Maternity Allowance

Ashbee

Reaction score
I know there's been a few threads about maternity allowance, but iv got a few questions.
I was a fulltime nursing student - while working with an agency at a local hospital as a nursing assistant. I have worked way over the criteria to get the highest payment in the 66 week test period over the 13 weeks (some weeks coming away with £300). I have been employed by the NHS for 4 years, however in the 66 week test period i did not work 26 full weeks? When i phoned them they said as long as i had been employed for more than 66 weeks and have the 13 week test period i will be eligible. However, i know how easy it is for them to turn around and say no. If i dont get this maternity allowance i am absolutely screwed!

Has anyone ever been rejected? also how long did it take for them to get back to you?

Im not savvy with the weeks and dates etc but being nhs and the amount youve worked are you hoping to get smp from the nhs or maternity allowance from the government of up to 135 a week which anyone who cant get smp is entitled to x

As long as you can prove you were employed for 26 weeks out of 66 then you should be fine. They include holiday weeks etc in the calculations not just weeks you earned money I think. Do you have a contract or anthing to prove your employment just in case?

I'm still waiting to hear back about my MA and I sent my forms off 3rd August ish xx

I'm not intitled to SMP Lou as iv had 2 different contracts and the one I'm on now and using for maternity leave I haven't made enough money so I'm hoping for maternity allowance as I can include both contracts. Ahh hope it doesn't take too long to sort out! I got a print off from work telling me my start date and it was years ago so hopefully that's all I need xx

have you heard anything yet Kanga? x

Jeezo! I might give them a phone x

Yeah maybe I should too, still waiting. xx

Well I phoned up and I'm confused lol I think he said that they received my claim on the 8th Aug and they are working through the ones that arrived on the 6th Aug at the mo, so should hear back soon hopefully xx

god! Wonder when i will hear :( I just want to know if im definatly getting it or not as if not - im screwed!!

Have you got the phone number Kanga? x

I phoned 0845 608 8610

But surprisingly got a text message this morning saying I'm entitled to my MA :D first payment will go in my bank within 5-10 days and then every 2 weeks from 25th Sept.

Maybe phone them up and it might speed them up for you xx

thats great! Is it a free phone number? ( chancing my luck! haha)

No unfortunately not :( think you can use 0345 instead of 0845 and it might be cheaper xx

Well i called and she said its going to be a further 3 weeks! :(

Oh no :( when did you put yours in? xx

About 3 weeks ago! It didnt get scanned into the system until 20th August. Im so scared in case i get rejected! Do you think there will be something else i can apply for if i do? x

I don't see why you should be rejected as you had a valid contract for the time. It doesn't matter whether you were paid money for the full time as long as you can show you were employed and had money for the 13 weeks on payslips. I reckon you will hear back before 3 weeks as your application arrived 12 days after mine, so I would say 2 weeks and then chase them up again xx

This is all is says on the gov website
- employed or self-employed for at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before the week your baby is due
You said your contract has been running for years
- earning at least £30 a week over any 13-week period
You can prove you earned money over any 13 weeks. This to me suggests you could earn nothing in some weeks and still qualify as long as your employed.

I really do think you will be fine xx

Last edited:
thanks! Iv had 2 contracts with the NHS - both well within the 66 weeks. Im just scared they are going to turn around and say iv had to of WORKED 26 weeks and not just been employed. I spoke to an adviser on the phone months ago about it and she said as long as i have been employed - but still a bit of a worry! The 13 weeks pay slips i sent away were on average 250 a week!

Fingers crossed! Living off beans and toast until then...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back