Just had a letter off the doctors....

charlotteheys85

Reaction score
Further to your recent visit to the surgery for blood tests, the doctor would like you to have a Haematinics Test. We have made an app for you etc.. etc..

I've tried lookin on Google, but its not clear what this test is, does anyone know??

The Midwife said i wouldnt need any more tests, and if there was a problem with my tests, i'd hear off them, if not i should assume everythings fine, and i'd next hear off them in 3-5wks..

bit worried.. but its prob something normal?? xx

haematinics is ferritin (iron level) vitamin B12 and folate. Soudns like you might be a little anaemic and the dr wants to find out if you need to start supplements.

(if you are low you can start now and won't have problems later in pregnancy but if your stores are low and you don't know you may run out later in ther pregnancy when everyone gets a bit anaemic and then you would feel really rotton).

nothing ot worry about :)

thanks for replys girls..

i thought you only get this from not eating meat?

And i eat alot of meat?

xx

charlotteheys85 said:
thanks for replys girls..

i thought you only get this from not eating meat?

And i eat alot of meat?

Not really. Iron is found in lots of foods. Also while you may be eating lots of red meat, you might then be eating or drinking other stuff that actually inhibits the absorption of it.

In early pregnancy (and then throughout) your body is working much harder and your blood flow increases round your body. In the early weeks of pregnancy until the placenta is working fully, your body is doing the work of the placenta.

So long as you are eating a balanced diet, not eating liver (as high in vitamin A and to be avoided when PG) once your GP has done a blood test it can confirm if you need an extra boost in tablet form.

Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron. Drinking orange juice it with a meal is always good therefore. Caffeine prevents it from absorbing well. Along with a few other things I forget now.

since found out was pregnant, i've stopped drinkin cofee and tea as much, and not coke.. I'm a sucker for diet coke, drink about 5 a day..

So maybe thats why.. But stopped about 3weeks ago,

Aslong as test is to help lil baby, i'm happy to do another test..

i'm petrified of needles.. but MW other didnt even leave a bruise she was that good :) so hopefully i'll get same one xx

thanks for replys girls xx

charlotteheys85 said:
since found out was pregnant, i've stopped drinkin cofee and tea as much, and not coke.. I'm a sucker for diet coke, drink about 5 a day..

So maybe thats why.. But stopped about 3weeks ago,

Coffee and tea are some of the things that do not aid absorption of iron :| Caffeine basically won't help you absorb iron as I understand it.

How much caffeine is in a can of coke anyways? Probably not as much as in a cup of coffee but its still a fair amount I think. I never touch the stuff. I'd be looking to reduce my caffeine intake in pregnancy for sure. Good you are doing so :)

TBH those fizzy diet drinks are filled with crap ingredients also :puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back