Maternity Ward Visit

Shaz

Reaction score
Had our antenatal class visit to the Maternity Hospital last night - my god it suddenly makes it all very real!

We looked at the birthing pool room (not something I'm intending to use) and the other birthing suites which are all nicely decorated. It seemed horribly quiet because there was actually only one lady in labour at that time which felt really odd!

I just kept thinking "in 8 weeks time I'm going to be in one of those rooms and using that gas and air and lying on one of those beds"

Having finished the nursery this weekend and seeing the cot up and clothes hanging in the wardrobe - coupled with actually having seen the birthing suites it suddenly all seems very very real.

50% excited 50% terrified at the moment!!

I know what u mean!!!

At the min i have days where I am ok but other days where I am 90% scared and 10% excited!! I think the closer you get to the big day the more you just want baby out!!

Its good that youw ere able to see the ward though I know my hopsital is very reluctant to let people have a look becasue of "infection control reasons" !!!

I think that pretty good though Lyns, keeping infection to a minimum wouldnt be very good if the world and his wife could all have access any time they liked as you never know :think:

I still cant actually imagine being in labour...me actually THERE doing it if you know what I mean, perhaps im in denial!!

Know what you mean totally about the 90% scared, 10% excited :shock:

I personally think the "infection control" reasons were used as a cover for funding/staffing issues and the biggest cause of concern regarding spread of infection is Doctors not washing their handas and using equiptment such as stethescopes on all sorts of diferent patients and not cleaning them after! :puke:

I also think it is important that at some point in your pregnancy you are able to visit the place where you will give birth asonce you can visualise it things seem a little less scary!!

But then my hospital thinks that women don't need antenatal classes and offer a 1 hr session on a saturday to tell you about the 3 wards you could go to and what colour the babies poo should be when you get home! :shock: Thats the NHS for yoU!!!
:D

I also had a great time looking at our maternity unit! It does make you want to start preparing things doesn't it?!

The amount of time we have spent at the hospital lately we have sat there poicking foults the carpeps were stained sockets falling of and behind the raidiators were thick in durt i wont carry on, but they have got a bottle of hand spray by the door for people to use

I am really excited, mainly because im having a Home Birth ( if all goes to plan of course) I was more frightend about going into hospital than having to give birth, I hate them they are vile places :puke:

By the time you get to the end tho, for me its been more excitement that im finaly going to meet my baby and have my body back! :lol:

When I was in for a BP check the ward was soooo disgusting that when I came home the first thing I re-packed my hospital bag with was a packet of flash wipes!!! :shock: I am being serious!!

There was a news story a few weeks ago on Central where a woman caught C Dif (bad stomach bug) and MRSA and died 2 weeks after giving birth! :shock: I am going to flash wipe everything around me and make sure everyone uses the handwash!!!!

Tasha20 said:
I am really excited, mainly because im having a Home Birth ( if all goes to plan of course) I was more frightend about going into hospital than having to give birth, I hate them they are vile places :puke:

By the time you get to the end tho, for me its been more excitement that im finaly going to meet my baby and have my body back! :lol:

Yeah in a few weeks time im not going to have anywhere to rest my cuppa anymore! My little bump 'shelf' will have gone...and Il be left with a flabby tum lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back