Languages

emeraldsroses said:
Good heavens! From reading all this you should definitely move back to this country, but perhaps to another city (Rotterdam or surrounding area, perhaps :wink: ) Much more easy going than Amsterdam, to be honest.

I never really liked Rotterdam tbh. I did visit a few times but it never won my heart as Amsterdam did. And rural or smaller towns were never appealing to me in the least. Amsterdam and I just clicked :D

I don't think I shall ever live back there again. My life has moved on and I am happy with it. OH and I did talk about the possibility of living in Amsterdam if a job for him came up there, but its not something I think I would do now. We hope to move to NZ eventually (OH is Australian and lived in NZ for a while and loved it), our long term plan anyways :) Until then we are happy here in England.

puppylove said:
Rosie, is arabic hard to learn i see ones in my school with the arabic -dutch wordbooks ive had a look and really cant understand anything of it at all and they write from left to right which i find nice to watch.

i found it quite easy as i live with my OH and his sister and her husband who all speak arabic so its easier to pick up. learning to write and read it is quite easy once you have learned the alphabet. although there are different types of arabic for each arab country like different words different usage and different accents. i learned the book language which is the main language that most understand and iraqi arabic but my best friends dad is egyptian and when he speaks in arabic i dont understand it because of the different accent lol yeah i find the writing pretty, more like little pictures than letters :)

Rosie yeh as u say its like little drawings more than letters, i even asked a person to write my name in arabic to i saw what it would look like and i thought well thats interesting.

english (JUST!!!) :lol:
french
and a teeny bit of spanish

Kim&Leah said:
english (JUST!!!) :lol:
french
and a teeny bit of spanish

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Well thats good u can speak french and spanish, i think spanish is a nice language to have although i dont speak it myself there are alot of countries speak spanish.

I can speak English and Dutch.
We are trying to bring our children up to be bilingual - My OH Is Dutch, I am English and we live in England.
Daughter who is 6 understands Dutch fluently - but has really only just begun speaking it. Hopefully this will continue to develop. Son also understands Dutch and English.
I love the NL - the people, the culture, the language, especially the family attitude over there - mutch better work/life balance than in England.
However, I could never live there as I would miss my family too much - I am a real homebird. :D

Freya thats a great way to bring up ur children with different languages its good they can commuicate with ur husbands family also, when i first moved here i was home sick alot but i have got used to living here and go home now and again for a wee holiday to catch up with my family and of course from time to time my family come to visit.

English
French (to just a little less than degree level - fluently but with grammatical errors)

then others that I have qualifications in but am very very rusty at:

Spanish (A level)
Italian (A grade GCSE)
Polish (Beginners course)

and I can count to 5 in Mandarin haha

I speak English, Spanish and a teeny bit of German.

Hi Xena,

you done very well in ur exams with ur languages.

Hi SarahH,

Spanish and French seems to be popular to learn as i c alot of others on here have it too.

English: mother tongue
German: fluent
French: I can get by.... :)

Well I feel comparatively stupid compared to my DH and his family. I speak English and Spanish fluently... some gaelic and Swedish and well I can ask where the tourist information place is in French... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Tia speaks Spanish, English and Valenciano (local language like welsh) fluently and some Swedish...

DH on the other hand :roll: speaks.... English, Spanish, Valenciano, Swedish, Finnish as if he was a native...accents and all...then he can speak French, German and Norweigan, really really well... then he can sorta speak Italian, Latin (er why??) and Danish...

FIL you can add Hungarian and Welsh to that mix too... but all the above languages just better... :rotfl:

Its sickening... isn't it... :roll:

Sammystar,

German seems also to be a popular language with some others that replyed too my b/f can speak a bit of germany and undersand the most of a conversation he is dutch and can also speak very good english.

Squiglet,

Well thats alot of languages it puts me to shame as i can only speak 2 languages.

lol you all put me to shame.

Native language is English.

I remember bits of GCSE level French from school and although I keep going back to it I start again from the basics and do it for a few days then get side tracked by something else so don't get all that much further :rotfl:
I've been taken by surprise twice by french tourists and understood what they wanted which really shocked me...words I recognised but would have never been able to recall on my own had the shoe been on the other foot and I was in France :roll:
The first time was when I worked in a cinema and this chap wanted to watch a movie but had to get the last bus at such-and-such a time and so he was asking whats was on, whats times the next films started and what times they came out :roll: ...I paniced at first but non of my colleagues including a manager understood him so I asked him to reapeat and then understood and started trying to find him a movie....had to reply in English though :rotfl:

Arabic/Urdu/Punjabi - I am 'learning' all of these :oops: :roll: *eh-hem*

I know my arabic alphabet and can read and write a few select words but I've not actually learnt how to join letters together yet to write something different. :oops:
I know how to say very random things like fruit, cat, cow, stock, train, nose, rabbit etc from a 'learn your alphabet' book :lol:
The main arabic I know is from everyday words/use....like Asalamalikum, Walikumasalam, Mashallah, Alhamdillilah etc :) Seeing that me and hubby are both Muslim so this is our 'universal language' to speak to other Muslims.
However the difference is hubby was raised Muslim and so knows enough arabic to get by and read Quran even though it's not his native language but I only converted 2.5years ago and I've been too lazy to learn it properly!! :oops:

Urdu and Punjabi I find quite easy to mix up because they are very similar and you tend to find Asain's...especially from Pakistan and Indian areas speak both and change depending on their company :wall: :roll:
I can't read or write them although Urdu is a lot like Arabic....but I do know over 20 words (mind goes blank when I try to list them :doh: ) and I can deifnately understand more than I can say :shhh: :twisted: but I really should practice more because the less I listen to it/use it the sloppier I get.
Hubby speaks fluent Urdu and quite a bit of Punjabi but his accent makes it difficult for me to learn :wall: My best friend is also Pakistani and I can quite clearly hear words when she says them but my hubby seems to muffle the ends of words and I could end up saying something completely different :talkhand:

Our children will hopefully be multi lingual.....English, Urdu and Arabic :D I just need to leanr more or them and Daddy will be calling me and I'll never know!!!

noor-usman,

well u do have alot of learning to do to learn all those languages, i wish u good luck with them all.

I can understand written Spanish quite well and can probably write a but, but talking and listening are a different matter entirely for me, I am trying my best but people talk way too fast and it takes me ages to find what I want to say.

I think people should say how well they speak a language instead of writing a list of languages that they can hold probably a basic conversation. I did Spanish to GCSE and did quite well but am really trying to improve for Kai as we want him to speak it fluently.

Babsi, good luck with doing more with ur Spanish.

HappyAlice BSL- im taken that as basic sign language please corrrect me if im wrong but if im right thats great i have also a little sign language its called makaton (sp) i learned it as i worked with disable people that used it.

Freya said:
I can speak English and Dutch.
We are trying to bring our children up to be bilingual - My OH Is Dutch, I am English and we live in England.
Daughter who is 6 understands Dutch fluently - but has really only just begun speaking it. Hopefully this will continue to develop. Son also understands Dutch and English.
I love the NL - the people, the culture, the language, especially the family attitude over there - mutch better work/life balance than in England.
However, I could never live there as I would miss my family too much - I am a real homebird. :D
Where is your OH's family from in the Netherlands? I'm amazed at the amount of people on here who can actually speak/understand Dutch. And here I was thinking I was all alone :(

puppylove said:
Babsi, good luck with doing more with ur Spanish.

HappyAlice BSL- im taken that as basic sign language please corrrect me if im wrong but if im right thats great i have also a little sign language its called makaton (sp) i learned it as i worked with disable people that used it.

No its British Sign Language BSL....Makatons different although deaf children start with Makaton before moving to BSL... I used it with my brother and sister (who both have Downs) and my daughter who had hearing loss and Speech problems. Makaton is more of an aid to talking rather than a replacement language :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back