job hunting in first trimester - advice please

louise1982

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. I'm into my 10th week of pregnancy, it took us a little by surprise as while I had stopped taking the pill in Jan we really thought it would take us about a year to conceive. I had literally finished my social work degree the month I fell pregnant so I'm starting the frantic job search while I'm still not showing.
It's a little stressful as I feel I'm against the clock to find a job asap or risk being discriminated against, I know my rights and that the legally can't but that's not to say they won't find a reason not to hire me if they know I'm pregnant.
Anyway, is anyone else in my situation or can offer any words of wisdom / support?

I am in this situation too, I have exams in August but I am job searching as well, as I really can't be sitting at home with no job, I would be so bored! I think just apply to as many suitable jobs as you can, keep in mind that jobs that require you to stand for long periods of time or lift anything heavy won't be the best option, so look for something that won't tire you out.

They can't not offer you a job if you are pregnant, a lot of women still get employed when they are pregnant, so I say definitely keep applying for jobs, and don't stress the right job will come at the right time :) hopefully soon!

Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. I'm into my 10th week of pregnancy, it took us a little by surprise as while I had stopped taking the pill in Jan we really thought it would take us about a year to conceive. I had literally finished my social work degree the month I fell pregnant so I'm starting the frantic job search while I'm still not showing.
It's a little stressful as I feel I'm against the clock to find a job asap or risk being discriminated against, I know my rights and that the legally can't but that's not to say they won't find a reason not to hire me if they know I'm pregnant.
Anyway, is anyone else in my situation or can offer any words of wisdom / support?

im still looking for work but im being more fussy, nothing too tiring or lifting etc because i know i wont be able to do it, im too tired. BUT if i dont find work then ill just look after ive had my baby x

Just wondering but have you thought about applying for a 'job' for up to maternity leave and then picking up your career after leave?

I only say it because I know Im going to be have trouble with my employers and proving myself not to be written off when I get back etc...

Might actually be a positive thing...

Thanks for the advice! I am actually thinking now might be best to look for something temporary that'll cover maternity allowance requirements and pick up with the career after maternity leave. I know that officially you can't be discriminated against but I reckon there's ways to get round hiring you if they don't want to take on a pregnant woman. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable saying I was pregnant in the interview because of that but then it could get you off to a bad start with a permanent employer if they think you've been deceitful (even though you're just applying your rights!).

It's definately a minefield full of grey areas! Thanks again for the advice ladies I hope you're all doing well and good luck with you're job searching too x

After doing a lot of reading on this, I can confidently say it's not their business at the interview stage to know if you are pregnant or not, so at the interview you don't have to tell them anything, it also puts them in an unfair position, as even if they don't hire you because they find someone else they could be seen as not hiring you because you are pregnant. Once you have an offer you can tell them you are pregnant because they can't take that back, and if they do it's discrimination and that's illegal.

Good luck on the job search to all of us! I too am looking for something temporary till I can kick start my career again later on in the near future.

I started a job at 8 weeks pregnant and i didnt tell the employer til i was 14 weeks. EDvryone was fine about it but its just my maternity allowance which is up the swanny lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back