MIL Rant - sorry

frankie707

Reaction score
So MIL is far far too over excited about this whole thing. She doesn't do anything, hasn't worked for years and years, she has a new godson who she dotes on and then this first grandchild on the way.

I have always found her way over the top and it got to the point a couple of weeks ago that OH had to tell her to back off because its OUR child NOT hers! She always wants to know EVERYTHING - what we are doing, when we are doing it etc.

So, we thought she had got the message about not over crowding us and the fact that even though we have a baby on the way that is not the only thing in our lives - we are still people. Last night we went down to see them for a BBQ and one of the first things she did was pull my baggy top aside to see if I had a bump!!!! WTF??? How is that backing off? :wall2: And then put up a massive fuss about me helping carry stuff outside - I'm pregnant not dying! Told OH about this and he was good - luckily he sees my point of view about this stuff.

I cant stand it at the moment, it really gets to me how involved she needs to be and how she just seems to see me as a carrier for her grandchild, I know its only because she is excited but if this carries on she is going to end up driving me away because its so claustrophobic.

Sorry just needed to get that out - cant really let loose to DH as its his mum and I dont want to make him feel bad.

does she think shes havin the baby?? theres no inbetween with mil's or family members. its either far to over excited or not interested! give her top a good yank in front of others and see if she likes it lol. its great that ur oh gets it tho! just hope shes not over powering when the little one arrives! xxx

That would drive me insane! I don't know how parents or in-laws don't realise that acting like that is only going to make you want to share things with them less! Hope she calms down a bit soon :hug:

Poor you, MILs can be such weirdos - mine is ok one minute and then speaking almost out of turn the next! Hang in there, can you avoid her? :hug:

Aaah MIL's!! I tell people I'm pregnant not unable to do things :wall2:

Thanks for the support girls.
OH is away for a bit now so I think I can avoid her for a while at least.
I am pretty sure she does think that because its her grandchild she should automatically be included in everything to do with the baby (this included my body at the moment - maybe I should start telling her how much wind ive got :) ) - this really really worries me for when the baby actually arrives especially as DH is being deployed for the first 6-7 months so I'll be on my own. I know I will need support but I can see how she will constantly be phoning or coming over.
Olly is brilliant he totally understands what she is like and says that I have to be strong with her - I worry about being rude to her but I think pretty soon I will have to say something especially if she goes for my tummy again next time I see them!!
Am just trying not to actually get stressed cos I know thats bad for little bean. Glad I've got you lot who understand :)

Blimey! No wonder you're ranting! MILs eh? Luckily I have a good MIL that I get on very well with. It's her first grandchild (but my parents' 8th!) so I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a bit overbearing as time progresses....

You're DH is right - you just have to be firm but I know what you mean about not wanting to appear rude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back