• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lily Belle Rose 08/03/2012

rosiee

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I can't believe I'm here getting to write my birth story finally! It's a long one!!

My labour started on Friday the 2nd March. I got a severe headache and lost sight in my left eye at 3pm, so called the maternity ward. they told me to go to a&e, which i found strange considering my midwife had made such a big deal about going in if i experienced any headaches. I went in and a nurse took a urine sample and did my blood pressure, and found protein in my urine and my bp was higher than normal, therefore everything was indictating i may have pre eclamsia. she said she would get me up to maternity asap, and went to call them. half an hour later, she came back to say they wont see me until all other reasons non pregnancy related have been ruled out. i was not very happy, as i would rather anything to do with the pregnancy was ruled out first! but she said there ws nothing they could do and i had to be seen by a dr. I had to wait for her, then she just did exactly the same checks as the nurse and came to the same idea about pre eclamsia, so phoned maternity again. I waited for ages again, nearly an hour, for her to come back with a neaurology consultant. she said maternity had requested neurology check me first. the consultant sent me for a CT scan. I was so unhappy, I just wanted make sure babba was ok and see whether i do have pre eclamsia, and instead i had spent hours in a&e and was being sent for a scan that because of radiation had potential risks for the baby. I started getting contractions while i was waiting for my scan, about 10 mins apart. I told the dr and she said she would speed things along so i could get to maternity. after my scan, i had to wait in a&e for the results, and the contractions increased to 5mins apart and getting pretty painful. we waited half an hour before david went to find the dr again and tell her what was going on. she had forgotten we were there and said she would be quick. an hour went by and still nobody came and my contractions got really intense, so david ran off to get the dr. she had gone home and nobody knew about my case. we got the all clear from the scan and a dr called maternity who said they would now take me and test mel for pre eclamsia and monitor me over night. It was 10pm, I had been in a&e for 7 hours at 39 weeks preg and was only just getting to be seen by maternity!! They wheeled me up to the ward i would be staying on as my contractions were pretty bad, and when we got there nobody knew anything about me coming up and the midwife a&e had spoken to had gone home. the new midwife tried sending me straight home without checking me at all. I told her i wasnt leaving, that i wanted to be tested for pre eclamsia and i thought i was in labour. in the end she gave in and said she would test me but i wouldnt be staying overnight, and david had to leave because it was after visiting times. I told him to get the hospital bag and come straight back because i wasnt going anywhere.

luckily soon after david had left this midwifes shift ended and i got anew one, who i explained everything to. she wa horrified at how i had been treated and immediately got me on a monitor for babys heartbeat and my contractions, which were strong and regular, and got my blood test done for pre eclamsia and said i would definitely be in to keep an eye on overnight. she examined me because my contractions were so strong and frequent and found i was 2cm dilated. she said they wuould keep monitoring me and see if i made any progress. overnight, my contractions eased off, and became 20mins apart, and by the morning i hadnt dilated anymore, my vision was back and i got the all clear from my tests and went home. i was told i was in early labour and the baby looked like it would be here within the next week, but i had to go home until my contractions were 3mins apart.

my contractions increased to 10mons apart on the sunday, then 5mins apart on the monday. They were painful and i couldnt get comfortable and sleep, except drifting off for a couple of mins every now and again between contractions. they carried on 5mins apart until wednesday, when at about 3pm they started coming every 3mins. this carried on so we went into hospital at 5. I was given a young midwife just out of uni who didnt really seem to know what she was doing and was reluctant to do much. she didnt want to examine me and kept saying im coping well and there wasnt much point, and maybe she would do it later, but i would probably be better at home. I refused to leave!! Id been in labour for 5 days already and was in so much pain, and i hadnt slept, and knew this was it.

I had a drip put in half way through the night as i was throwing up so much, but this was taken out by the morning. at about midnight I asked for some pain relief so i could try and get some rest, and she offered me paracetamol!! I knew that wouldnt do the trick, but accepted it, however immediately threw it up. She said my other option would be gas and air, so i took that, which i felt helped because i could focus on my breathing better and had something to bite on, but i didnt find it eased the pain much, snd definitely not enough to sleep.I told gthe midwife I had wanted my labour t be as natural as possible, but i was exhausted and wanted enough energy to be able to push. she said diamorphine could help for a few hours, but she couldnt give it to me without an examination. i told her i wanted to be examined!! I couldnt believe how reluctant she was to do it, you could tell she was really uncomfortable doing it, but finally did at 3am and told me i was 3cm. it was so disheartening, after 5 days i had dilated 1cm. but she gave me the diamorphine which was AMAZING!! i loved it!! for two hours i could feel the contractions, but not as pain, just as muscle movement, and could sleep! at last!! at 5am it had worn off though, but i felt refreshed and ready to deal with the rest of labour. the midwife swapped shifts too and i got a muh better one. she examined me at about 10am and found i was 4cm. i tried to think positively, as it was progress, just not much. she suggested if i wasnt planning on an epidural they had a birthing room that was much bigger and nicer upstairs if i wanted to be transferred. I decided to do it and was taken there at 1pm. It was lovely!! It was a big room without a bit, just bean bags and couch things and birthing balls, and there was aromatherepy oils that David used to massage me and an en suite toilet and shower.but by this point the contractions were every 2mins and so intense, and i was exhausted again. my time there was a bit of a blur. i was more comfortable on the bean bag/sofa things on the floor on all fours than i was in the bed but in so much pain and i hadnt had enough sleep, i wasnt very with it!!

I had another examination at 5.30pm as my contractions were coming faster and stronger, my waters broke and i felt like i wanted to push. the midwife told me i was 7cm. I was so dissapointed. I couldnt believe that was it, i felt like she was coming now. the midwife told me i probably just needed the toilet. she told me to empty my bowels and that i had another couple of hours left yet. i went to the bathroom and the contractions were horrendous, i felt like there was no way i could cope for another couple of hours. i asked the midwife for diamorphine. she left to get it, when the urge to push was too strong, and i started to. David looked panicked but couldnt get anyone because i was holding nto him for support while squatting down. the midwife came back though when she heard my screams, she said she knew from the way i screamed that this was it!! david sat on the sofa while i knelt in front of him, using his arms to support me and apparently headbutting him in the crotch with every push, although i was in too much pain to notice. Lily Belle Rose Gower came into the world at 5.53. I had gone from 7cm to delivering her within half an hour, after it had taken me a week to get from 2cm to 3!! I delivered her straight onto the floor, and picked her up and cuddled her to me. I delivered the placenta in another 9mins by injection, and had half an hour of skin to skin and breastfeeding before i was stitched up and Lily was cleaned off and given to her daddy :D i had a second degree tear and a few smaller tears. we were told we could go home that evening after Lily and i had had our medical checks, however being short staffed it took 18 hours to get our initial checks done!!!! so we couldnt leave until the following afternoon in the end, which was frustrating.

Lily was 6lb 12oz. I am amazed by her and so in love, we both are. she is the most precious little thing. even though my labour was long and exhausting, I am really happy we went to the birthing centre room because the end part of labour in there were brilliant. I loved how natural the delivery was and how much the midwife let us do things our way in the there and interfered as little as possible. I think if we had stayed in the small medical room where we started, i wouldnt feel as satisfied with the birth if that makes sense. I think the delivery would have been worse because i wouldnt have been able to relax and do things my way as much.

here she is, our perfect little girl :D :cloud9:

429038_10151554207575001_808990000_23520151_56949659_n.jpg

423614_10151554207165001_808990000_23520148_1861111042_n.jpg

419596_10151552051935001_808990000_23511045_995813714_n.jpg

420350_10151552052260001_808990000_23511048_1797567150_n.jpg

429981_10151552050965001_808990000_23511031_1010608538_n.jpg

oh she is beautiful congratulations :) and well done to you, what a time you've had. enjoy your first weeks hun they are so precious xx

Awwww what a little doll. shes beautiful. Congrats hun xxx

Congratulations! Sounds like you did brilliantly x

Congratulations hunni she's beautiful xx

Wow! What a labour! You did amazingly well. I would have been in a right state if I had been treated the way you were. Glad you enjoyed the birthing centre room!
Lily is beautiful! Congratulations!

wow you did so well and sound like you stayed so calm and positive. she is just gorgeous. congratulations!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back