Midwife Homebirth Assessment

Redshoes

Reaction score
Posting this here and in Ask A Mum section because in a few weeks I have my home visit with my MW to be 'assessed' for our homebirth. Anyways, I just wondered if anyone had any advice/tips as to anything I can do or prepare for the visit? This MW made me cry after my last appointment because she was quite negative with me but I shall put that aside and look forward to her visit, so please, any advice greatly appreciated for others who've had the 'assessment' :)

Thankyou in advance :hug:

Sorry, I don't have any advice but try not to worry too much about it all.

I spoke to my midwife yesterday about a home birth and she was very encouraging. And said she'd pop some leaflets through my door this week.
She didn't mention an assessment as such, she just said we'll arrange a home visit in 2 weeks (I'll be 36 wks) and have a chat about it all and if I want a home birth then she'll bring all the stuff round that I need the following week (37 wks).

Good Luck and be strong.

Cx

Thankyou Charm :hug: The first MW I saw was like that, she was open, interested and genuine when it came to my choices for birth, this second MW I've now got is the opposite so I think it was a bit of a shock, but I am not worrying about it as I will be birthing at home, I just would like MW support, LO and I are perfectly fine and obviously I am well aware of events not going to plan but I'm not focussing on those :)

I think Valentine has had a MW assessment for home birth - not sure though. :think:

I hope you get to have the delivery you want. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear your MW wasn't supportive RedShoes. Obviously it's important are confident with the MW and feel like she's listening to you. Such a shame they have to be so obstructive at times. :(

Hi Redshoes,

Check out this link in my diary - I had my home visit assesment last week (@ 26 weeks, early eh?).

It might help to read back a bit as well as my midwife had previously been very negative re. home birth - particularly because of my weight (kept going on about the heightened possibility of intervention during birth due to my size, me needing a special appointment with a consultant at the hospital and extra scans etc etc) - but was lovely at my home visit and happy to go ahead as long as everything continues to be normal.

I'd love to hear about how you get on and good luck!

Love

Valentine xxx

Thankyou so much for the link to your MW visit story valentine :D :hug:
I have joined homebirth groups online and it's always wonderful to hear such positive storys where MW are pro homebirth as I do think its the womans choice, not a medical choice :)

Because of the hypnobirthing, I am practising many techniques to aid me through birth, including relaxation, breathing and massage, and so I too like you wish to keep the birth natural, drug free, with minimal interference of a medical nature.

Like yourself I have a high BMI but my BP baseline is 115/80 and I have been tested and got negative result for GTT and so I find it frustrating when my MW mentions those things because they are not detrimental, she did a lot of eyebrow raising and clicked her fingers sharply saying 'BP can change like that!' I was shocked at her negativity after the positive response from my other MW.

I will be attending a homebirth group meeting next month with other homebirth mumstobe and MW's so hopefully that will be invaluable too, I just feel so sad that there's so much issues surrounding homebirth, birth is natural afterall :roll:

Anyway I shall stop wittering now, I am glad to hear that your lump was a cyst, and I wish you all the very best for the birth of your choice too, and thankyou very, very much for the link to your diary :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi

Just thought ide wish you good luck and hope you get your home birth
Katrina

Hey Redshoes,

No worries - I'm so glad you found it helpful. I think it's so nice to find people who feel the same and who are going through similar experiences and who are hoping for similar births.

I'd love to learn more about hypnobirthing, but with paying for NCT etc, I can't afford to go to anymore classes (plus I think my OH thinks I'm batty for going to so many - it'd be a different story if he was going through the birth, me thinks!). I know you were talking about it with weenik a few days ago - if you have any online links or links to downloadable info, that'd really help me, if you don't mind?

My baseline BP is 110/80 so we really are similar!

I hope we can keep in touch. I am really hoping you get the birth you want and deserve too.

Love

Valentine xxx

:hug: valentine :hug:
I've chose not to have any ante-natal classes, and see my hypnobirthing classes as my education, they are based on the biology of birth as well as the techniques for a normal labour, and so feel they will aid me well.

I would recommend you get a copy of Marie Mongan's 'Hypnobirthing' book, which details all the history of birthing, breathing techniques, relaxation etc If nothing else I think the book will give you added confidence in yourself, and in your ability to birth naturally, without need for drugs etc

Then there's the website which is full of information, and will point you to offered practises and classes in your area, as well as recommended media to watch and read :) http://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/

Please PM me if you wish to ask anything more off the boards, and I too hope you get the natural birth you want :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back