Lil miss can speak Swedish?

Squiglet

Reaction score
Lil miss has started saying things in Swedish. I only ever speak to her in English, maybe Spanish if we are out and about, but mainly English. DH's mum only ever speaks Swedish to her, but she doesn't look after her much maybe once twice a week when I'm at work...

But lil miss has started saying several words in Swedish :shock: They are quite clearly Swedish too.. Kaka for cake/biscuit, sko for shoe (and socks), Fammu, Faffa (grandma and grandpa), hej do (see ya), titta (look)...

The thing is she can also say a couple of these words in English too..gwandma, gwandpa, look...

I've never had a bilingual baby before. Tia started going to Spanish school at 3 and had speech problems.

Does anyone know if this is normal? Even though she doesn't speak Swedish regularly.

That is cooooooool! It could well be she's picked these words up, she's very bright so she probably has. The most dutch thing Becky says is "Papa" :lol:

I've nannied for familes who were bilingual and it sounds pretty normal to me. Although Lil Miss is probably a bit earlier than some.

Often children latch on sounds, so if she likes the sound of some of these words she may find sounding them more fun than English words. Also hearing a mix of languages round her she obviously has no problems picking out words and associating them.

Young childen have no fear or hang ups speaking other languages either. Its very natural to them to take on board what they hear around them.

I'd say you have a bright little lady there who is making a head start :)

The only thing you may find is that as she talks more she may mix her languages as she does so. Half a sentence will be in English, then she'll throw in a few words of Swedish or Spanish and then revert back to English to complete it. She'll use words she knows that fit, even if its not the same language, it will make sense to her :) I used to get very thrown hearing English, German, Dutch and then English again when a two year old was talking :shock: :lol:

OH no... I don't speak Swedish :? *grumble* DH won't teach me.. I'm not going to understand lil miss :(

Thats awesome!

I bet Swedish from a kid is really cute too. A friend of mines twins used to say particular words in Spanish but only cos of Dora the Explorer :D

That's amazing, I always wished I was more natural at languages! Think you need to get a "Teach yourself Swedish" course so you can know if she's being cheeky :D

How brainy is she!!

She will be able to swear at you and everything and you won't even know! :lol:

I'm sure she will teach you when she's older if you ask her nicely!

Kim x x x x

We speak with Daniel in 3 languages and he definately understand all of them and says a couple of words in each.
I think it is pretty normal. Babies are smart and if your DH speaks to her in Swedish she will pick up everything quick. Especially if she is a good talker anyway. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back