Labour, Birth, Hospital, Going home LISTS!

violet-glow

Reaction score
If your like me then your seriously paranoid that your going to forget to pack something. Ive made a few lists........

Labour List

Birth Plan (if you have one)
Old nightdress or T-Shirt (To give birth in)
Petroleum jelly (For your lips)
Dressing gown (for obvious reasons)
Flannel/Sponge, Water spray, Baby wipes (So birthing partner can cool you down)
Energy drinks and Glucose tablets (To give you energy, you'll need it)

After Labour List

Large dark towel (So you can go have a shower, you'll need one lol)
2 packs of maternity pads
Disposable or old knickers (you'll be messy down there sorry TMI)
Breast pads
Snaks and drinks (believe me you'll be hungry after the birth)
Camera
Small towel/Hand towel (So you can have a wash in the sink)
Tooth brush/Tooth paste/Toiletries
Mags, books, money for T.V card (you'll be bored when babys asleep)
Mobile phone & charger (if you dont have a mobile, take money for the payphone
Baby wipes (to keep you looking fresh as a daisy lol)

Your Baby

1 pack of newborn nappies
Nappy bags (babys poo smells lol)
2 cotton vests (you can take more if you like)
2 sleepsuits (you can take more if you like)
cotton wool
baby wipes
Snowsuit? (this depends on when you give birth)
nappy cream (I use zinc and caster oil cream for zack and he didnt get nappy rash, but every baby is different)
Hat (when first born babys need alot of warmth)
scratch mittens (babys have very long finger nails)
bibs ? (not sure if you'll need these I didnt take them when last time, but will be taking them this time just incase)

Going home

Going home clothes for you (dont make the mistake of taking clothes you fit in before getting pregnant. Take something comfy, you'll be sore)
Going home clothes for baby(as I said before snowsuit if its winter etc)
Rear facing newborn car seat (I had to take mine into the hospital to prove I had one)
Baby hat (if sunny or cold) Thanks LouisecH totaly forgot about that :D
Socks (for baby to wear under going home outfit e.g sleepsuit)

Hope I havent missed anything out. Anyone want to add to that list?
This is just based on what im going to be taking, but different people need different things.

Forgot to put down mobile and charger.

I found that the nurses dont check if you have a mobile, just as long as your sneaky about using it. My mobile ran out of battery while in hospital, so I took my charger and pluged it into the wall by my bed lol :lol: I know im a cheeky cow. But its perfect unless you want to spend a huge amount of money on the pay phone.

I cannot recommend enough, taking lots of big pants that you don't care about. I took size 24 (I'm a size 16 normally) from BHS (few quid) and they were great to tuck my disgusting saggy tummy into and they contained my sanny pads sufficiently :lol:

I felt like changing mine (pants that is) at least 3 times a day but maybe that's me being neurotic (it was a strange time).

I was in hospital a few weeks because Zara was early so this may not effect you but...have a change of top incase your milk comes in and surprises you! A couple of nursing bras are handy too.

Oh and baby hat! Snow suit hoods are often too big.

Thanks thats brillant!!!

I will be sneaking my mobile in for sure, I cant live without it!!! I will be sending thousands of texts when I get chance!!! LOL

I was only talking with OH today about energy drinks and stuff, dont normally drink them, but I find they really help me during pregnancy when I am flagging, so I can imagine they will be terrific during labour/after the birth

I have only one request for after the birth, once I get home I want an ICY cold glass of champagne..I am craving it and it will taste so good after the hard work of giving birth!!! :lol:

Thats an amazing list, im taking notes.
Looks like you have got it covered!

totaly forgot about a hat ...oh and socks hehe *packed now* :D

Thanks for reminding me LouiseH :hug:

Bed socks for you!!!!!!!

Honestly I think I am the only person I have heard of that was freezing cold during labour........they put the fan on me and I began to chatter, I was freezing, yet I was working so bloody hard too :shock: :lol:

And if you are staying in hospital over night or for a while, then take some lavender oil to put in the bath, as this really helps with healing down below! I am not a herbal person, but I had complications with my birth and was told 3 months after the birth by my midwife to use this and it really helped, I think I may take in an inflatable ring too going by last time :rotfl: !!

Thankyou Violet, ive copied it all down. Its amazing how much stress that just goes as soon as you have a list!

yey for lists!

Love ali xxx

I'm planning to take some bronzer and lip gloss! Don't know if I'll use it but the thought of all them pics that will be around forever is making me have vain thoughts, I hate my photo being taken at the best of times :lol:

I took some make-up with me last time, didnt really use it apart from the eyeliner lol ill be taking it again, just so its there if i want it. :D

Baby wipes. good for you and the baby i used them in labour to when i got hot

Dose anyone no how long they keep you in with your second if everything is ok?

Yay!!! Ive finished my hospital bags!! :dance: :cheer:

I know its a bit early, but im going to keep adding to it no doubt lol

I havent started mine i just keep thinking i will do it the night before my section!

The one thing i didnt have was money for the tv had to send OH to the bank and gods it eats up ur one aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back