maternity clothes - key items?

pixie17

Reaction score
I am currently 7 weeks pregnanat and my clothes are feeling tight on me already - especially my bras and trousers! I have been looking into maternity wear online (i live abroad and with the language barrier online shopping is less complicated) but I am confused with the sizing and styles. Firstly do you still fit into clothes the same size, i.e. I am a size 10 (unpregnant) so do i order maternity wear in the same size or a size up as i will be getting bigger? Or does it vary as you go along? Secondly the maternity trousers/skirts come with or without the belly band, from experience is it better to get them with or without?

Also can anyone advise on what the key peices are to get? I am keen to get comfortable clothes which are reasonable quality but at the same time i do not want to spend a fortune. Are there any brands which you would recommend for quality, style and comfort?

Any help/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regarding sizing, I believe you order your normal size and most come with adjustable waistbands. My sister in law swore by Next maternity clothing for style, price etc.

I cant comment on the band thing, as its my first pregnancy too lol

Would you not be cheaper at this early stage buying normal clothes a size up from your usual size?

Last edited:
hi bliss, thanks for your advice. i do buy next clothes normally so ill give them a go.

Ive just brought some dresses from New Look. They are cheap and have a sale on!

i was a small size ten on my bottom half pre-pregnancy and i bought 2pairs of size 10 maternity jeans from next they were £26 each and fit lovely and i know as long as i dont put much weight on my bum and legs they will fit comfortably all the way through the pregnancy, they have a low rise waist and small elasticated bump band about 3inches high.

My tops however i just bought cheap vests for now from Primark and river island but in the next size up and they fit comfortably for now... i did try a size 8 maternity top but i just looked stupid so ill hold out until the bump is bigger

Hope this helps you xx

I've got a few cheap bits in a bigger size for that in-between stage, not even needing maternity clothes yet but I have a few things ready for when I do, I only wear black but did manage to get jeans from mother care, and tops from new look and debenams. Materlan do a few cheap bits (but no black for me!). I got bras early on as I needed them and have just brought more as I'm still growing!

I can also recommend Next maternity trousers. I'm just 12 weeks and not really showing, but my clothes just don't fit anymore. Went shopping at the weekend intending to buy some cheapish trousers in a slightly bigger size. Then in Next spotted a small maternity rail and decided to give a couple of pairs of trousers a go. They are so comfortable.

I got a pair of linen trousers which have elasticated panels at the side which are hidden by the pockets and adjustable bits in the waistband, so they fit lovely now - in the size I would have needed pre-pregnancy, and should fit all through summer. In fact I'm going to get another pair in white, and they were only £20. I really expected all maternity wear to be priced at a premium, but these were really reasonable.

I also got a pair of smart black trousers for work which are elasticated with a wide jersey covered waistband. Again, they are really comfy and look smart too, so will work for the whole pregnancy. These were £22.

Most Next stores don't have the maternity range, but there is quite a bit online so if you know what size you were in Next before you got pregnant you should be able to order online in that size and find reasonably priced items to last for the remainder of the pregnancy.

I've got loads of basics from New Look - black leggings £9.99, packs of vests (3 for £12) etc etc. I live in vests, leggings and cardis everyday!!

I'd say buy clothes in the same size as usually.

For me the best buy were black footless tights/leggings (got them on ebay). I wear them with my dresses (I can still easily fit into my normal dresses). I also have jeans with a short stretchy band - very comfy.

If you feel that your boobs have grown, a new bra is a must have, especially if you are planning to breastfeed. At this stage you don't need a proper maternity bra, just any wireless bra wood be fine. They are cheaper and you are likely to grow again soon, so I wouldn't spend much money on a proper maternity bra just yet.

Hope this helps xx

thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back