Midwife Homebirth Assessment

Redshoes

Reaction score
Posting this here and in Tri3 section because in a few weeks I have my home visit with my MW to be 'assessed' for our homebirth. Anyways, I just wondered if anyone had any advice/tips as to anything I can do or prepare for the visit? This MW made me cry after my last appointment because she was quite negative with me but I shall put that aside and look forward to her visit, so please, any advice greatly appreciated for others who've had the 'assessment' :)

Thankyou in advance :hug:

Were you have decided to give birth in your home, make sure that area has plenty of space, is near the front door and easy acess for the paramedics, and tidy :lol:

I know you get negitivity as this is your first hun I wanted a home birth, I laboured 6 hours at home and there was complications so went to hozzi ( thank god I did!) as it was my first. So please keep an open mind :) and dont be dissapointed if it doesnt happen, theres alwasy next time :D

Thankyou Tasha, I agree with keeping an open mind, hope my MW does too :hug:

:hug: Not a problem, remember its upto you and they cant tell you otherwise unless there is something wrong with either you or bubba and dont be pushed into anything if you dont feel right about it :hug:

Thankyou :hug: I would like my MW's support, not permission, and as LO and I are perfectly fine, it seems a shame she's more focussed toward something going wrong, but I guess on the day we shall see, and may not even be her who attends afterall, which is a little frustrating after all the upset :roll: but thankyou, I agree, it's every mothers right to decide :hug:

Hi Redshoes,

I had my first baby in the South of England, under a hospital which had a very high caesarian/assisted birth rate. I decided to have a home/water birth. I hired a birthing pool and, despite initial negativity, got 2 lovely midwives to attend to me at home (not my "named" midwife whom I didn't get along with).

Unfortunately, although I had very strong, regular contractions, my labour lasted 42 hours. After a day at home, I was exhausted and the midwives were too and they were concerned about me, so advised me to transfer to hospital. I found the transfer to hospital (in an ambulance) and settling in there very traumatic as I was really against going in there and worried they'd take over and I'd lose the kind of birth I'd wanted.

I was crying for ages when I got to the hospital. I was put in a horrible, shabby room and hooked up to a monitor on the bed, so couldn't move around. In my stressed state, I even agreed to an epidural - totally against what I had wanted originally. They tried the epidural 2 or 3 times, but it didn't work. It paralysed me, but I could still feel every contraction and they were worried about this, because seemingly this is rare. I decided there and then that I had to get a grip of myself.

From then on, I refused every kind of intervention. I let the epidural wear off hours before the birth (again, the mw had never known anyone to do this). They wanted to speed up my labour with - is it syntocinon? - but I refused, as the baby wasn't in distress. They even got an obstetiatrician in and he simply asked me where I was from (I was taking such a hard line with the poor midwives!). When I told him the name of my home town, he said he'd done his training there and instructed the midwives to leave me alone!

At the 2nd stage, I heard a mw say, "I'll do an epis" (short for episiotomy), but I still knew what she meant and told her that I wanted to tear naturally. I also refused stitches afterwards. My little boy was born fine. If there had been any indication he'd been in distress, then I would have adapted my views, but I knew from the other women in my family, that we naturally take a long time in labour, so I wasn't as worried as the hospital staff were about how long my birth was taking.

Of course, it wasn't the birth I had wanted, but at the end of the day, I gave birth naturally to a healthy baby and we both went home a few hours afterwards. It was very traumatic. So much so that the anaesthetist visited me after the birth and apologised for the epidural not working, but I told her I was glad that it had failed because it meant that I let it wear off and regained control. The 2 midwives I'd had at home visited me during labour in hospital (after they'd gone home for a sleep and came into work again the next day) and were worried that I was STILL in labour. They again visited me at home a few days after the birth to ask how I was feeling. They said that some women nver have sex again (let alone babies!) after such a stressful labour, but I thought that was a bit dramatic.

Saying that, although I had wanted a home birth and was very upset at going to hospital, but was glad I had a healthy baby (the most important thing, of course), I did find giving birth that first time the most traumatic thing I'd ever gone through. I remember saying to my husband that if I'd just witnessed the carnage of a train crash, I'd be less traumatised! But you quickly get over these things.

The thing that you don't anticipate, before you give birth, is that your perception of reality alters during labour. It's like being on drugs (I imagine). Your sense of smell, noise, everything is heightened. I think this means that your sense of "danger" is heightened too. It's easy to lose the plot and become a quivering wreck, especially if things change at the last minute and you end up in hospital.

I'm trying to say that although you say you're keeping an "open mind", try to really consider the scenario of having your home birth approved, but then having to transfer to hospital and receiving intervention there. If you think about it as a possibility beforehand, and let yourself know that if you do have to go to hospital, or accept pain relief or intervention by the hospital staff, that you haven't "failed", or been "deprived" (of the birth you wanted), then you'll be less stressed if it happens.

If you can, ask your mother, aunts, sisters etc. how long their first labour took. This can help give you an idea of how long you might be in labour. If you haven't already, read about home birth - the NCT used to do a book on it and try to join their antenatal classes.

At the end of the day, how you give birth - at home, in hospital, natural or assisted delivery - doesn't matter (and this comes from someone who first time around was adament she didn't want a hospital birth!). Yours and your baby's health is the most important thing.

I hope that you have the birth you want and that everything goes smoothly, and chances are, it will.

Love,
Wendy
xxx

I appreciate and thank you for sharing your story WendyWandy :hug: I am also happy for you that you did feel your birth experience went as well as it could have, given the situation, despite initial plans :hug: I completely agree that the safety of myself and LO comes first, that is one reason I wish to home birth, if a medical situation arose I wouldn't hesitate to move.

You had some lovely professionals around you who listened to you, which I think is the most important way to relieve any anxiety, I am so happy they listened to you and gave you back the control of your body and your birth.

The way birth is viewed today is quite centred on fear, complications and pain, things I am not focussing on, but that's not to say I'm ignorant or stupid of the phsicality of labour, my choosing to focus on relaxation and use my body's natural endorphins to ease my labour is a much preferred route than anything medical being administered.

I shall be attending a homebith group meeting next month with local women who intend to homebirth and local MW's and I know this will be invaluable, as well as the current information I get from the online homebirth group.

Yes I envisage giving birth at home, but I know that with my breathing, relaxation and the general hynobirthing teachings I practise, should I not be at home, I will be able to take that with me.

Thankyou again for sharing your story, its always comforting to hear a woman choosing her birth and listening to her body, thankyou very much Wendy, and I do hope this message finds you and your LO well :hug:

Thanks, Redshoes.

I know that you asked about what your homebirth "assessment" would involve, which I didn't go into at all! I seem to remember that my midwives were pleased that I didn't live in a flat, that there was space to park outside, that I lived quite close to the hospital (should there be an emergency), that I had a downstairs toilet for my use during labour (as my birthing pool was set up downstairs) and that it was relatively clutter free. They also commented that our house felt "relaxing" and "calm". Must have been all the scented oils and birdsong CDs!

The mws worried more about things like using "old" towels and protecting the furniture than I did. They also wanted me to have somewhere to lie down to rest and/or to be examined during the labour. It seemed useful too that we had two sitting rooms. This meant that because my waters had broken so early on and that I'd had contractions from the beginning that we could all "take a break" from each other when we had to.

I loved being at home during a lot of my labour. I'm glad I had tried for a home birth because, if not, I'd have spent far longer in hospital than I could have beared to. My midwives told me I was so relaxed in the early stages that I looked as though I was almost sleeping between contractions! I could also walk around my own home, lie down and eat when and what I wanted.

When I was due my second child, we were in very cramped temporary rented accomodation in the North of England, so homebirth didn't seem as practical. Luckily, the local hospital there was a beautiful village maternity unit which had its own custom-built birthing pool, with very homely birthing rooms. I still stayed at home as late as I could before going to hospital though. I spent the next few hours in the hospital pool and only came out to actually give birth. It was an easy 5 hour, intervention free labour and a wonderful experience. Again, I went home with my daughter a few hours later.

This time, I'll be giving birth in Scotland and I haven't given the birth any thought as yet.

I do think that being in your own home is far better than being in the unfamilar (and rather institutional) setting of a hospital. After all, childbirth is a natural process and, instinctively, we feel safest and most confident in the security of our own homes. I think you're doing the right thing in choosing to give birth at home - it seems the obvious choice!

Please remember to come back to the forum and tell us all about it afterwards.

xx

Thankyou again WendyWandy :hug:

From the sounds of it, you could do a recommendation for all over the UK hehe I'm at my local homebirth group next week so further questions we have we can ask there, thankfully my partner is supportive and wants us to birth at home too so I have him no matter what happens, which is the most comforting of all :)

I'm in the process of making our home as 'clutter free' and accessible as possible, and we're only 3.8miles from hospital, and being in a flat on the ground floor, everything's on the same level, so no stairs issues, and I shall be stocking up on towels :)

LOL @ "all the scented oils and birdsong CDs" :rotfl: I'm a bit smelly crazy anyway with oils and candles etc a homeopath friend is putting a birthing kit together for me, so maybe I'll ask if she has a midwife scent suggestion heehee

Very best wishes this pregnancy WendyWandy, I'm sure you'll be just fine whatever and wherever the birth leads you, thankyou for your time and I hope you and your family are well :hug:

Can I just say thanks as well for all the info. I'm currently TTC and if successful plan to have a homebirth all going well. My first son had a straightforward delivery although he was prem, and so if I can go full term this time there's no reason not to try at home.
I know our local midwives are anti home birth (my youngest sister is also trying to get one at the moment) but both of us had no pain relief or complications in our first labours, we live (apparently!) 12 minutes with blue lights from our hospital and have the best ambulance service in the country.

My first pregnancy meant a lot of time spent in hospital before my son was born and although conditions weren't too bad, I felt like I had no say or control during my delivery. Since then (13 years ago) the hospital hasn't been redecorated or maintained and is just horrible.

I'd like to be at home with all my sisters nearby, my son knowing where I am and what's going on (he's a worrier) and my husband and I able to relax and at least distract ourselves with what's going on around us (noone ever mentions how boring early labour is)

so thanks again :D

I had my booking appointment on Monday and my m/w suggested a homebirth! They must be quite keen on it in this part of the country. :D

I mentioned it to my partner (this is his first child) and he's very against it. Well, he doesn't even want to be at the birth at all. I was watching a programme about birth the other day and he ran out of the room. I tried to discuss it with him later and his face contorted in disgust, so I decided that if he's going to act as though birth is disgusting, then I don't want him there anyway.

My cousin who has just had her second baby wants to be my birth partner. I jokingly mentioned to her that she'd have to stand in for my partner and she jumped at the chance - I didn't realise she'd be so keen! We do get along really well though and our older daughters are the best of friends. The only thing is, my cousin has had 2 caesarians! Her first baby was breech and it was recommended, but even for her second, she was adamant that she didn't want a natural birth as it might ruin her sex life! When I mentioned a homebirth to her, she agreed with my partner: they think I'm "selfish" for "taking a risk with my baby's life".

Of course, there is always a niggling worry at the back of my mind that if something did go wrong, I would not be at a hospital, but that's a small risk, surely? I mean, how many true 'emergency' caesarians are performed? But this kind of negative attitude is putting a dampner on things....

Then again, my whole family were against my decision to breastfeed my older two and I ignored them.

I wish I had people around me who were positive about the idea of a homebirth. And I wish one of them could be my birthing partner :( Well, I have lots of time to think about it. I'll be able to read about your experiences on here at the very least.

Thanks.

xxxx

Oh my goodness - can't believe the reactions you're getting.
Emergency (true emergency) c sections are pretty rare. They wanted to give me one with my first son. Luckily one midwife decided to wait till my consultant came on duty who went mad at the fact that they had kept me awake all night with a drip in for no reason. He sent me back to the ward and I delivered a perfectly healthy baby naturally 2 weeks later. As long as you get it into your mind that if anything happens or goes wrong you will be perfectly happy to go to hospital and accept that happily as part of your birthplan then all should be ok either way.

So far as your partner goes then some men do find the idea unbearable, in the same way that some would find it difficult to watch anything with blood or bodily fluids in anyway. My husband didn't watch with his three children from his first marriage, it wasn't automatically expected at the time but he says that even if it had of been he couldn't have done it, but he's thrilled at the idea of being at our baby's birth (little sprinkling of babydust for luck as I mentioned TTC) But I would try and find a birth partner who is supportive of natural delivery - I've heard that surestart apparently have free doulas ("professional" birth support partners) in some areas - you could try contacting them? Good luck :D

there are a lot less risk with a natural homebirth than there is with a hospital birth. its much more relaxed and a lot less strained to have your children at home...if something bad happened they would transport u to the nearest hospital as well.

Good Luck libs, sending lots of babydust your way :cheer: :hug: :cheer:

Very best wishes for friday breezee1984 :hug:

Very best wishes with all your pregnancies too and I hope you get the births you wish for :hug:

:hug: WendyWandy, I am sorry to hear your partner feels the way he does about birth, though I know mainstream TV births worry me too, that's why I don't watch them, and I can understand why they'd worry your partner. I do hope you choose a birth partner who is supportive of all your birth choices.

And libs that's great news about the surestart doula's, I'd be looking into that had I not got my OH as my personal doula already :)

I personally believe that women have the right to choose however they wish to birth, but also that informing yourself, reading lots and questioning lots, will give you more confidence and reassurance in that choice. In Holland, they have a 70% homebirth rate, thats a fact that I find encouraging and comforting.

If you and your LO are healthy, a homebirth is safer, unless a medical emergency arises. At home, the birthing mum will give birth naturally, at her body and her baby's pace. She'll be more relaxed, releasing essential chemicals to ease labour, feeling in control and not rushed, and there's minimal chance of intervention.

I personally feel the problem with hospital for me, is that they have other issues, for example, labour's resting stage, when labour halts. I see this as natural occurence, it could be for many reasons, but in hospital it could be seen as a time to do some medical intervention, which more often than not isn't necessary.

People often say I want to birth in hospital so my baby is safe, personally that's why I'm having a homebirth because I know my first priority is my baby's safety. Going to hospital raises the chances of you having intervention, even a c-section, and there is the issues of privacy, control and infection too.

I would recommend this website whether you're having a homebirth or going to hospital :hug:
http://www.aims.org.uk/

On a final note my MW was nice as pie yesterday, and there was no eyebrow raising or negativity whatsoever :D I also have the homebirth group meeting in my area next week, which is full of independant MW's and mums, all with homebirth experience, so really excited about that :cheer:

Thanks for all the advice, girls (I hope no-one is offended by being called a "girl" - the older I get, the more I like it :D ).

I've ordered a book on homebirth from amazon and it should arrive today. I remeber reading Sheila Kitzinger's stuff 10 years ago, but from the reviews I've read, she hasn't updated her material for 20 years or so, so I've ordered one by a Nicky somebody (can't remember!).

Sorry Redshoes, for taking over your thread.

Thanks again.

xxx

:hug: WendyWandy :hug:
You didn't take over anything, it's great to hear other mums and mumstobe opinions, no matter what thread they are on, thankyou for being so open, and very best wishes :hug:

Thanks, Redshoes.

I got the book in - it's 'Home birth: A practical guide', by Nicky Wesson (4th ed.). I'll give it a read and visit the homebirth site recommended by Julie. I should have a good idea of all the pros and cons from which to make up my own mind by the time I get to third tri.

Good luck with having the births you want and please, share your experiences here afterwards (if you can spare the time once your little ones arrive).

xxxx

P.S. and good luck TTC, libs

Thanks for all the good lucks :D tomorrow or Saturday I get to try again so everything crossed!

Just a thought the two links are really useful - they would be great if they were made sticky so everyone could find them when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back