is this a scam?

mum2A&L

Reaction score
well ive just had a phone call from a company saying ive won a photo shoot competition.

its for me and a friend, for the whole day, with hair & make up... etc.. plus a free photo at the end. should cost around £500.

i seem to vaigly remember entering this comp, but they said they need a £30 each deposit which is refundable on the day. :think:

anyone heard of a scam like this? im just worried its too good to be true!

wats the name of the company? Doing a google on that name followed by "scam" will soon tell you :D

My friend had this a few years ago and invited me, we went to London to get then done and the photos were fab.
We ended up buying 12 pics at £500 :shock: :shock: If you bought 12 you got the rest free. They can be very persuasive, just be careful and stick to the free pic if you can.

They put loads of studio make up on too which is fine inside but outside a definite no no!!! Make sure they use clean brushes too I got conjunctivitus!!!!

Have fun its a great day out :)

ooo... sounds like it might not be. problem is ive now got to convince adam & my dad it isn't a scam.

has anyone else had any experience with this?

If they're saying you've won it... why are they wanting £30.00 from you...refundable on the day or not??? I would deffo say no to it!! :shakehead:

clasper said:
If they're saying you've won it... why are they wanting £30.00 from you...refundable on the day or not??? I would deffo say no to it!! :shakehead:

see thats what the little voice in my head keeps saying. but i really don't want to miss out if it is legit.

they are going to phone again tomorrow and i am going to question the £30. say my dad doesn't think it is right and too be careful. :wink:

Sam&Alice said:
clasper said:

see thats what the little voice in my head keeps saying. but i really don't want to miss out if it is legit.

they are going to phone again tomorrow and i am going to question the £30. say my dad doesn't think it is right and too be careful. :wink:

They'll still no doubt feed you a load of bull.... they'll no doubt have an answer for everything! I wouldnt trust it at all! :shakehead:

Bet they want your credit card details too....to take the £60 quid!!!

The £30 deposit is just to secure your place so if you dont turn up they arent losing out on money. Alot of companies do this now days, I've had it a few times

I had the exact same thing- Its not a scam BUT it is a very clever marketing strategy.

Basically they get you there, do u up, and take lovely photos making you look great then offer u a really small one for the £30 uve already paid but offer you the rest for the normal (expensive) price.

Because ur looking so great and the pics are fab they know its very hard to walk away with no more.

Go for it as it is an oppurtunity, but be aware u will find it hard to leave without spending more

see thats what i was thinking :think:

im swaying towards doing it.

how did you win? If you didnt enter to win something i would say its a scam or a way to get money out of you. :hug:

I won something like this once, they rang me to tell me and I was a bit worried but they didnt ask for any money or anything, they just said I would get a free photoshoot session and then one framed photo for free.

Obviously they took loads of gorgeous ones of Josh and if I had the money I would've bought them all! They went on and on and on at me to buy 'just one set' but I stuck with the free one and never paid a penny for anything. They wanted me to pay over £200 for the others! Yeah right :roll:

I think its safe enough if you're getting your £30 back, you just have to be firm with them and let them know you want the free photos and nothing else :)

i've decided im not going to do it. its going to be a pain to get to anyway. i really don't have £60 spare for me and my sister (even though i will get it back).

and the idea of having all thses lovely photos & no spare money to get them doesn't appeal.

thanks anyway ladies :hug:

These sorts of things are usually rubbish. They have also been on shows like Watchdog etc where yes the shoot, make up, day out etc is FREE but then they pressure talk you into the sales, so you end up spending hundreds of pounds on just a few pictures and still they make you leave minus the make up etc they applied earlier in the day. When someone phones me with offers like that or saying my postcode was selected (rubbish since my postcode covers the whole streeet!!) I tell them "what a load of rubbish" and hang the phone up. If you want portraits done go and have them done yourself, don't accept offers etc from phone vendors or door to door sales people - if you want a service go find a company you would like to complete the work etc, don't accept too good to be true offers from these people, they are normally taking a chance by ringing and have also phoned another 1,000 people by the end of the day to tell them the same thing....most people tell them to get lost but a stupid few accept the offers and then end up in dept over the pictures, or the work carried out is so bad they need to re-pay to have someone else fix it etc. Ignor things like that, not a good move what so ever.

Nicola said:
These sorts of things are usually rubbish. They have also been on shows like Watchdog etc where yes the shoot, make up, day out etc is FREE but then they pressure talk you into the sales, so you end up spending hundreds of pounds on just a few pictures and still they make you leave minus the make up etc they applied earlier in the day. When someone phones me with offers like that or saying my postcode was selected (rubbish since my postcode covers the whole streeet!!) I tell them "what a load of rubbish" and hang the phone up. If you want portraits done go and have them done yourself, don't accept offers etc from phone vendors or door to door sales people - if you want a service go find a company you would like to complete the work etc, don't accept too good to be true offers from these people, they are normally taking a chance by ringing and have also phoned another 1,000 people by the end of the day to tell them the same thing....most people tell them to get lost but a stupid few accept the offers and then end up in dept over the pictures, or the work carried out is so bad they need to re-pay to have someone else fix it etc. Ignor things like that, not a good move what so ever.

Just adding to my previous post, I did enter a competition in a Mothercare store with Pixifoto, I gave them my number and they rang to tell me Id won 3rd prize which was a free photo session and 1 free portrait.

I didnt just agree to some random person on the phone telling me Id won something.

Just so people know Im not stupid, thats all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back