Maybe I'm mad, but this is my first time

NewboldNewMum

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of new mums to be on here as well as mums who are having more little ones. Just wanted to get something off my chest really and ask if anyone else has had the same problem.

When I found out I was pregnant, just before Christmas, after doing no less than 3 tests, I phoned my doctors to make an appointment to get my pregnancy confirmed by the doctor. Having just recently moved, I moved doctors too, and the receptionist told me that the doctors do not actually confirm it any more and she point blankly asked me for the date of the start of my last period and then without telling me my due date, she went right ahead and booked me in with the midwife. I thought that it was all a bit odd and it really upset me, to think that a receptionist, who with no qualifications about doctoring or midwifery should be allowed to treat me(a first time mum to be) with such disrespect as she did. Not only that, she was trying to refuse me to actually see the doctor as well, I'd had enough of her in the end and told her that I wanted to see the doctor as well. I got to see the doctor, but I was relieved that the doctor went through most things with me, if that receptionist hadn't let me have that appointment, then god knows what I would have done. I have my partner, but from 3 weeks before Christmas until the 13 Jan, I would have been left to get on with my pregnancy without any medical advice what so ever.

So the question is, has anyone else be subjected to this kind of receptionist when they have found out that they are pregnant?

I'm probably overreacting, but I just found it all upsetting.

Bev

i have 2 boys and this is my 6th pregnancy and this was the first time my doc didn t confirm it. all the other times the doc did a test and confirmed it i waited 6 weeks after i foundout for my mw to contact me but they are always on the the other end of phone i you need anything

Grrrrr receptionists (I am on SUCH a rant-head today! :rofl:) Sometimes receptionists think that THEY are the medical professionals and need put back in their boxes.

I'd first inform the doctor at the practice you attend that this occurred, then go back and smack the receptionist in the face with a wet fish :rofl: (ONLY KIDDING! Legal caveat there...)

Last place I was registered with, the receptionist asked "why do you want to see the doctor" and if you didn't give her details, no appointment :shock: I was FURIOUS! All my personal details talked about in the reception room. Then she informed the doctor, who then called people back, and if he thought it warranted an appointment, would book you in that day.

REALLY hacked me off but it was in the "Practice Guide" and there was nothing I could do about it. Except just not bloody go to the doctor...

Make a complaint !(It's Frustrating Friday today! :rofl:) in a nice way, but let them know you don't like it. Read their "guidelines" first, though, as it could be part of their way of working...and if it is -change practices! No reason needed...just move :D :hug:

My receptionists at my docs are just the same. I usually get "what is it reguarding?"! I mean as if it's their business! I was shcoked that my doc didnt do a pregnancy test too but she just said the tests in the shops are as good if not better than their tests.

Can totally undrstand your frustration. x

I have put my foot down - completely - now when it comes to doctors and practices as I was SO fed up of feeling like a naughty kid when I wanted to see a doctor.

My new one ( I keep on about this but I do just absolutely LOVE her) is brilliant. I was supposed to register with the nearest practice, which I had been with for a short period about 5 years ago, but the TUDE when I went in was outrageous. Not only did the receptionist inform me that I HAD to go back to the same doctor I saw before- err, Patient's Charter, love, I can choose my own doctor - but they handed me a form regarding my alcohol intake, which was separate to the other registration forms, and demanded my PASSPORT , driving license AND proof of address from their "list". :shock: Never had to do THAT before...

It's why it took me so long to register when we moved here - for good - again. I was in bits when I came back, refusing to go back to the evil biach who saw me at that practice (who leaves a woman with a lump in their breast for over 8 months without sending them on for a scan, saying "it's not cancer, it's probably your bra...." :shock:) and was worried I didn't have a choice.

Of course, everyone DOES have the choice and I've actually stood up for myself in that respect and have found a fabulous doc. Hell, if I didn't like something about my current practice, I would just find another and keep moving until I found someone I liked. I've been pickier over vets for our dogs (I actually interview vets prior to letting them have the privilege of looking after our two :rofl:) so why not for myself eh?

People - they won't learn unless we complain! :hug: If something's not right, don't "be British" about it - get it sorted :good:

(Vigilante mode today....)

Delamere, it has taken me YEARS of being treated like a .... to get like this. :rofl: I just ended up saying "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH" and stopped taking crap from doctors. Honestly. It was actually my best friend's mum, who lives abroad (foreign best mate) and is herself a top doctor in her field, who said "you shouldn't be putting up with this! That's ridiculous! You live in a developed country, not a 3rd world nation, and yet we seem to have better healthcare". Made me think

That, and I got fed up of being walked over. Doesn't take much - and when you think about it, what the hell can they do to you for complaining? Put you in jail? Harm you? Damage your family? Nope...

I'm all for Uniting against Injustice, me :rofl:

Oh, and my OH REALLY doesn't like seeing his wife upset (none of them do, do they?) and was about to do the "piece of my mind" act at the doctor and I didn't want to witness that! :rofl: :rofl:

Good for you Toffeepop!! The receptionists at my docs are awful but I'm more than happy to stand my ground against them! There is also one doc I refuse to see because of the SHAMEFUL way he treated my OH when he had a cancer scare a few years ago. The doc didn't give a sh*t and made that quite clear. Now when the receptionist tries to allocate that doc to me for an appointment and I refuse it I'm more than happy to tell them why! I won't change practices because their services are actually very good, it's just one receptionist and one doctor I have particular problems with. Avoiding them seems to have sorted that out though!

Good, Inky, that you stand your ground. SO many people don't ...it's a shame because it if people don't know how badly they're doing, how can they improve?

:D Sorry to hear about your OH's treatment , though, over his cancer scare. That's just rubbish... :hug: Hope he's ok now!

yeah he was fine all along, but if you receive a call from the hospital saying that you've got shadows in your lungs after a chest xray and that you need to come in as a matter of urgency, that your doctor would care yeah? Not in this case. He wouldn't even speak to him on the phone to explain what was going on, we had to stay on the phone and tell them that we weren't going to hang up until someone spoke to us. The doctor went from being "not in today" to "in a meeting" to "on the toilet" (can you believe that?!) to "able to speak to you". We were on hold for over 20 minutes!! Rubbish!

I shouldn't read every post in a thread :lol: By the time I got to the end I had forgot what the OP said :lol:

Last few times I've been pg they haven't confirmed it either, I felt abit miffed too (doesn't take much :lol:)

My dr did do my initial booking but that was the last time I seen him in my pg, I did have all consultant care last time though (my choice) rather than MW care :D

our surgery will confirm anything you dont even have to see the doc. i just had to go to reception, ask for a pisspot and left it in the treatment room with instructions for preg test and rang back at 5 :D xx

I asked to see the doc and told her I was pg - i told receptionists i think too. The doc just filled out a form - ask the date of last AF, due date (she looked up on her calendar to check I can add up) and sent me on my way. No checks, no tests, no questions about symptons, nothing! I was really shocked! I've got the date through for my 12 week scan today (20th Jan) and found out I am seeing MW on 18th Jan when I rang up to hassle docs before Christmas. They just kept telling me it was too early - this it maybe, but for someone who has never experienced this before I've found it really difficult to get my head round. I've put on no weight and not really had morning sickness so am desperate to get to my scan to have someone confirm that this is actually happening and real!! GRrrrrrr!

I changed doctors when I was pregnant with my little boy. The other one was awful, got prescriptions wrong, always at least an hour late for appointments and very unclear when he was giving advice (his English wasn't so good), also the receptionist there was awful. I just thought, I can't be bringing my baby here when I have him and moved. I'd give your doc a few more chances and then do the same if you still hate it there. You will need an understanding doc when your LO arrrives.

ickleprawn, know how you feel, I've had no morning sickeness either, I go to the loo more often though. Just want to have my first scan now, but not sure when that will be, got to see the MW next week.

T-bird, the doctor is great, it's just the bloody receptionists, didn't help that it was my first time at that surgery neither. She was so unhelpful and obviously didn't care that I needed advice. Oh well, next time I phone, I'm not going to tell her what the appointment is for and if she asks then I'm going to ask her what qualifications she has in relation to my problem.

Thanks for your help though, glad to know that I'm not alone when it comes to bad receptionists..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back