• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

little bird stuck in garden, advice please UPDATED :(

trixipaws

Reaction score
theres a little bird in our garden, its either a baby which cant fly yet or its hurt (it kinda hops/hobbles along but theres no blood or visible wound or anything).

we have 2 housecats who we let out into the garden but they dont go over the 2-metre walls or fence, one cat has special needs (got her from a rescue centre, she'd been kicked in the head as a kitten and think she got brain damage, she dont act like a normal cat and has no grace or ability to jump onto high places like a normal cat); and the other is placid and happy to stay on the premises.

aaaaaaanyway, they were out today and i heard a screechy chirpy commotion, i went to investigate and found the special-needs cat behind a big board propped against a wall, with this little bird. i chased the cats indoors and went to check on the bird. i really doubt the cat did anything (she has no co-ordination and shes not quick either) and there was no blood or anything so i think the bird was already there and she was just chasing/frightening it.

it definately cant fly tho, it flaps its wings when it hops along but u can get up close and touch it and it dont fly off, so i guess it cant? i feel sorry for it, i'v kept the cats in but i kno for fact other peoples cats come in our garden, cats that CAN navigate 2-metre walls & fences (unlike our cats!), therefore probably are more adept at killing things as well (unlike ours!) so i dont expect the bird to make it. i'v left out a saucer of water and some hamster food, what else can i do?

If you can catch it, you could put it in a cardboard box with food and water and then call the RSPCA. Or you can put some sort of box over the top of it, and then call the RSPCA. I called them last year when I found a pigeon in the middle of Oxford that had been attacked by a cat, they asked me to trap it until they could get there and take over.

As a vet nurse n please dont shout at me, LEAVE IT, if u call rspca or rspb or even take it to ur local vets, i know what the latter would do - they put them to sleep :( sorry

Most of them are fledging now so it probably needs a couple of days to find its wings. If its completely feathered just leave it and it will fly eventually, just make sure its safe i.e under a bush

:( Aww thats a shame ! Sorry i didn't see this earlier but it's really hard as to what to do with them, most vets and RSPB don't want to know and as Tori said they will put them to sleep as they have not got the time for them, sad but true... was it fully feathered or still a baby maybe fallen from a nest near by?

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back