Job Seekers Allowance Alternative?

pandy

Reaction score
My girlfriend is due to give birth in 2 months. I am on jobseekers allowance but have been told by the jobcentre I have to start a course for 13 weeks.

My girlfriend doesn't really have much support from other people, so I am basically the only support she has.

Also we had planned to go to whales for a short week in october and now the course has gotten in the way.

I was wondering if there was a way for me to stop looking for work for a couple of months but still get money somehow, so I can be there for my girlfriend until she gives birth.

Thanks

Last edited:
Does your girlfriend get income support? If not she could claim that and it's £40 a week I think. I don't know about benefits for you sorry x

Hi,
Hope you see this, but basically, if you're gf is not entitled to any maternity etc pay, she can claim income support if it is less than 11 weeks until her due date. She can also claim this on your behalf. When you apply fo this they will argue, but you can do it. Me and my partner were entitled this summer for that exact reason. She can claim up until the baby is 15 weeks old, then it would have to turn to JSA.
Hope this helps
xx

the course your on about is F tech isn't it? the gateway to work shite. I am currently in a joint claim for job seekers with my partner and we can't claim income support till 29 weeks of my pregnancy. But we are getting the dribble about me getting a waver so he still signs on for both of us. I ain't letting them talk shite to me haha.
Basically if she isn't living with you then her benefits will be different. whats your living arrangments? You have your own place? parents? you living together or in seporate houses?
If you put in a joint claim then yeah you both could go on income support like we will be doing when I reach 29 weeks in December YAY x

i thought it would depend on weather you live together or not if you do it a joint claim and i dont see them letting you of jsa but i may be wrong on that as you are activily capable of looking for work you could try getting them to postpone the course till after the birth tho good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back