, so this is when you will need to be available to observe.:wall2:
maybe my situation will have changed in 6 months, and it will be managable

i think i'll download it off of their i-player and then watch it after my little man is born . . . as i know my area is short staffed and are most likely to be on the program . . . the trust here always is!

i had got all my application sorted well before christmas and was waiting for one of my references to come back before i sent off my application . . . then i got my bfp . . . sometimes life likes to throw a curve ball at us doesn't it!!! but i must admit, as my midwifery care has been so rubbish it has made me more determined to give other women a better level of care, so i am defiantly going to train, will just delay it for a little while!

i think you should both go for it! there is a lot of help out there for those that need or would like it, especially when it comes to things like this! x

thanks spice, i feel the same way, i think i understand now what reassurances women need during pregnancy, and hopefully would be a patient mw!
i am giving myself 6 months with baby to see how it goes, then will look into it more seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back