Maternity Advice.

Did you say if your a member of a union? Acas would only help after I'd spoken with my union and I'd followed the procedure of a grievance though in this instance it may be different x

I think you need to start a paper trail, can you send your HR person an email with 'as discussed on 18th May can you please clarify the school's position ect ect''

I think she's so out of whack on what she's saying on government policy I would be very surprised if she put it in writing to you.

As others have said go to ACAS as well.

I think you have a good case here! I am a manager and for my own reasons, not because I have pregnant employees, I have read my company's maternity policy, and it is deemed as "signed off sick" not an emergency appointment! I hope you get it sorted hun, please let us know as well x

I contacted ACAS. It seems they are well within their rights to do what they've done. Apparently any 'unplanned' emergency appointment can be classed as sick.
School do have discretion to decide whether to go ahead after such a small amount of time (I was only off for the morning) and I could carry on fighting it but no matter what I throw at them they don't have to accept and can continue to follow the government guidelines like they are doing.
It's clear to me they just want me off now so I'm not going to waste my energy and stress myself and baby out anymore. I will just have to accept it and try my best to enjoy my last 3 weeks until baby is born xx

Thank you for all your advice ladies xx

That is shocking. I would write an email to the school stating it's their discretion and your disgusted by the way this has been handled. X

While I appreciate the advice you have been given, I find it odd that such a 'government policy' has nothing in writing! Everything that workplaces follow needs to be documented in some way shape size or form, so I find it odd*for HR to say there was no such written advice.

Regardlesss, I hope you and baby are well, and you might as well make the most of the time!! Every cloud and all that!

It is in our maternity leave policy that any pregnancy related sickness/absence apart from routine ante natal appointments within the 4 weeks before expected date of confinement (due date) can result in maternity leave commencing, however it is the managers discretion if it is enforced.
I think your workplace have been too quick to push this on you after only one morning off and although they are within their rights to do so, I would certainly be letting my manager know how disappointed I was that she felt the need to enforce this instead of showing support and monitoring the situation a bit longer. It may make her think twice about doing it to someone else.

I would definitely email or speak to them on the phone and express my feelings. In fact it would make me think do I really want to go back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back